DeLay Says He'll Remain Active in House

WASHINGTON - Rep. Tom DeLay pledged on Sunday to take an active role in the Republican leadership despite being forced out as majority leader because of criminal conspiracy charges in Texas.

DeLay, who last week stepped aside temporarily from the No. 2 job in the House, said he will continue his close partnership with House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill.

Asked whether he would return to the GOP leadership, DeLay said, "Well, I hope so. I can do my job with or without the title. That doesn't concern me."

DeLay said the GOP leadership wants to act aggressively in the next eight weeks to push an agenda of lowering gas prices, cutting taxes and enforcing immigration laws.

"I get to continue my partnership with the speaker," DeLay said, describing how he envisions his role. "The speaker and I have led the House for eight years. It's because we get along together, we think the same. We're simpatico," DeLay told "Fox News Sunday."

But he added, "I wouldn't call it running the show. I would call it working together to get our agenda done."

DeLay was charged Wednesday with conspiring with two political associates to use corporate donations to support Texas legislative candidates. House rules require that any lawmaker of the election leadership might step own if indicted.

"This is a frivolous indictment," DeLay said Sunday. "I think it will be over and over very soon. I will go back to be majority leader."

Contesting the allegations, DeLay said, "I mean, a racketeering suit? And do you know what they put in the suit? That I was conspiring to defeat Democrats. Guilty. I'm guilty of that. But that's not illegal."