• Join Us!
  • Religious Question
  • Religious Question
  • Religious Question
  • Religious Question
  • Religious Question
  • Religious Question
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Religious Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
      JD77 is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 280
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Religious Question

Here's my question. Christianity believes Jesus was crucified to pay for our sins. However, depending on which denomination you follow, you must also actively become saved and in some cases remain saved through good works to be guaranteed not to burn in hell for all eternity. So, how has Jesus' death paid for our sins when we must take certain steps to enter heaven?

I'm not asking this to be disrespectful. I'm just curious. I hope I didn't offend anyone.
      "The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
      Patrick Murray.

LOCO is offline VET
      Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 102
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

why is it hot in hell? why isn't it freezing cold...

as for ur question.. i have no clue...
      i'm sure chip can help ya out with that one...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by LOCO
      why is it hot in hell? why isn't it freezing cold...

as for ur question.. i have no clue...
      i'm sure chip can help ya out with that one...
      Thanks for stopping by anyways!
      "The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
      Patrick Murray.

LOCO is offline VET
      Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 102
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

cipher where r ya?

JaclynLloyd is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 409
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

As a Christian myself....I do not live by the standard that I MUST do good works or I will not enter into heaven. I live by the standard that I WANT to do "good works" to glorify the God who saved me from eternal wrath.

Once you become a Christian and you form an intimate relationship with God....you won't have the desire to intentionally do wrong against people - we are all human so of course it will happen - but that old natural is most likely not there.

The evidence of the Lord living inside someone will produce character traits such as love, joy, peace, gentleness, faithfulness, self-control, goodness, kindness, and patience (Galatians 5:22, 23). If you possess these character traits it is only natural to want to help others and if you want to call it good works - then tomaeto tomaato.

Now...to answer your question on whether or not being saved AND doing good works are a requirement.....

Accepting the Lord as your savior and becoming "saved" as we like to call it - yes - that is absolutely a requirement.

To elaborate on that....here are the reasons why: Adam and Eve sinned causing the human race to be completely separated from God (Isaiah 59:1,2). In the early days, God tried to save people from their sins by asking for an offering - which was to sacrifice livestock - unfortunately - that was completely misused and wasn't working. So the Lord decided to send the ultimate sacrifice....His son. By Jesus walking the Earth as a human being and being perfect in the site of God - Jesus being sacrificed on the cross was the ultimate sacrifice and nothing could save us now EXCEPT the blood of Christ (1 Peter 2:24 says....He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sin and live for righteousness; by his wounds we are healed.). Then it goes on to say in John 3:3-7 that we must be born again before we can see and enter into the Kingdom of God. By saying born again.....that is meaning....praying to God and accepting and thanking the Lord for being the ultimate sacrifice and the ONLY way into heaven.

So now as a Christian - going through those steps that I mentioned above - you have REALIZED (that you are a sinner without excuse and Jesus is the only way to be saved from our sins) then you RECOGNIZE (that Jesus is the only Lord and Savior) then you RESPOND (by turning from sin and putting your faith in Christ to follow His teachings).

By RESPONDING that is exactly the answer to your question. It is not that going out and helping the old lady cross the street or helping out in your community to clean up or volunteer somewhere is a CHORE - it is a DESIRE - to spread the love of Jesus like He did during His time here on Earth.

But no....good works is not a requirement.

Hope this helps y'all!!
      GO GATORS!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i spent a lot of time on that post above and no one is going to respond?

come on people....likes? dislikes? questions? comments? SOMETHING?
      GO GATORS!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Sorry, I would have replied earlier but I just got home from work. Thanks for putting all that thought into it, but I think I miscommunicated my question.

What I am wondering is how did Jesus' death pay for anything since we technically are still damned to hell unless we take overt action to accept God as our savior? I think you may have given your answer to that in your sixth paragraph, but if you did I'll need you to rephrase as I'm not completely understanding.

I see your view point about works not necessarily being needed to get into heaven. I was raised with the same belief. Still there are denominations who disagree on that though. I really admire you for wanting to do "good works" because of your faith. Unfortunately not everyone is that way as nearly every person in prison has found god.
      Patrick Murray.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by JD77
      Unfortunately not everyone is that way as nearly every person in prison has found god.
      hahaha....i'm not quite sure if you meant that to be funny - but it struck me as a joke?

oh and no worries about responding i was just jokin - i was just kinda anxious to hear what the comments were.

i will think about your question some more and see how to re-word it.....but for right now i have a ton of work to do before tomorrow morning's class - but i will for sure get back to you in a timely manner!
      GO GATORS!!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Yes and no.... Adam Corolla comments on that all the time on Loveline. I intended it as a joke, but at the same time it is very true. For some reason almost no one in prison or jail is an athiest. I think they are probably just using their various religions as a tool for the parole board as none of them act like a christian is supposed to. Just religion as a matter of convenience.
      Patrick Murray.

Cipher
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

He gave us the option. The old covenant with the people was a burnt sacrifice. The new covenant was Jesus being crucified. That gave us the "option if you will, to choose our path. God doesnt want a bunch of midless puppets. He wants us to have free choice. The choice to worship whoever or whatever you wish. But Jesus paid out sin debt from Adam and Eve in full and all we have to do to get into heaven is accept Jesus as our Saviour and live for him.

Ciph