• Join Us!
  • Doctors in Congress Criticized on Schiavo
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Doctors in Congress Criticized on Schiavo

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Doctors in Congress Criticized on Schiavo

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Doctors in Congress Criticized on Schiavo

WASHINGTON - When physicians are elected to Congress, they tend to leave their white coats at home and reserve their expertise for questions on health care policy.

But as Congress debated whether to intervene in the right-to-die fight over Terri Schiavo, several of those doctors weren't shy about offering their opinions about the brain-damaged woman's medical condition based on records, reports and videos taken by her family.

At least three physicians in Congress — Sen. Bill Frist (news, bio, voting record), and Reps. Dave Weldon and Phil Gingrey, Republicans from Tennessee, Florida and Georgia — disputed whether there was sufficient medical evidence to pull the feeding tube from Schiavo, allowing her to die.

By stepping into that discussion, some experts say, the physicians raise concerns in the medical community and potentially cross a hazy ethical line.

"It's disturbing that doctors who would never venture a comment about the health of anybody from a homemade video are sitting on the floor of Congress making declarations," said Art Caplan, chairman of the Department of Medical Ethics at the University of Pennsylvania's School of Medicine. "My own impression, from a distance, is that they've subverted what they know to be good medicine for the aim of achieving a political goal."

Schiavo was left in what court-appointed doctors called a "persistent vegetative state" after her heart stopped suddenly in 1990. But physicians on both sides of the fight to end her life have spent years disputing whether she has any chance of recovery.

As debate began last week over a bill that would let a federal court hear Schiavo's case, thereby extending her life, Frist, a heart-lung surgeon from Tennessee, questioned the diagnosis.

"I question it based on a review of the video footage ... And that footage, to me, depicted something very different than persistent vegetative state," Frist said last Thursday, explaining he had also spoken to members of Schiavo's family and neurologists who reviewed her case.

Democratic National Committee (news - web sites) Chairman Howard Dean (news - web sites), who practiced internal medicine, called Republicans' efforts to pass the bill "grandstanding" and criticized the majority leader's comments.

"For Senator Frist to say he could make a diagnosis based on the videotape certainly is not medically sound," Dean said. "I would not want my doctor making any diagnosis of me on videotape, and I'm speaking as a doctor."

But some of Frist's comments were also echoed on the House floor over the weekend. Weldon, an early sponsor of legislation to help Schiavo, is a physician specializing in internal medicine.

"By my medical definition, she was not in a vegetative state based on my review of the videos, my talking to the family, and my discussing the case with one of the neurologists who examined her," he said Sunday, adding that he tried unsuccessfully to visit Schiavo in person.

And Gingrey, who had an obstetrics and gynecology practice, contended Schiavo "responds to the people around her."

"The tragedy of this situation is that with proper treatment, now denied, Terri's condition can improve," he said Sunday.

Rep. Vic Snyder (news, bio, voting record), D-Ark., a family practice physician, did not comment on Schiavo's condition during the debate, but voted for the bill. He declined to second-guess his colleagues, saying many of them openly explained they had never seen Schiavo in person.

But he cautioned against giving too much weight to a doctor's opinion.

"I think we could make a mistake by thinking everybody with an MD somehow has all the answers in these situations," he said.

Rep. Joe Schwarz, R-Mich. — an ear, nose and throat surgeon — said he supported the bill because he found no medical reason for removing the feeding tube. He said Schiavo was not in any imminent danger of dying, did not have a terminal illness and has some cognitive ability.

"There's absolutely no indication under those circumstances, in my opinion, to remove her feeding tube," Schwarz said.

Twenty members of Congress worked in medicine, including doctors, dentists, nurses, veterinarians and other types of medical professionals.

___
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

lxorl is offline Elite FG Resident
      Overall activity: 7.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Doctors in Congress Criticized on Schiavo

i would like to see how much public money has been wasted on this lady...... she starved herself into a coma for 15 years and now were spending millions debating whether to keep her alive.
      I'm Just an old chunk of Coal, But I'm gonna be a DIAMOND some day.

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I don't know where I stand on this one.

I really think it should be left to her parents. They brought her into the world, they should be the ones who decide to pull the plug.

I know why the husband wants the plug pulled, he loses more of his inheritence everyday she stays alive. But then, if it was me and that was my wife I'd like to think I would do everything I could to get her back, even if that meant losing all the money.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

roark is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 9
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007
      I don't know where I stand on this one.

I really think it should be left to her parents. They brought her into the world, they should be the ones who decide to pull the plug.

I know why the husband wants the plug pulled, he loses more of his inheritence everyday she stays alive. But then, if it was me and that was my wife I'd like to think I would do everything I could to get her back, even if that meant losing all the money.
      He is doing it because she didnt want to be kept alive in a constant vegitative state. I would hope that my future wife would do the same and let me die.

mick-G is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

It is a hard decision, as the parents are still clinging to what they have left of their daughter. Maybe in time she would come out of it, but the Dr's reported that they have never seen a person in her state of conciousness come out of it. There are two things in this case that bother me though, as i saw the interview with the husband on Larry King last night. One is that i wonder when the onset of this Bulimia started, as in her wedding pictures and ones before she was married she looked alittle overweight, but at a healthy appearance. It is only after the marriage do i see the drastic weight loss. Also, i bothers me as to why the parents are so much against the husband's wishes. I have gone thru this in a previous marriage, but was not due to bulimia, but i had no problems when it came to her parents. I think that there are some underlying issues here that we do not see. Im just guessing, but i think perhaps that maybe their marriage was not that good, maybe the husband wanted his wife to loose weight and she felt forced to diet causing the onset of bulimia?? Now that she is in this state maybe the parents harbor a resentment towards the husband and blame him for this. On the contrary, if his wife and him discussed this previously i believe the Congress and gov should not interveine in this. This is the reason why ppl need to make living wills, but even without it pulling the plug goes on everyday with no probs. What makes this case any different. Anyway, this was just a guess, as the husband was just very crass and short with alot of the answers last night.