• Join Us!
  • Progress Log
  • Progress Log
  • Progress Log
  • Progress Log
  • Progress Log
  • Progress Log
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Progress Log

Skarhead is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 576
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Progress Log

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log

• Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      Ok, since I'm working with IA, I can't really type out my work out routine, but I want to make sure my 3 lifts go up... My priority right now is strength (but getting to 210 wouldnt hurt).

Right now I am training to be a competitive boxer. So weight is important. I must stay at cruiser weight (200) but i can probably get to 210-215 and dehydrate.

I am doing a west side barbell routine -- probably the best routine i've done to date. WSB and DC are the two very best protocols right now for power builders.

Right now I am training naturally and probably naturally forever. Here is how I didnt train naturally for awhile

18 -Ran D-Bol only for 6 weeks. Got good gains... Didnt really consider it a real cycle
      19 - Ran 16 week of test/dbol/drol
      19 - Ran a 4 week cycle of insulin
      20 - Ran Masteron/Test cycle but quit mid cycle realizing what i was doing wasnt right and I wish i was never intro-ed to gear or was taught how to homebrew or anything. In retrospect w/o getting gear I would never have reserached and i would never have found the boards -- which led me to greater things. Ive gotten numerous blood work done and everything checks out im hoping i dont run into any problems down the line -- i shouldnt.

Heres my diet

Carbs (low gi, except pwo) - 200
      Protein - 450 (300 from whole foods)
      Fats - 70

Carb Cut Offs about 6 hours before bed

Supplments

Multi V
      Vitamin C
      Vitamin E
      Taurine
      Fish Oil
      ALA
      LOTS of Green Tea

Going to get CEE and probably a nootropic.

I am 5'8'', 200 LBS, About 8% BF (pretty accurate, I can see a good portion of Abs, my lower body is completely lean)

Goal: Before 2006 I want to have DL in the 400s, Squat in the 550+ and a 400 Bench

My lifts starting June 11th 2005

Squat: 465
      Bench: 315
      Dead Lift: 290

My Lifts as of July 10th

Squat 475
      Bench: 315 (the same, doing maximal effort tomorrow, I will update with tommorrow)
      Deadlift: 315x2

Heres a pic of me last summer and a pic of me now (a month ag)
      Attached Images Attached Images
      Last edited by Skarhead; 07-11-2005 at 01:16 AM.

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Progress Log

On your M.E. work are you working up to triples or singles?

HungarianBeast is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 383
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

You don't think the "heavy" weight training will inhibit your boxing?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianBeast
      You can modify westside training to accomodate the extra work of boxers and mma athletes.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

The Russian Conjugate System of Periodization Applied to MMA Fight Training
      By James Smith
      For EliteFTS.com

The Russian Conjugate System of Periodization, in its simplest terms, entails training various motor qualities simultaneously. In contrast, the Western model of Linear Periodization defines a procedure wherein different motor qualities are periodically trained in sequence, over time. The deficiency associated with the linear style of periodization is that as one progresses from one motor skill to the next, the skill which was developed in the previous period suffers a detraining effect.

A Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) competition is an example of the Conjugate system at work in real time. Throughout the course of a fight the fighter draws upon the following motor skills: strength (reactive, explosive, limit, etc…), agility, speed, power, anaerobic endurance, etc. These motor qualities are not called upon one at a time, but simultaneously as the dynamics of a round change rapidly. Therefore it stands to reason that the fighter must train these skills simultaneously throughout the course of the training year.

All things being equal there are three distinct training modalities associated with fight preparation: (1) Strength training by means of external resistance (2) skill training by means of grappling, striking, takedowns, submissions, etc. And (3) anaerobic/aerobic conditioning by means of interval sprints, plyometrics, sled dragging, timed rounds, etc… The challenge is to simultaneously incorporate these different training modalities, into a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly training program.

