• Join Us!
  • Rotator cuff injury? Help/advice appreciated
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rotator cuff injury? Help/advice appreciated

gweedoboy is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 236
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Exclamation Rotator cuff injury? Help/advice appreciated

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Rotator cuff injury? Help/advice appreciated
      Hey can any of you who have experience with injury help me on this?

History of injury: I was in a car accident in 2000. We were rear ended really hard while we were at a dead stop, I think the chick that hit us was going like 50mph. It wrenched the living shit out of my neck and caused me a pretty severe tissue tear in my right trap. I went through months of deep tissue massage and chiropractic therapy.

Current problem: First off, don't currently use AAS. Ok, I recently started lifting again, and my right shoulder is REALLY bothering me. At first I thought it was just the old car accident injury. That injury never really has healed (causes me constant on and off pain) and from what I hear, it will never be the same, soft tissue damage or something. From time to time if I move my neck too suddenly in an extreme angle (rubber necking) it will go back into full blown, unbearable, can hardly walk, can't turn head, icy-hot is God status. However, I think this may be something different. I'm going to try to describe the pain the best that I can.

The lifts that seem to inflame the pain are bench press and shoulder press. The pain is worst in three places (see attached picture). 1. Deep into the right delt between the collar bone and the shoulder blade close to where the two intersect at the shoulder. So in other words, if I was standing straight up, and you stuck a needle about an inch and half into the back side of my right delt and into my shoulder about 2 inches down from where the collar bone and the shoulder blade instersect, that's where it is. 2. Where my collar bone connects to my chest, almost directly below my adam's apple. 3. In the right middle center of my back, right where my rhomboid and trapezius would meet. The pain in #1 and 2 is more of a dull pain, almost feeling like a knuckle that REALLY needs to be cracked. The pain in # 3 is more of a sharp pain, akin to a pulled muscle.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be? Does it sound like a rotator cuff injury? I've been lifting on an off since 2003 (damn personal life drama), and I've NEVER had this kind of pain from any lift, let alone bench and shoulder press. Bench is usually my most painless exercise other than maybe leg exercises.

Little more info on me. I'm 25, never played any contact sports after middle school, do not have a job that requires manual labor, and am really not that physically active other than gym exercises, like lifting and cardio etc. Never broken a bone other than a knuckle, no previous shoulder pain.

Also, I was messing around with stretches to find out what motion really caused the pain. The one that did it was this. I lay down on my side with my arms at my sides. I have my girlfriend pull my arm backwards slow, kind of like a stick shift going into 2nd gear or reverse. When my arm gets between 60-90 degrees the pain REALLY flares up.

Lastly, if this does sound like rotator cuff, what should I do? Unfortunately, about 5 months ago I left the company I was working for and went self employed, so I have no medical insurance at this time. So for me, surgery is out. Are there any specific stretches or low intensity exercises (or a combo of the two) that will help me shake this and get back to lifting? If so, how long typically does it take to heal. In other words, how long until I could safely lift again?

Thanks in advance for any of you experienced folks who take the time to steer me in the right direction.

badasz32 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 405
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Rotator cuff injury? Help/advice appreciated

the pain spot for #2 i think is your pc joint. i dont think it is a rotator cuff tear. the rotator cuff is made of 4 muscles that connect the shoulder to varies muscles in the body. I had a tear in the super spanadis(sp) and bad impingement and bursitis. the exercises that hurt were also bench and shoulder press, or lifting anything over head. your best bet would be to see a Dr. as for exercises i would use a thera band and lay off the weights until u see a Dr. u could be making this potentialy worse. im sure this is not what u want to hear but most shoulder injuries that cause constant pain dont go away on their own. I would def. get a professional opinion. best of luck bro. and this topic has came up a few times so u can do a search for it and see other members shoulder problems and try to compair it to your own.
      Badasz1@Hushmail.com

felixdakatt is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 67
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Pain spot #1 sounds like a torn labrum. I had one of those myself, and it took 2-3 years to recover from without surgery. It's not a severe pain... just feels like the joint is weak... nagging little pain in the back of your shoulder. I had 3 cortisone shots in the joint, lots of physical therapy, and tons of ultrasound therapy. The best thing you can do is rest it and develop the muscles around it. If you really tore something, the only way you will get better is through surgery. Period. But, if it's a minor tear, you can help your body recover by dilligent LIGHT exercise. If you lift weights, you will make it worse... I promise you.

Not sure about #2 though. You might want to go see a good chiropractor. Much cheaper than a doctor, and then can give you a better idea of what's going on with your back.

TryingToFly is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 175
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Hi Gweedoboy,
      I'll start this thread by stating I am an R.N. Your shoulder pain is significant. There is no way to accurately diagnose your condition without an MRI. If you continue performing activities that irritate the shoulder, it could result in a permanent loss of ROM. Go to a doctor and get an MRI if at all possible. An Xray to show any skeletal damage is also advisable, because the muscle can pull pieces of bone away (happened in my ankle playing basketball). Surgery is sometimes required.
      Your pain is no joke, muscle ache, or phantom pain. I would avoid chiropractors: they will definitely tell you that you have a problem and they can solve it, becuase that is what they are taught to say. However, you are pretty much up shit's creek if they screw it up. And they are useless if it is a muscle injury.
      Good luck!

TryingToFly is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 175
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Sorry, just read that you don't have insurance. The things i recommended are $$$. I would avoid any activities that cause pain. Pain is a warning system, so don't flirt with disaster. That pain could indicate a tendon tear going from partial to complete. Also, make sure you do exercises slowly; it doesn't sound like a problem that would be relieved by cracking it or 'popping it into place." A PT can be a huge help. Some physical therapists will offer low rates to those with no insurace, because insurance companies give PT's alot of shit (I used to work for one.) Good luck!

gweedoboy is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 236
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Red face Re: Rotator cuff injury? Help/advice appreciated

Thanks a lot for the help guys, especially Tryingtofly.

I know I DESPERATELY need an MRI, but I also know how damn expensive they are and there is no way in hell I could pay for one out of pocket. What I may do is just anti-up and buy private medical insurance for a few months to get this fixed.

I have stopped weight training of the uppperbody except abd and arms because I agree, it's not something to play around with. The last thing I want to do is push it too hard and really screw up my body, possibly permanently.

Thanks again for the help all.

muscle_n_blood is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 373
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

If you buy medical insurance, be careful about the "pre-existing condition" clause...they might invoke that and refuse to pay, leaving you stuck with the bills.
      There is no substitute for experience......