Measuring iron levels

When I was in grade school, a friend showed me a way to find out if you had low iron. She said to take a pure gold ring, and swipe it on the side of your face. If there was a black mark, that meant your iron was low. I showed this to my family and we all thought it was pretty interesting.

My question to you is, is this an accurate way of proving iron deficiency, or does it mean something. Recently, I find when I'm not eating properly or I am feeling high levels of stress, my fingers around my gold rings will turn black.

Please explain this to me, as I am very curious to know!!

The black marks on the skin you referred to are a phenomenon known as "Black Dermographism" or literally translated "black writing on the skin." This reaction is common with some cosmetics and lotions. The most common compounds causing this reaction are zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, ferric oxide, and calamine. Some people have sulfur or uric acid in their sweat, which can also cause this reaction. Salt, either from the body or from dipping the hands into a bowl of salted nuts or other food, can cause the same reaction.

Changes in body chemistry as a result of stress can cause the body to produce chemicals containing increased amounts of salts or sulfurs, resulting in reactions to jewelry which have never occurred before.

The best test for iron status is to have your doctor perform a simple blood test. The most common tests for iron deficiency measure the number and size of the red blood cells and the cells' hemoglobin content. If you are concerned that you may be iron deficient, talk to your doctor, and eat a balanced diet.

Good dietary sources of iron are oysters, clams, soybeans, tofu, lima, navy, and kidney beans, shrimp, steak, baked potato, and green peas. The RDA of iron for women aged 19-50 years is 15 mg. For women aged 51+ years and for men the RDA is 10 mg.