• Join Us!
  • Becca Swanson Interview
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Becca Swanson Interview

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Becca Swanson Interview

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

After last years Arnold, I ran to CVS to have my film developed first thing. Waited the hour and went home. Of course, my wife asked to see what we had drove all the way to Ohio to see. Kennelly? Harrington? A bodybuilder? Hell no!! It was Becca! From the warm up area to the platform she was one of the most impressive people I had the honor of meeting. She may not remember it but damn if I don't!

1) What drives you to be the best, your all ready the strongest woman in the sport?

I credit the fact that I never used other women (or men) for motivation. Numbers challenged me. If I were to see another female athlete as the challenge, could I have motivated myself to go beyond her upper limits? Beating her may have satisfied me, then I would not have strived for anything more. And I know this is long winded, but if I chose another person to chase, I have just taken a back seat to that person, put myself in second place. That is not where I want to stand, mentally. I have to credit Rick Hussey, my coach, for always expecting more.

2) If there's ever a movie made about you, who would play yourself?

Oh, gees… A man in drag. Patrick Swayze did good in drag for that To Wong Foo movie. We would have to jack him up a bit though.

3) Your considered a goddess by a few of us on here. Who among your peers sticks out in your mind?

Jill Mills, hands down. Her physique, light or heavy, is amazing. She is a great powerlifter and strongwoman competitor. Jill has a strong mentality. Above all, she is an outstanding friend.

4) Outside of power lifting, what does Becca Swanson the person enjoy?

I work a crap load, so there is not much time. Late at night, driving home I love to call my friends especially Kara Bohigan, she cracks me up. I enjoy seeing my nieces and nephews, Auntie B (formerly Uncle Becca, but we didn’t want to confuse the kids). Rick and I bought a tiny cottage on a small acreage last year. I love hanging out on the hammock in the woods. I wish I had more time to enjoy outside things, but I am happy at work.

5) What one lift are you most proud of?

I can’t really say one lift. I am more proud of the fact I paved the way for women to be very strong. I am proud to be “The first woman to…” squat 700, 800, bench 500, total 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900 and 2000. Back to the numbers again ;o)

6) Here's our token question; who's the greatest PL er of all time? Of today? (You can answer with men or women since you’re our first lady on here)

Oh, I am going to get ridiculed. I believe Becca Swanson is the greatest powerlifter of all-time. No other lifter has changed the spectrum of the sport, while being so unchallenged and unprecedented.

I am also going to say Garry Frank. He is athletic. Any man that has the highest total ever and can move such volume of weight in a three-lift meet has my respect.

7) You recently dropped down a weight to compete; where do you feel the strongest at vs. the healthiest?

I feel stronger heavier, 245ish. I felt great… yeah healthy, at 217 which is what I actually weighed before dropping water at the Arnold. But, I lost some strength down there in the bench and deadlift. I was under 10% body fat, which is so wrong in the sport of powerlifting, LOL

8) I asked Bill a similar question. ESPN can televise frigging' "Poker", but not the Arnold? Do you think things will ever change?

Are you watching Poker, or are you watching celebrities? I heard a phrase once and it always applies, “It’s all about sponsorship.” People ask me, “Becca, why don’t you have huge sponsors?” Answer: “Because nobody wants a 250 lb chic representing their product.” The same applies to powerlifting. Unless we package it in an attractive way, with aesthetically pleasing bodies we will get nowhere. Kieran Kidder is the only person who is giving energy in this direction. I think America would like to see our sport. I hope it does change.

Just wanted to mention I do have some awesome sponsors, Red Bull, Inzer and FSI Nutrition – look out for the “8 Ball” line.

9) You post totals that make a lot of grown men piss themselves. How much more are you shooting for? What's next on your meet calendar?

I set a goal and that goal was to total 2000 lbs. I achieved it and I had to make myself back off. I am winding down, reflecting and analyzing. In the mean time, I committed myself to a bench only lift at the Debbie Kruck Classic. She was the first female physique I found inspiration in. To be invited to guest lift at her show means I have come full circle. I may try my hand at Olympic lifting.

10) What advice can you give any females (we have some on here) that want to compete?

Always compete against yourself. Always listen to your coach. Train with people who are stronger than you.

Becca, thanks again for taking the time to do this. You are a credit to our sport and sweetheart to boot. I don't think I have ever seen you turn down anyone wanting an autograph or a picture. A lot of females could learn how to carry themselves as well as how to lift from you. Please take all the space you need to thank/mention your sponsors or anyone else.

Thanks for having me as a guest. We are trying to get some updated info out on bigirongym.com. Check us out there for the latest Big Iron Gym news. Some other good sites are beccaswanson.com and strongestever.com. I hope each and every one of you out there reaches your goal. I love powerlifters, don’t hesitate to say hi if you see me at a meet.

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Becca Swanson Interview

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!