• Join Us!
  • Are You Eating Enough?
  • Are You Eating Enough?
  • Are You Eating Enough?
  • Are You Eating Enough?
  • Are You Eating Enough?
  • Are You Eating Enough?
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Are You Eating Enough?

Waterboy is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Are You Eating Enough?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?

• Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      Are You Eating Enough?
      By Leah Wynne

I am always amazed at how little food some people eat. Maybe I'm just a glutton, but I could not survive on what some people call meals. A lot of times, people don't even realize they're not eating enough food until I get them to figure out their daily caloric needs with this formula. Once they do, they're often shocked to see how little they eat.

Use the following formula as a guideline for determining your daily caloric needs. There are more accurate formulas which take into consideration your bodyfat percentage, however I suspect that only a few actually know they're bf%this one will still give a good indication of your needs. Because it doesn't take into consideration bf% however, it will underestimate your needs if you are overly muscular (hmmm, I didn't know that was possible).

First you need to determine your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) with the following equation. Your BMR is the total number of calories your body needs if you did nothing but lie in bed all day with no activity at all.

Men:
      BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women:
      BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

* Note: 1 inch = 2.54 cm and 1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs.

Example:

Male, 27, 180lbs, 5'11"
      66 + (13.7 x 81.81kg) + (5 x 180 cm) - (6.8 x 27 yrs) = 1903

So, in this example your BMR is 1903. Next you need to determine your total daily energy expenditure, which is a fancy way of saying what you need to maintain your weight. Multiply your BMR with the corresponding figure for your activity level.

Activity Multiplier

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
      Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
      Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
      Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
      Extremely active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job Or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Example:
      BMR = 1903, we'll use 1.725 for a very active individual.
      1903 x 1.725 = 3282

So, in this example you need 3282 calories per day to maintain your current weight.

Now that you know how to determine your maintenance needs, you can adjust your figures to reach certain goals. If you are looking to gain some weight (hopefully you want muscle) you would eat above your maintenance and if you were looking to lose fat, you'd eat below your maintenance. While everyone is different, a general guideline is to add or subtract 500 cals per day to/from your maintenance. Some may find that they need to adjust that figure. Be sure to monitor your gains though, if you increase your calories too fast, you will likely gain a lot of fat as opposed to muscle. Similarly, if you drop your cals too fast or too much, you will slow your metabolism down and it will take longer to lose fat.

Knowing your BMR and maintenance requirements is useless if you don't know how to use this information. First off, if you haven't been logging your meals, there's really no way to know for sure how many calories you've been consuming. You really should log your meals for at least a week before using this information. Secondly, the figures are general guidelines remember. If you've been maintaining your weight at say 2500 cals and you've worked your maintenance out to be 2200, I'd stick w/ the 2500 figure as that's what's been working for you.

Now, let's talk macronutrient breakdowns. You can manipulate your protein/carb/fat ratios to achieve different goals. For instance, when I cut for a competition, I usually drop my calorie intake and use a 50/30/20 p/c/f split. If I am just maintaining, I might use a 40/40/20 split. Whatever split you choose, make sure it works for you. If you're consistently lacking in energy you may need to increase your carb intake, that is assuming you are getting enough calories in the first place.

So what do all these breakdowns mean? Well, now that you've picked a macronutrient split, you can figure out how many grams of each you need. For our example, we'll use 3000 calories a day with a 30/50/20 breakdown.

Both protein and carbohydrates have four calories per gram while fat has nine calories per gram.

3000 x 30% = 900 calories from protein 900 / 4 calories per gram = 225 grams protein per day
      3000 x 50% = 1500 calories from carbs 1500 / 4 calories per gram = 375 grams carbs per day
      3000 x 20% = 600 calories from fat 600 / 9 calories per gram = 66 grams fat per day

Ok, so now you're armed with all the information necessary to keep your energy levels high, reach your goals and change your body composition if desired. Now I'm going to bring up a food log again. It may seem like a pain in the ass to write everything down, but think of it as an investment. Not only will you be able to reach your goals much faster than just winging it, but you will eventually get to the point where you know what and how much to eat without having to log at all.

Take nothing I say as serious, What do I know, I sell water!!

Vet@FitnessGeared.com

Evil Ryu
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Re: Are You Eating Enough?

thats all good but many champion bodybuilders don't even go as far as calculating micros and macros or mg's of this and that. At least thats what they claim.

Skarhead is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 576
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I log all my food and then eat the same shit e/d so i know what im getting daily, if i dont grow or get fat, i can adjust the cals... imo 275 pro is enough for 160 lber at best

Evil Ryu
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

what do you mean 275 pro is enough for 160 lber

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

275 pro isnt that much, IMO... To gain muscle I think protein intake has to be MUCH higher than 30% of the cals

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

You have to be careful though. I was into eating a high protien diet and ate as much healthy crap as I could to bulk up over a period of 6 meals a day. Now I have freaking high cholesterol. So It's not good to always be eating like a hog. The only crappy thing is now that I'm eating a diet that will lower cholesterol, its making me drop weight like crazy. No matter what you do there is no winning.

btw good post waterboy.

Evil Ryu
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

It depends on the individual. some grow off of high carbs, mod protein and some off of high protein low carbs. I think carbs are just as crucial as protein in the diet cuz they spare the pro intake from being used for energy. so in theory if your ingesting enough carbs for your body daily then you can probably get away with not having to ingest high amounts of protein. the only time i ever did like 2 - 2.5 g/lbs of protein is when i was dieting for a show and i had a low carb day.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

DJ, i dont think protein itselfw ould be the cause of high cholesterol but mahybes omething that you were eating?

RYU i agree, some people can grow well off not that much protein ... some 1 g per lb. i have a few buds who grow pretty well dong just under 1.5... Im finding the best is 2g per lb +

i also agree carbs are very important. I under ate carbs for awhile and did not grow even with the extreme protein..

with that said though I think a big flaw in people's diets is not consistantly getting enough protein. esp while ON

Evil Ryu
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?

• Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      • Are You Eating Enough?
      a lot of protein sources are high in cholesterol like some cuts of steak egg yolks and next time check the cholesterol in your protein shake. most whey protein shakes have an average of 50 mg per serving. multiply that by 2 servings per sitting times three shakes a day and your already at the rda for cholesterol on top of the other sources you might be taking in and if your ON that doesn't help Saturated fat is to be watched out for cuz cholesterol is really only bad if you have high cholesterol. not to say that you couldn't develop it from high intake.