• Join Us!
  • Here we go again!!!!!!
  • Here we go again!!!!!!
  • Here we go again!!!!!!
  • Here we go again!!!!!!
  • Here we go again!!!!!!
  • Here we go again!!!!!!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Here we go again!!!!!!

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Here we go again!!!!!!

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!

• Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      HERE WE GO AGAIN OUTSOURCING OUR NATIONAL DEFENSE!! When is the Bush administration ever going to learn?

WASHINGTON - In the aftermath of the Dubai ports dispute, the Bush administration is hiring a Hong Kong conglomerate to help detect nuclear materials inside cargo passing through the Bahamas to the United States and elsewhere.

The administration acknowledges the no-bid contract with Hutchison Whampoa Ltd. represents the first time a foreign company will be involved in running a sophisticated U.S. radiation detector at an overseas port without American customs agents present.

Freeport in the Bahamas is 65 miles from the U.S. coast, where cargo would be likely to be inspected again. The contract is currently being finalized.

The administration is negotiating a second no-bid contract for a Philippine company to install radiation detectors in its home country, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press. At dozens of other overseas ports, foreign governments are primarily responsible for scanning cargo.

While President Bush recently reassured Congress that foreigners would not manage security at U.S. ports, the Hutchison deal in the Bahamas illustrates how the administration is relying on foreign companies at overseas ports to safeguard cargo headed to the United States.

Hutchison Whampoa is the world's largest ports operator and among the industry's most-respected companies. It was an early adopter of U.S. anti-terror measures. But its billionaire chairman, Li Ka-Shing, also has substantial business ties to China's government that have raised U.S. concerns over the years.

"Li Ka-Shing is pretty close to a lot of senior leaders of the Chinese government and the Chinese Communist Party," said Larry M. Wortzel, head of a U.S. government commission that studies China security and economic issues. But Wortzel said Hutchison operates independently from Beijing, and he described Li as "a very legitimate international businessman."

"One can conceive legitimate security concerns and would hope either the Homeland Security Department or the intelligence services of the United States work very hard to satisfy those concerns," Wortzel said.

Three years ago, the Bush administration effectively blocked a Hutchison subsidiary from buying part of a bankrupt U.S. telecommunications company, Global Crossing Ltd., on national security grounds.

And a U.S. military intelligence report, once marked "secret," cited Hutchison in 1999 as a potential risk for smuggling arms and other prohibited materials into the United States from the Bahamas.

Hutchison's port operations in the Bahamas and Panama "could provide a conduit for illegal shipments of technology or prohibited items from the West to the PRC (People's Republic of China), or facilitate the movement of arms and other prohibited items into the Americas," the now-declassified assessment said.

The CIA currently has no security concerns about Hutchison's port operations, and the administration believes the pending deal with the foreign company would be safe, officials said.

Supervised by Bahamian customs officials, Hutchison employees will drive the towering, truck-like radiation scanner that moves slowly over large cargo containers and scans them for radiation that might be emitted by plutonium or a radiological weapon.

Any positive reading would set off alarms monitored simultaneously by Bahamian customs inspectors at Freeport and by U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials working at an anti-terrorism center 800 miles away in northern Virginia. Any alarm would prompt a closer inspection of the cargo, and there are multiple layers of security to prevent tampering, officials said.

"The equipment operates itself," said Bryan Wilkes, a spokesman for the U.S. National Nuclear Security Administration, the agency negotiating the contract. "It's not going to be someone standing at the controls pressing buttons and flipping switches."

A lawmaker who helped lead the opposition to the Dubai ports deal isn't so confident. Neither are some security experts. They question whether the U.S. should pay a foreign company with ties to China to keep radioactive material out of the United States.

"Giving a no-bid contract to a foreign company to carry out the most sensitive security screening for radioactive materials at ports abroad raises many questions," said Sen. Charles Schumer (news, bio, voting record), D-N.Y.

A low-paid employee with access to the screening equipment could frustrate international security by studying how the equipment works and which materials set off its alarms, warned a retired U.S. Customs investigator who specialized in smuggling cases.

"Money buys a lot of things," Robert Sheridan said. "The fact that foreign workers would have access to how the United States screens various containers for nuclear material and how this technology scrutinizes the containers — all those things allow someone with a nefarious intention to thwart the screening."

Other experts discounted concerns. They cited Hutchison's reputation as a leading ports company and said the United States inevitably must rely for some security on large commercial operators in the global maritime industry.

"We must not allow an unwarranted fear of foreign ownership or involvement in offshore operations to impair our ability to protect against nuclear weapons being smuggled into this country," said Sen. Norm Coleman (news, bio, voting record), R-Minn., a member of the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs. "We must work with these foreign companies."

A former Coast Guard commander, Stephen Flynn, said foreign companies sometimes prove more trustworthy — and susceptible to U.S. influence — than governments.

"It's a very fragile system," Flynn said. Foreign companies "recognize the U.S. has the capacity and willingness to exercise a kill switch if something goes wrong."

A spokesman for Hutchison's ports subsidiary, Anthony Tam, said the company "is a strong supporter in port security initiatives."

"In the case of the Bahamas, our local personnel are working alongside with U.S. customs officials to identify and inspect U.S.-bound containers that could be carrying radioactive materials," Tam said.

However, there are no U.S. customs agents checking any cargo containers at the Hutchison port in Freeport. Under the contract, no U.S. officials would be stationed permanently in the Bahamas with the radiation scanner.

The administration is finalizing the contract amid a national debate over maritime security sparked by the furor over now-abandoned plans by Dubai-owned DP World to take over significant operations at major U.S. ports.

