I'm trying to start a mature, intelligent discussion, because I don't understand why bodybuilding can be considered a sport, rather than a contest or a competition. I'm not saying bodybuilding can't be extremely difficult, or that it doesn't take a ton of dedication and hard work, but i still just don't get how it's a sport.

I consider it a competition,but not a sport

I considering the World's Strongest Man competitions a sport as the winner is based on how they perform in the events.

Competitive bodybuilding to me is akin to dog or car shows.You're showcasing your product.Which in this case is your body.Kind of like a male beauty pagent if you know what I mean.Because unlike says sports like basketball,golf,soccer,etc.Those have clear cut rules to determine a clear cut winner.Sure weightlifting is an athletic activity,but on the stage your not being judged on athletic performance.You're being judged on looks,so how's that different from a pagent

But in competitive bodybuilding it's not based on something clear cut.But based more on opinion/personal bias.Kind of like how IMO IFBB is more size oriented then asthetic(sp) oriented