NIGHT OF THE JESUS FREAKS"

The Liberals' heads are still spinning from the election night "shock and awe". The euphoria brought on by the "leaked" early exit polls quickly turned into desperation as polls were closing and the actual results started to come in. By midnight when Florida turned red Michael Moore and George Soros were on suicide watch. Ohio was their last hope. Ohio, the state which lost over 200,000 jobs in the last three years; Ohio the state which the British newspaper The Guardian tried to influence with their European sophistication, turned red on Fox News at 12:41 AM. NBC soon projected Ohio for Bush and as I was flipping through the other channels I was waiting for CBS, ABC and CNN to follow suit. As late as five AM, when I finally fell asleep, Ohio was still too close too call, even though Bush had a lead of more than 100,000 votes. Now I know why.

In a stunning admission, the New York Times proves once and for all that Dan Rather and company are nothing more than water boys for the Democratic Party. In an article printed on November 4, 2004, Jodi Wilgoren describes the events of election night that almost gave us a repeat of 2000.

"The critical moment came at 12:41 AM Wednesday, when, shortly after Florida had been painted red for Mr. Bush, Fox News declared that Ohio - and very likely, the presidency - was in Republican hands. Howard Wolfson, a strategist, burst into the 'boiler room' in Washington where the brain trust was huddled and said, 'We have 30 seconds' to stop the other networks from following suit. The campaign's pollster, Mark Mellman, and renowned organizer Michael Whouley quickly dialed ABC, CBS, CNN and NBC - and all but the last refrained from calling the race through the night."

The surprising fact is not that the networks answered "how high" when the Kerry campaign said "jump", but that it took a phone call to get it done. The telepathic waves must have been blocked by all the people praying for Bush to win.

As bad as these actions may seem, their justification is even more revealing.

"What was driving our decision making was the memory of how in 2000, by allowing Florida to go for Bush, a lot of the momentum was blocked," said one person who was in the room. "Our whole goal was stop the train from moving that way."

"Allowing Florida to go for Bush?" The narcissism displayed by that statement should convince everyone that the Mainstream Media cares little about the facts or the truth when they obstruct their agenda of shoving Liberalism down our throat. I know that I'm quoting the New York Times to prove my statements and that the Times is the leader of the Mainstream Media and that should be proof of fairness in exposing manipulations by both sides. I am not sure, however, that the intent of the article was to expose anything, except that Kerry would have unleashed the lawyers, as urged by Edwards who "wanted to soldier on", if he thought he had any chance of winning. The implication is that the networks, which did not call Ohio for Bush, did the right thing by giving the Kerry campaign time to decide if the provisional ballots could give them the victory. It also dispels the myth that Kerry was gracious in defeat. Grace left the building at 3 AM, when most people went to bed tired of waiting for reality to set in. When the Packers have the ball and are winning 41-10 in the fourth quarter with forty seconds to go, the opposing team is not being gracious by admitting that they lost. They're just stating the obvious.

With Kerry's concession out of the way, the blame game kicked off without delay. Some blamed the issue of gay marriage, others Kerry's inability to connect with the average Joe (maybe he should have carried his own goose), but without fail the group that everyone agreed was most to blame was the Evangelical Christians. For those who are not familiar with the label, Jesus Freaks is the politically incorrect term. According to Jane Smiley, author of books I've never heard of, "the election results reflect the decision of the right wing to cultivate and exploit ignorance in the citizenry." She continues, "I suppose the good news is that 55 million Americans have evaded the ignorance-inducing machine. But 58 million have not. (Well, almost 58 million - my relatives are not ignorant, they are just greedy and full of classic Republican feelings of superiority.)"

So if you voted for Bush you are either an ignoramus or a greedy know-it-all. If you're not sure which group you are a part of Ms. Smiley offers her definition.

"Here is how ignorance works: First, they put the fear of God into you - if you don't believe in the literal word of the Bible, you will burn in hell. Of course, the literal word of the Bible is tremendously contradictory, and so you must abdicate all critical thinking, and accept a simple but logical system of belief that is dangerous to question. A corollary to this point is that they make sure you understand that Satan resides in the toils and snares of complex thought and so it is best not to try it."

I went online to see if I recognize any of Jane Smiley's books and to my surprise she wasn't giving them away. She wanted money for her work, just like the rest of us greedy bastards. As for her disdain of ignorant Bible believing Christians, I doubt if she's ever picked up a book by St. Augustine, St Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, D.L. Moody, C.H. Spurgeon, C.S. Lewis, Francis Schaffer or R.C. Sproul. I wonder if she would categorize George Washington as an ignoramus since he said the following:

"Bless of Lord all mankind, and let the whole world be filled with the knowledge of Thee and Thy Son Jesus Christ."

He also wrote:

"Thou givest Thy Son to die for me, and has given me assurance of salvation, upon my repentance and sincerely endeavoring to confirm my life to His holy precepts and example."

I guess I'd rather be on the side of George Washington than Jane Smiley. As for the ignorant Christians, I'm glad we exercised our right to vote in record numbers this election, but maybe we are not to blame for the Kerry loss. I think Hunter S. Thompson, the author of Kerry's favorite book about George McGovern's presidential bid, "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail 72", put it best, in an article by Troy Hooper in the Aspen Daily News:

"Yeah, we rocked the vote all right. Those little bastards betrayed us again.'