Perhaps the best application of this, in the U.S., is the Westside Barbell Club in Columbus Ohio. Westside Barbell is host to some of the strongest powerlifters in the world. Louie Simmons, owner of Westside Barbell and renowned powerlifting coach, has converted the Conjugate System from Olympic Weightlifting to Powerlifting. The Westside Method is comprised of a Max Effort Day for Bench, a Max Effort Day for Squat/Deadlift (DL), a Dynamic Effort Day for Bench, and a Dynamic Effort Day for Squat/DL. The Max/Dynamic Effort methodology was defined by Vladimir Zatsiorsky, a world renowned strength scientist and author, who determined that there are three distinct methods for developing maximal tension within skeletal muscle fibers. These are:

1. Lifting weights at high to maximal (max) percentages of one’s one rep max (i.e. Max Effort-strength speed).

2. Lifting sub-maximal weights explosively (i.e. Dynamic Effort-speed strength).

3. Lifting sub-maximal weights to concentric muscle failure (i.e. Repetition Method-strength endurance/lactic acid tolerance training-assistance/supplementary exercises).

On paper the Max and Dynamic Effort training days, bar weight only, look like this:

*Note: There should be 72hrs between Max and Dynamic Effort training days for the same lift, and it is advisable NOT to schedule Max Effort days back to back.

Max Effort
      1. Core movement (1 exercise for a max 1-3 reps)
      2. Supplementary movement (1 exercise heavy for low reps or repetition method)
      3. Assistance work (2-4 exercises repetition method)

Dynamic Effort
      1. Speed movement Bench Day: Bench 8 sets of 3 reps @ approximately 50- 60%
      One rep max (1RM) *30-60s rest between sets
      Squat/DL day: Box Squat 10 sets of 2 reps @ approximately
      50-60% 1RM
      2. Supplementary movement (same as max day)
      3. Assistance work (same as max day)

Scientific research has shown that continually lifting weights above 90% 1RM, on the same lift, yields an over training effect on the central nervous system (CNS) after approximately 3-6 weeks (Linear). By consistently rotating Max Effort lifts (Conjugate) the CNS is able to adapt to the high intensity work load, thereby allowing the continual usage of weights in excess of 90%1RM. This also applies to skill work and conditioning. By consistently rotating high intensity motor skill work the fighter is able train sport specific skill work/conditioning at max intensities throughout the training year.

The Conjugate/Westside Methods are excellent models for any power development sport/activity and has tremendous applicability towards MMA fight training.

So how does one apply the Conjugate Method to fight training?

Core movements are lifts that specifically develop the muscles and mechanics involved with executing the competition lift. In powerlifting these are the bench, squat, and deadlift.

Speed movements are lifts that either replicate or approximate the competition lifts yet are performed with sub-maximal weights lifted explosively.

Supplementary movements are lifts that specifically target the prime movers of a given competition lift.

Assistance work targets the secondary and stabilizer muscles to the competition lifts.

When applying the Conjugate Method to MMA fight training the fighter simply substitutes the core, speed, supplementary, and assistance lifts with lifts or other skill work that are specific to fighting.

Exercise selection is critical, and strictly dependant upon what style of fighting is being trained. For instance, a Muy Thai fighter requires different motor skills than a Brazilian jiujutsu (BJJ) fighter. Whereas Shoot fighting encompasses many motor qualities (i.e., striking, takedowns, grappling, submissions), it would require more motor skill work than a Muy Thai or BJJ fighter alone.

Depending upon what fight style is being trained, the fighter must be able to justify each and every exercises/motor skills being performed with regards to the motor quality being developed. For example, a fighter competing in BJJ tournaments is not required to strike; therefore, there is no need for bag work or exercises that specifically develop striking/kicking ability. Whereas, a Muy Thai fighter is not required to know submissions, there is no need for mat work or exercises that specifically develop ground based grappling/submissions.

All fighters, regardless of style, require a high level of general physical preparedness (GPP). However, special physical preparedness (SPP) is highly dependant upon which fighting style is being trained. For instance, a Muy Thai fighter may have a high level of conditioning specific to Muy Thai, but if that same fighter entered a No Holds Barred (NHB) tournament he would quickly realize that ground fighting requires a completely different type of specific conditioning.

Special consideration must be given to scheduling different training sessions in one
      24 hr period. Depending upon the level of intensity and duration, resistance training, skill work, and conditioning can be extremely taxing on the CNS. MMA training involves many different motor qualities and, in many instances, training protocols dictate multiple training sessions throughout a 24hr period. Recuperation is of paramount importance when engaged in multiple daily training sessions, and 4-6hrs between high intensity training sessions is advisable.

I cannot stress enough that training must be specific to each individual fighter. Even though two fighters may train the same fighting system, each fighter will have different strengths and weaknesses that are specific unto themselves.

