• Join Us!
  • Study: Not Every Hernia Needs to Be Fixed
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Study: Not Every Hernia Needs to Be Fixed

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Study: Not Every Hernia Needs to Be Fixed

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Study: Not Every Hernia Needs to Be Fixed

CHICAGO - Men with hernias but little or no pain can safely go without surgery unless things really start to hurt, a study found. "Not every hernia needs to be fixed," said Dr. Olga Jonasson of the University of Illinois at Chicago, co-author of the study in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association.

U.S. surgeons fix more than 600,000 hernias a year, making it one of the most common procedures. The study offers guidance to doctors on whether it is OK to leave a pain-free hernia untreated.

In an accompanying editorial, Dr. David Flum of the University of Washington's surgery department said hernia surgery for patients without pain may soon disappear, just as preventive tonsillectomies have done.

"We've really moved far away from preventive surgery, and this is another example of that," said Flum, who was not involved in the study.

Groin hernias look like a lump under the skin and are caused when part of the intestine bulges through a weak part of the muscle wall of the abdomen. Men get them more often than women. Muscle strain from heavy lifting, obesity and persistent coughing can lead to hernias.

They can cause painful bowel obstructions and sometimes can cut off blood to part of the bowel, requiring emergency surgery. Doctors repair them by opening the abdomen, pushing the intestine back where it belongs and sometimes reinforcing the opening with mesh before stitching the muscle wall and skin closed.

Researchers followed 720 men, most of them middle-aged, with groin hernias for about four years. Half were randomly assigned to get their hernias fixed. The other half were told to do nothing except see their doctors periodically and if the hernias got bad.

After two years, the groups had similar levels of pain. Only two men in the "watchful waiting" group developed severe problems with their hernias after four years.

About 30 percent of the men in the "watchful waiting" group decided to have surgery during the four years because they developed symptoms. And about 17 percent of the men assigned to surgery did not go through with it, possibly for other health reasons.

About 20 percent of the men who had surgery had surgical complications, including three men whose complications were life-threatening.

"The operation itself is not necessarily a free ride," Jonasson said.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

TestRip7 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Study: Not Every Hernia Needs to Be Fixed

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Good read. When I got mine a couple months ago my doc told me that if I was older and not as active he wouldn't have recommended surgery and just told me to wait. But since I told him there was no way I was getting out of the gym or lifting lower weights he went ahead and put that mesh screen in me and screwed it into the muscle. No Problems at all, I got the surgery on a Fri. morning and on Sunday afternoon I washed my truck.

Disclaimer: Any information that TestRip7 shares is strictly for entertainment and role playing purposes only. TestRip7 is a fictional character and in no way condones the use of any illegal substances or activities otherwise.