Suns Lose Second Triple-Overtime Thriller

Carmelo Anthony wasn't coming out until the game was over. So, he took it upon himself to end it. It was an ending all too familiar to the Phoenix Suns. Anthony scored 43 points, including the game-winner with 2.9 seconds left in the third overtime, sending the Denver Nuggets past the Suns 139-137 on Tuesday night.

Anthony played the final 2 1/2 minutes with watery eyes and tissue paper in his left nostril to keep blood from gushing out after he was inadvertently kicked in the face by teammate Eduardo Najera.

But he shook off the injury to make the winning basket for the second straight game. His jumper gave the Nuggets a 92-90 victory at Houston on Sunday night.

"I didn't get hit in my nose, more around my eye, and across the bridge of my nose," Anthony said. "I didn't feel it in my nose, I felt it in my forehead."

But he never thought about calling it a night.

"You are just going on adrenaline," he said.

That hasn't been enough for the Suns, who again had nothing to show for their 63 minutes on the court. Phoenix also had a triple-overtime loss on Jan. 2 in New York.

"I don't know what it is about overtimes," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We don't get overtime pay, so I don't know why we do it."

In other games, it was: Boston 98, Atlanta 94; New York 92, Cleveland 84; Charlotte 111, Houston 106 in double overtime; San Antonio 96, New Jersey 91; Memphis 99, Sacramento 85; Detroit 96, New Orleans 86; Milwaukee 95, Minnesota 92; and the Los Angeles Clippers 90, Orlando 73.

At Denver, Earl Boykins added a career-best 33 points in the Nuggets' first triple-overtime game in a decade. He scored nine points in the first overtime, but with the score tied at 117, he missed a 12-footer at the buzzer that would have won it.

Denver's Andre Miller made two poor decisions in the closing seconds of the second overtime, forcing the third extra period. Anthony was hurt halfway through that overtime, but remained in the game.

"I wasn't going to miss no time, not in a game like that," he said.

Raja Bell led Phoenix with 30 points, followed by Shawn Marion with 28, Steve Nash with 26, James Jones with 22 and Boris Diaw with 12. Nash fouled out for the first time since 1999-00.

"Tiring," Nash said. "This was tiring."

Spurs 96, Nets 91

At San Antonio, Tim Duncan scored 27 points, going 13-for-15 from the free-throw line, and the Spurs snapped New Jersey's 10-game winning streak.

The Spurs withstood a late surge from the Nets and extended their home winning streak to 12.

Knicks 92, Cavaliers 84

At Cleveland, Jamal Crawford scored 26 points, 20 in the second half, and New York won its season-high fourth straight.

LeBron James had 36 points, seven rebounds and seven assists in 46 minutes. He became the first NBA player to get at least 30 points, seven rebounds and five assists in seven straight games since Oscar Robertson in 1966.

Bobcats 111, Rockets 106, 2OT

At Charlotte, N.C., Raymond Felton made a running jumper with 20 seconds to play in the second overtime, then hit a pair of free throws to seal a costly victory.

The Bobcats lost Emeka Okafor and Brevin Knight to injuries in the final minutes. They were led by Gerald Wallace, who had 26 points and 14 rebounds.

Juwan Howard scored 28 points for Houston, 0-9 this season without Tracy McGrady.

Grizzlies 99, Kings 85

At Memphis, Tenn., Mike Miller had 21 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists, recording the Grizzlies' first triple-double since moving from Vancouver.

Miller had the first triple-double by a reserve since Shawn Bradley accomplished the feat in April 1998, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Pau Gasol led Memphis with 27 points, while Hakim Warrick scored a career-high 16. Mike Bibby had 26 points for the Kings, who lost their second straight.

Pistons 96, Hornets 86

At Oklahoma City, Richard Hamilton scored 30 points, including 20 in the second half, and Detroit improved its NBA-best record to 27-5.

The Hornets lost their second straight despite the unexpected return of rookie point guard Chris Paul, who started despite a torn ligament in his right hand. Paul was expected to miss two weeks, but had 13 points and five assists in 34 minutes.

Clippers 90, Magic 73

At Los Angeles, Cuttino Mobley scored 18 points as the Clippers won without the injured Elton Brand.

Jameer Nelson led Orlando with 18 points — bettering his 12.3 average.

Celtics 98, Hawks 94

At Atlanta, Ricky Davis converted a three-point play with 1:40 left to give Boston its first lead since the opening quarter, and the Celtics held on for the victory.

Paul Pierce scored 27 points and Davis added 21 to lead the Celtics, who denied Atlanta its first three-game winning streak since April 2004.

Bucks 95, Timberwolves 92

At Milwaukee, Michael Redd scored 22 points and the Bucks snapped a three-game losing streak.

Marko Jaric scored 21 points, but missed a 3-pointer as time expired for the Timberwolves, who have lost five of their last six.