• Join Us!
  • Source: Heat Coach Van Gundy Resigns
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Source: Heat Coach Van Gundy Resigns

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Source: Heat Coach Van Gundy Resigns

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Source: Heat Coach Van Gundy Resigns
      MIAMI - Miami Heat coach Stan Van Gundy, who led the team to the best record in the Eastern Conference a season ago, resigned Monday citing family reasons.

A team official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the decision had not been made public, told The Associated Press that Van Gundy's resignation would be announced later Monday.

The team called a news conference for 11 a.m. EST, saying Van Gundy, team president and former coach Pat Riley and Heat owner Micky Arison would appear.

It was not immediately clear who would replace Van Gundy, but indications were Riley, who chose him as his successor a little more than two years ago, could return to the sideline.

Van Gundy's job status has been the subject of speculation in South Florida for months, starting when Riley — his mentor — said shortly after the Heat's 2005 playoff run ended that he decide to take a larger role in the team's day-to-day operations.

That comment, which seemed innocuous at the time, set off a storm of speculation that Riley was planning to dismiss Van Gundy and take over a team with two of the NBA's biggest stars, Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade.

Riley and Van Gundy eventually met for nearly four hours in mid-July. Van Gundy emerged from that session saying he was assured that he'd remain Heat coach.

But the team has struggled in its first 21 games, going only 11-10 — albeit without O'Neal for 18 of them while the 12-time All-Star nursed a sprained right ankle. Still, it wasn't the start anybody expected from a team built to contend for an NBA championship.

Van Gundy was Riley's top assistant for eight seasons, getting the job shortly before the 2003-04 campaign when Riley walked into his office unexpectedly and told him he was stepping aside.

And just as suddenly, Van Gundy is now gone, hours after leading the Heat to an overtime win over Washington on Sunday night.

If Riley returns, he'd be bringing some impressive background with him.

Riley, a winner of 1,110 games in 21 seasons, led the "Showtime" Lakers of Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to titles in 1982, 1985, 1987 and 1988. He also coached the New York Knicks (1991-95) and then the Heat from 1995 through 2003.

"I'm not ever going to rule it out," Riley said this summer when asked about returning. "I think over the last couple of years, Stan has done a great job and I've stayed way in the background. I may take a little bit more of an active, I think, participation in some of the things, but for the most part I'm content at doing what I'm doing."

Before coming to the Heat, Van Gundy had college stints at Vermont, Castleton State, Canisius, Fordham, UMass-Lowell and Wisconsin. When Riley joined the Heat, Van Gundy came with him — in large part because his brother, Jeff, was under contract to the New York Knicks and couldn't stay on Riley's staff.

His first season as head coach didn't get off to a good start, with the Heat losing Van Gundy's first seven games. But with Wade leading a talented nucleus of young players, Miami finished that season 42-40 and as the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

And that summer, Riley sent three players to Los Angeles for O'Neal — part of three championships with the Lakers. Van Gundy coached the Heat to a second consecutive season of a 17-win improvement, getting them to 59-23 and guiding them to the Southeast Division title and to the East finals.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

Testify is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Source: Heat Coach Van Gundy Resigns

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I just saw this on ESPN - that is crazy. I wonder what was the reason. I hope nothing serious with his family.