Knicks Drop to 0-3 Under Brown

NEW YORK - Larry Brown tinkered with his lineup again in the New York Knicks' latest loss, playing rookies David Lee, Channing Frye and Nate Robinson together.

"I won't play the rookies all the time, but they earned it," Brown said Sunday after the Knicks dropped to 0-3 with an 83-81 loss to Golden State. "It's going to take some time. We're trying to figure out who can play and who can help us."

Brown, trying to turn around his hometown team in his eighth coaching stop in the NBA, will attempt to find those answers on the road. The Knicks will begin a six-game road trip Wednesday night in Portland, the first of 12 road games in their next 16.

"We played better in spurts," said Stephon Marbury, who had 15 points and six assists to lead New York. "We have to continue to get better."

Lee, who saw his first action of the season after spendind the first two games on the inactive list, had seven points during a 16-6 run midway through the second half.

"It felt good to be in there," said Lee, who was constantly hustling to keep balls alive and finished with 10 rebounds. "They recognize I'm a hard worker and that's what I'm going to continue to do every time I step onto a floor."

In the only other NBA games Sunday, Sacramento edged Phoenix 118-117, and the Los Angeles Lakers beat Denver 112-92.

Jason Richardson led Golden State with 24 points, and guard Baron Davis — returning to the starting lineup after missing a loss Friday night in Utah because of a strained hamstring — added 16 points and nine assists.

"I tried not to push off too hard on it," Davis said.

Troy Murphy had 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Warriors (2-1).

Frye had 12 points for New York and Eddy Curry and Trevor Ariza each added 11.

"I can't remember the last time I was 0-3," Frye said. "We just want to get a win. We just have to come focus and be mentally prepared for this trip."

Curry scored eight in the first quarter as the Knicks kept trying to give him the ball in the post. He got into foul trouble again, and did not return after picking up his fourth foul with 3:16 left in the third quarter.

"When he gets into a little better shape and stays out of foul trouble, he'll stay in the game for longer stretches," Brown said.

With Golden State trailing 74-73 with 5:46 left in the game, Richardson hit a 3-pointer as the shot clock expired to give the Warriors the lead for good. Davis added a layup to push the lead to four, and combined with Richardson to hit five of eight free throws down the stretch to seal the victory.

"It's the first road win of the season and when you play at the Garden, you always want to win," Richardson said.

Quentin Richardson was scoreless for New York until the final minute, when he hit a layup and jumper at the buzzer for the final margin.

Davis was 5-for-17 from the field, but helped Golden State build a 46-39 halftime lead by hitting three 3-pointers.

"He's a steadying influence," Golden State coach Mike Montgomery said. "He just keeps the ball in his hands and guys know that he'll be able to get them the ball."

Marbury had a tough first half and didn't hit his first shot until 5:53 left in the second quarter.

Kings 118, Suns 117

At Phoenix, Shareef Abdur-Rahim scored Sacramento's final six points and sealed the victory with a blocked shot in the final seconds.

Peja Stojakovic had 33 points to lead the Kings to their first win in three games. Abdur-Rahim finished with 23 points and 12 rebounds.

Leandro Barbosa had 23 points for the Suns.

Lakers 112, Nuggets 92

At Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant scored 12 of his 37 points in the fourth quarter for the Lakers in a rematch of the season-opener in Denver, which the Lakers won 99-97 on Bryant's 20-foot jumper with 0.6 seconds remaining in overtime.

Lamar Odom added 20 and eight rebounds for the Lakers.

Carmelo Anthony led Denver with 21 points.