• Join Us!
  • DONT FORGET YOUR............
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DONT FORGET YOUR............

BIGMOFO is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 31.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Thumbs up DONT FORGET YOUR............

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

LEGS!

The Forgotten Part Of The Legs

Youthful, baby boomer physiques that are envied can be achieved through hard work that incorporates working all muscle groups for strength, health, wellness and longevity. When working out legs, all too often, hamstrings are underdeveloped, leaving our fellow weight lifters with a less than optimal physique, while at the same time, increasing the risk of future injuries.

The Hamstrings' Priority Status

Hamstrings are often underdeveloped because of their low priority status. When we look in the mirror, it's pecs, delts, abs and quads that get our attention. Hamstrings are difficult to see, requiring two mirrors and/or twisting poses that often don't provide us with a clear image.
      As a result, this muscle group is often given low priority status in a resistance training routine. This is unfortunate, as hamstrings help provide shape to the leg (important for both men and women), help avoid that telltale old age look of sagging skin and provide strength and stability in the knee and hip joint.

Granted, the quadriceps muscle group will always be stronger that the hamstrings. Dr. Micheal Yessis, in his book, Kinesiology of Exercise, discusses a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of strength in quadriceps to hamstrings.

However, we are discussing the problems caused by the underdevelopment of hamstrings due to lack adequate training. For our baby boomer readers with the goal to maximize development while minimizing injury, these types of muscular imbalances should be avoided. Granted, the quadriceps muscle group will always be stronger that the hamstrings.

Long Term Injuries. How They Start & What To Do To Prevent Them.
      It is an all-to-familiar situation. A long term can be prevented if you take the proper measures. Find out what you need to do to prevent long term injuries here!

Dr. Micheal Yessis, in his book, Kinesiology of Exercise, discusses a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of strength in quadriceps to hamstrings. However, we are discussing the problems caused by the underdevelopment of hamstrings due to lack adequate training. For our baby boomer readers with the goal to maximize development while minimizing injury, these types of muscular imbalances should be avoided.

Two joints are involved with the hamstring muscle group, the knee and the hip. The semitendinosus, semimembranosus and the biceps femoris help control the movement of the knee, while the semimembranosus and the semitendinosus help control movement of the hip.

Since the knee and hip joints are involved in so many daily activities and sports, it is important for baby boomers to strengthen the movement and create stability in these joints through ample hamstring development. And for fitness enthusiasts of all ages interested in gaining mass, remember fully-developed hamstrings will allow for increases in quadriceps development.

Prioritize the hamstring muscles in your workout routine.
      Try working the hamstring muscle group at the beginning of your leg workout while this muscle group is fresh.

Starting with hamstrings will provide an environment for maximal growth.

Work hamstrings and quadriceps on different days. Change your routine and plan to work the hamstrings with shoulders, rather than quadriceps for quick developmental gains.

Richard Baldwin not only dreamed about triceps development, he trained until his own triceps graced magazine covers.

The Importance Of Proper Form
      Follow strict form! Two very delicate baby boomer joints are involved here. Over 40, 50 and 60 gym rats usually wear battle scars on their knees and we don't want to add any more scars to the hip joint area. Avoid our pet peeve of bouncing during hamstring movements! No bouncing at the bottom of a stiff leg deadlift. And don't send the roller pad flying on seated or lying leg curls.

Slow down the movement and contract the muscle, moving at a fairly steady tempo throughout the lift. Avoid too much acceleration at the beginning of the lift that sends that roller pad flying off of your leg and then crashes back down for sloppy lifting form that risks injury without any reward in development.

ATTITUDES ARE CONTAGIOUS, MINE MIGHT KILL YOU!

"Goals are Dreams with Deadlines!"

Note: All of my advice and posts are merely for educational purposes I do not condone the use of steroids or any other illegal drugs. I am no doctor and my advice should be taken with a grain of salt, just like everyone else's hypothetical advice.

SMILEY FACE is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: DONT FORGET YOUR............

Good read...Some1 wt no legs, i call em CHICKEN LEGS

ByRoN
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

lucky legs, lucky the don't break off and stick in there ass!

BIGMOFO is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 31.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE1979
      Good read...I have CHICKEN LEGS

ATTITUDES ARE CONTAGIOUS, MINE MIGHT KILL YOU!

"Goals are Dreams with Deadlines!"

Note: All of my advice and posts are merely for educational purposes I do not condone the use of steroids or any other illegal drugs. I am no doctor and my advice should be taken with a grain of salt, just like everyone else's hypothetical advice.