Below are several variables to consider when utilizing the Conjugate Method to design your own strength and conditioning program. Remember that the Conjugate Method allows for high intensity training year round. By constantly rotating Maximal Effort work (i.e., lifting, fighting, conditioning above 90% work capacity) the CNS is able to positively respond to the repeated high intensity training.

Resistance Training
      1. Choose exercises that specifically target the specific motor skill/skills that are inherent to your chosen fighting system.
      2. Apply specific loading parameters (sets, reps, load)
      3. Give special attention to your weaknesses.
      4. Incorporate the variables listed above into the WESTSIDE METHOD!

Skill Training
      1. Train the motor skills that are specific to your chosen fighting system.
      2. Give special attention to your weaknesses.

Conditioning
      1. Do not engage in extended bouts of aerobic endurance training. You are a fighter not a tri-athlete.
      2. Utilize interval training (i.e., high intensity bouts followed by moderate to low intensity bouts)
      3. Design work- to- rest ratios that closely approximate actual fight time in a competition.
      4. Give special attention to your weaknesses.

Train your weaknesses, and you will become strong!

Throughout Olympic History the strength athletes of the former Soviet Union and Eastern-Bloc Countries have dominated the competitive scene on the international level.

It is no small coincidence that many of the pioneers of strength science have Russian origins. Utilize the Russian Conjugate Method and strive for sporting excellence!

For an in depth analysis of the Conjugate system I highly recommend the following texts: Tom Myslinski’s Thesis Paper, Science and Practice of Strength Training (Zatsiorsky), Supertraining (Siff/Verkoshansky), articles by Louie Simmons and the translated Russian texts by Verkoshanksy, Roman, Laputin and Oleshko to name a few. These references can be found at EliteFitnessSystems.com, a tremendous website, and host, in my opinion, to some of the brightest minds in the power development sports.

James Smith - Phone: 619-260-6505 Email: smith@strengthwise.com

HungarianBeast is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 383
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

That is an awsome post kite. But, I still think it is not the best for boxing. MMA is a totally different beast.

BTW, could you post that article in the MMA forum under its own thread? That is a great one to have saved in there.

geesler is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 422
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Thanks for the progress Skarhead- keep it up I'm curious in your progress with what you've been doing lately It's good to see your macros up there too, whats youre diet like on an example day?

nice post kite!- that should be its own post

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

That is an awsome post kite. But, I still think it is not the best for boxing. MMA is a totally different beast.

BTW, could you post that article in the MMA forum under its own thread? That is a great one to have saved in there.
      U got it

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Nope, so far neither has gotten in the way of each other.

Kite- My ME work is singles but last friday i decided to go for 2 on deads... and awesome article

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Skarhead
      Nope, so far neither has gotten in the way of each other. I improve each week on everything I do. Not sure If I mentioned Im doing a 2 day a week west side program. It's real abbreviated, but it works!

Kite- My ME work is singles but last friday i decided to go for 2 on deads... and awesome article
      Geesler - I eat the same shit every day haha

Meal 1 - Oatmeal + Protein shake + Natural Peanut butter
      Meal 2 - Organic Chili = 5 Egg Whites + 2 whole Eggs + 3.5 Cups of milk
      Meal 3 - Brown Rice + Can of Tuna + Chicken
      Meal 4 - Protein shake + Grapeseed Oil ( OR this would be replaced by pwo meal)
      Meal 5 - Chicken + Grape Seed Oil (then this would be meal 3)
      Meal 6 - Chicken + Peanut butter
      Meal 7 - Peanut Butter + protein shake

geesler is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 422
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Nice skar, looks great!

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

GREAT JOB BRO. THANKS FOR THE UPDATE, AND KEEP US UPDATED. I'M REAL INTRESTED IN YOU PROGRESS.
      KITE-GREAT POST!!
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log

• Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      • Progress Log
      My lifts starting June 11th 2005

Squat: 465
      Bench: 315
      Dead Lift: 290

August 1st

Squat: 475 (last week, when i was to test my maximal effort my CNS failed me, should easily get 485 next time --hopefully!)
      Bench: 315 (have yet to do ME)
      Deadly: 335x1 (missed 345 by a litle bit..)

These lfits are all raw (they are weak, i know).... but shit, I'll get there, by december im hoping for a 400 dead 350 bench and a 500 squat....

Im on the new creatine right now... it's good stuff.