• Join Us!
  • Grip Strength
  • Grip Strength
  • Grip Strength
  • Grip Strength
  • Grip Strength
  • Grip Strength
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Grip Strength

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Grip Strength

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength

• Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      By John Brookfield

Author of Mastery of Hand Strength,
      Training with Cables for Strength and The Grip Master's Manual
      Pinch Grip Wrist Curls

In this month’s Grip Tip we will explore a new exercise designed to develop your entire lower arm region. I experimented with it for a while and found it to be one of the best. It is an absolutely great exercise for building functional, usable lower arm strength. It utilizes the wrists, fingers, and thumbs in a different way and is actually a combination of three great exercises: the wrist curl, which develops forearm and wrist strength; the pinch grip, which develops hand strength with a special emphasis on the thumb; and the plate curl, which is develops wrist and finger strength. I will show you a little apparatus I designed in my back yard to perform Pinch Grip Wrist Curls, and to save time, I will show you the best way to work both arms at once.

You will need a 2” x 4”, or a 2” x 6” board, the choice is yours. However, the 2” x 6” board will be a little more difficult with the leverage factor. The length of your board doesn’t really matter; however, a board of about 40 inches in length is a good guideline to start with. Once you have your board, you will need to hammer a 30- or 40-penny nail into each end of the board. The nail should be securely nailed into the board, but not sticking through the other side of the wood. These nails will be used to hold your plates in place for the exercise. You will have to experiment a little to decide the right weight for your own level.

To start, sit on a bench or chair with the board held in a pinch grip position over your knees, with your thumb on top and your four fingers underneath the board. While maintaining this grip, start to move the board up and down just like a traditional wrist curl. Try to use a good range of motion on the movement, but be sure not to strain. Always start with a light weight until you get a feel for the exercise.

Pinch Grip Wrist Curls will really give your tendons a workout, which in return will give you great gains. Try this movement to breathe new life into your training.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Grip Strength

By John Brookfield

A New Twist

In this Grip Tip we will examine a simple exercise that will boost your wrist and forearm strength to new levels. It is perfect for anyone wishing to gain in the strongman game or at the arm wrestling table, or just to pack extra size and strength to the forearms.

To start, you will need is a five-gallon bucket full of sand and a round stick or heavy thick bar. The stick will probably work better—a round dowel rod about 1-1/4-inch thick will be your best bet. The length of the rod doesn’t really matter, but it needs to be at least three feet in length. If you buy a dowel rod from a hardware store, it will probably be either four or five feet in length. You can leave the rod at its original length or you can cut it shorter, but be sure to leave it at least three feet in length. Once you have your stick of choice and your bucket full of sand, you are ready to begin.

To start, ram the stick deeply into the sand. You should be able to get the stick into the sand by ramming it and twisting it. If this is difficult, simply tap it lightly with a hammer to the desired depth. From here, you are ready to exercise, and you can either train one hand at a time or both at once. For example, grab the stick with your right hand and twist, turning the stick with force toward the bottom of the bucket. Once you reach the bottom, twist the stick upward toward the top of the sand. You can twist the stick to the bottom using a counterclockwise motion and use a clockwise twisting motion to come to the top. The choice is yours. Be sure to work each hand equally to develop balanced strength. As I mentioned earlier, you can also twist with two hands at a time.

This new twist in your training will without a doubt take your strength to new levels. You will also have a lot of fun with the New Twist, which is one of the keys for making great gains

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

By John Brookfield

Back Pressure Breakthrough

In this month’s Grip Tip I will show you a little invention I put together. Although it is quite primitive in nature, I believe it is picture perfect for developing back pressure strength for arm wrestling. However, if you’re not an arm wrestler, this exercise will still greatly enhance the strength in your entire arm, including your hand and wrist. I found this one with a little bit of trial and error, and after a bit of experimentation, I knew I had found a real breakthrough concept for developing strength for back pressure.

To get started, you will need a 2” x 6” board. A 2” x 4” or a 2” x 8” will work just as well. However, I have found that the 2” x 6” is much more user friendly. The board can vary in length because this exercise works on the leverage principle; however, you might want to start with a board of 3 to 3-1/2 feet in length. Hammer a 30- or 40-penny nail into one end of the board; you want to be sure that the nail is secure but not coming through the wood on the other side.

Once this step is done, lay the board on a bench or table and gather a few weight plates, probably of a light nature. Place one of the small plates over the nail to hold the plate in place. Now take a towel or a short piece of thick rope and slip it under the board so that both ends come up over the top of the board so that you can grasp the ends together. Place your elbow on the end of the board and pull back on the ends of the towel or rope as if you were doing a hammer curl. This will cause the weighted end of the board to lever itself off the table.

You will have to find out for yourself how much weight to use. You will also need to experiment a bit to figure out where to place your towel or rope. The closer the towel is to your elbow, the harder the pull is. You will have fun with the Back Pressure Breakthrough. You can do reps, hold for time, or go heavy once you get a feel for the movement. As always, be sure to work both arms equally. Good luck and good pulling.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength

• Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      • Grip Strength
      By John Brookfield

Plate Seesaw

I am going share with you a great exercise that will pack added size to the forearm, as well as help keep you free from unwanted injuries. It is also unique in that it combines two different movements which together work every bit of the lower arm region, including the entire forearm, wrist, and fingers. It also gives the wrists a good stretch, working muscle fibers that are often unused, and the stretching of the muscles will also help prevent injuries. The Plate Seesaw is perfect for any athlete who needs lower arm strength, and it is also a jewel of an exercise for those seeking hand health.

For this one, all you need is a handful of weights. If you don’t have any weights, a brick or thin landscape tile could even work. To start, hold the weight at your side in a pinch-grip position with the back of your hand facing forward. Now flex your wrist backward so that the weight is pointing backward. From here, lower the weight to the starting position and raise the weight to the front by flexing your wrist forward. You are actually doing a form of a traditional wrist curl, first to the back, then to the front. However, this technique works the lower arm in a much different way as you will feel. It also utilizes the pinch grip because the weight is held down at your side.

Be sure to concentrate throughout the movement as you are getting a feel for it. Continue flexing your wrist backward, then forward. This will give you an unbelievable blood pump as you work to hang onto the weight. You will also get a great thumb workout as you seesaw the plate backward and forward.

You can go for reps, use a heavier weight, or even pause at different spots during the movement. I urge you to try the Plate Seesaw to enhance your lower arm strength as well as improve your hand health.