Hutchison operates the sprawling Freeport Container Port on Grand Bahama Island. Its subsidiary, Hutchison Port Holdings, has operations in more than 20 countries but none in the United States.

Contract documents, obtained by The Associated Press, indicate Hutchison will be paid roughly $6 million. The contract is for one year with options for three years.

The Energy Department's National Nuclear Security Administration is negotiating the Bahamas contract under a $121 million security program it calls the "second line of defense." Wilkes, the NNSA spokesman, said the Bahamian government dictated that the U.S. give the contract to Hutchison.

"It's their country, their port. The driver of the mobile carrier is the contractor selected by their government. We had no say or no choice," he said. "We are fortunate to have allies who are signing these agreements with us."

Some security experts said that is a weak explanation in the Bahamas, with its close reliance on the United States. The administration could insist that the Bahamas permit U.S. Customs agents to operate at the port, said Albert Santoli, an expert on national security issues in Asia and the Pacific.

"Why would they not accept that?" said Santoli, a former national security aide to Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (news, bio, voting record), R-Calif. "There is an interest in the Bahamas and every other country in the region to make sure the U.S. stays safe and strong. That's how this should be negotiated."

Flynn, the former Coast Guard commander, agreed the Bahamas would readily accept such a proposal but said the U.S. is short of trained customs agents to send overseas.

Contract documents obtained by the AP show at least one other foreign company is involved in the U.S. radiation-detection program.

A separate, no-bid $4 million contract the Bush administration is negotiating would pay a Manila-based company, International Container Terminal Services Inc., to install radiation detectors at the Philippines' largest port.

The U.S. says the Manila company is not being paid to operate the radiation monitors once they are installed. But two International Container executives and a senior official at the government's Philippine Nuclear Research Institute said the company will run the detectors on behalf of the institute and the country's customs bureau. U.S. officials said they will investigate further how the Filipinos plan to use the equipment.

Below is the direct link.......
      https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060323/...curity_bahamas

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Here we go again!!!!!!

I don't know what to think. It is a port in the Bahamas? I just don't like the fact that US Customs Agents won't be supervising this!!! They are going to be 800 miles away waiting for an alarm to sound off? Hmmm.....makes a whole lot of sense. NOT!!!
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I got no problem with that at all. Think about it, China has just as sophisticated equipment as we do. Besided, we import half the stuff we own from that country. China may be a communist country but they are coming around. They've even allowed permission form Christian churches to be open, with permits that is. China is the least of my concerns.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007
      I got no problem with that at all. Think about it, China has just as sophisticated equipment as we do. Besided, we import half the stuff we own from that country. China may be a communist country but they are coming around. They've even allowed permission form Christian churches to be open, with permits that is. China is the least of my concerns.

Maybe so Tmann, but China isn't stupid! They are the type of country that will take decades and decades of setting things up for the right time to make their move. They are a very patient people, and take their time planning, and executing their plans. Mark my words China will be the next world power. Allowing them to take control of more is just getting them their faster.

Stout1 is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 62
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJDIGGLER
      Maybe so Tmann, but China isn't stupid! They are the type of country that will take decades and decades of setting things up for the right time to make their move. They are a very patient people, and take their time planning, and executing their plans. Mark my words China will be the next world power. Allowing them to take control of more is just getting them their faster.
      I will have to agree, CHINA is on the verge of becoming more powerful than us in every aspect: military, money, etc.
      Thomas Jefferson - "When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny."

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Stout1
      I will have to agree, CHINA is on the verge of becoming more powerful than us in every aspect: military, money, etc.
      Yep!!! They have one if not the fastest growing economy in the World! Their GDP has increased significantly during the last decade!!! Look at their Space Program for example.
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I hate to say it, but China is already the worlds greatest power. There are equal to us in technology and their military has over 1 million people. However, the main thing that China needs is export, and we buy a lot of stuff from them. Just about anything you can imagine is either made in China or the parts to make it are made in China. So, they would have to cut off their own income to turn against us. Economically, it just would make sense for China to turn on us. They need us to import all the stuff we import, without that they would be in totaly poverty. The Chinese know not to bite the hand that feeds them. And, we are the country that feeds them.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I agree with what your saying tmann. But if they just happen to let something slip through the ports to deal us a significant blow it would be a very indirect way of taking us down a notch. Plus they will be probably smart enough to make sure it can't be tracked back to them.

I guess my point is if you were to send your family into a bad neighborhood you wouldn't send someone else in to protect them, when you know you will readily give your life for thier safety. The same goes for America, americans will readily give their lives to protect their homeland, do you honestly think foriegn governments would give their lives to protect american soil?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!

• Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      • Here we go again!!!!!!
      I agree with what your saying tmann. But if they just happen to let something slip through the ports to deal us a significant blow it would be a very indirect way of taking us down a notch. Plus they will be probably smart enough to make sure it can't be tracked back to them.

I guess my point is if you were to send your family into a bad neighborhood you wouldn't send someone else in to protect them, when you know you will readily give your life for thier safety. The same goes for America, americans will readily give their lives to protect their homeland, do you honestly think foriegn governments would give their lives to protect american soil?
      I see your point and you are right. But, China does indeed depend on this country. If they knocked us down a notch it would reduce the amount of products we import from them which would cause them just as much trouble economically. China is not a self sufficiant country, they depend greatly on the amount of money we give them in import of products they make. If it was Russia, I would worry, but not China. The Chineses are people of honor, loyalty and respect. They are who they are and they don't try to be somethign they aren't. They have always been a people of honor. That in itself is satisfaction enough for me. As far as the protecting american soil thing, I think they are just going to be supplying and operating the equipment. If that's the case, I'm more than sure out government will have their equipment tested on a regular basis to make sure we are safe.