First, obviously the hip joint is going to be most effected by weight-bearing activity. Therefore, one thing to consider would be to compete in a lower weight class. The less weight you walk around carrying all day, the less demand or loading the hips undertake. You will most likely get more accumulated strain on your hips from standing and walking around everyday then you will get from any one training day.

When doing any exercise, be it GPP or specific weight-training, you need to be aware of not only weight-bearing, but also impact forces. For instance if you do sled dragging or farmers walks for GPP, doing them on grass will give you less impact than doing them on concrete. Plyometric drills and jumps create significant impact.

I would recommend that you work on hip mobility drills to keep the joint from becoming stiff and restricting motion. Often OA can result in the joint capsule becoming stiff/contracted. You definitely need to avoid this in order to be able to retain proper squat form. You won't be able to sit back and get to proper depth without good hip mobility. The Magnificent Mobility DVD is excellent for hip and lower extremity mobility. Often chiropractors can do some joint distraction and moilization that could be beneficial to your condition. Findng one with a sports medicine or training background would be best.

If you don't already wear them, I would suggest getting either squat briefs or a squat suit, or both. They will help to provide support to the hip joints.

As far as your training program, controlling the volume and intensity of your training will be important. If any exercise or specific foot position bothers you, you will need to weigh the value of it to your overall program. You may want to post a question for other master lifters or lifters in general who might have the same issue or have worked through it. Some of the 'in the trenches' experience may really help you out and avoid you from making the problem worse.

Best of luck to you and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Take care,

Ryan