• Join Us!
  • Eric Rudolph Is Caught!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Eric Rudolph Is Caught!

TheGame1976 is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 242
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Eric Rudolph Is Caught!

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

MURPHY, N.C. (May 31) - Eric Rudolph, the longtime fugitive charged in the 1996 Olympic Park bombing and in attacks at an abortion clinic and a gay nightclub, was arrested early Saturday in the mountains of North Carolina, the Justice Department said.

The FBI confirmed Rudolph's identity through a fingerprint match, authorities said.

''Eric Robert Rudolph, the most notorious American fugitive on the FBI's most wanted list, has been captured and will face American justice,'' Attorney General John Ashcroft said Saturday. ''This sends a clear message that we will never cease in our efforts to hunt down all terrorists, foreign or domestic, and stop them from harming the innocent.''

Rudolph was captured after police in western North Carolina spotted a man digging in a trash bin in the small town of Murphy at about 4:30 a.m., said FBI Special Agent John Iannarelli. Police said the man appeared to be homeless, and officers recognized him only after he was brought in to the station.

Rudolph had been on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list and had eluded a massive manhunt for five years, much of it in the western North Carolina mountains near where he was arrested Saturday. The FBI had offered a $1 million reward for his capture.

The 36-year-old Army veteran and experienced outdoorsman hadn't been seen since July 1998 after he took supplies from a health store owner in North Carolina.

Authorities believed he had fled into the mountains, and as more time passed with no reported sightings of him, some believed he must be dead.

They spent years searching the hills and caves around Murphy for any trace of Rudolph. Early in the search, they ran across some camping sites believed to be his and found cartons of oatmeal and raisins, jars of peanuts and vitamins, and cans of tuna they said were the same brands Rudolph ate.

The 1996 bombing at the crowded Olympic park during the summer Olympics in Atlanta followed closely on the heels of the Oklahoma City federal building bombing and stunned the world.

The bomb was left hidden in a knapsack in the crowded Centennial Olympic Park on July 27, 1996. When it exploded, it killed one woman and injured 111 other people.

Two years later, Rudolph was charged with that attack and in three others - at a gay nightclub in Atlanta and at an office building north of Atlanta in 1997, and at an abortion clinic in Birmingham in 1998. One police officer was killed.

In all, the bombings killed two people and wounded more than 100 people, according to the FBI.

Rudolph, a Florida native who moved to western North Carolina in 1981, was believed to adhere to Christian Identity, a white supremacist religion that is anti-gay, anti-Semitic and anti-foreigner. Some of the four bombs he is charged with planting included messages from the shadowy ''Army of God.''

The search for Rudolph began a day after the Birmingham blast. He was initially sought as a witness: A gray 1989 Nissan pickup truck registered in his name was seen near the clinic following the explosion.

He was tied to the bombings when authorities who searched a storage locker he had rented in Murphy found nails like those used in the clinic attacks.

At its height, the search for Rudolph in the mountainous region in western North Carolina, just over the Tennessee border, included more than 200 federal agents. In 2000, it was scaled back to less than a handful of agents working out of a National Guard Armory just outside Murphy.

Pockets of western North Carolina have had a reputation as a haven for right-wing extremists. Some there mocked the government's inability to find Rudolph with bloodhounds, infrared-equipped helicopters and space-age motion detectors - and some said they would hide him if asked.

The FBI had said it believed Rudolph was somewhere in the Nantahala National Forest, living on his own, breaking into vacant vacation cabins, stealing from local gardens.

Early Saturday, Murphy Police Officer **** Postell spotted a man behind the Save-A-Lot grocery who was rooting through trash and looked suspicious, officer James Pack said.

Postell was alone when he approached the man, and the man tried to run, but he stopped when Postell pointed his gun at him, Pack said. He said officers didn't realize until they brought the man to the police station that it was Rudolph.

**** Lyons, whose wife, Emily, was critically injured in the women's clinic attack in Birmingham, said they had never given up hope that Rudolph would be caught. Saturday morning, a friend called after hearing the news.

''I turned to Emily, and I said 'What news would be worth being woken up for?''' he said. ''This is indeed one of the best days we've had in quite some time.''

Robert Stadler, whose wife worked at an attorney's office in the Atlanta building that was bombed in 1997, had been inside the building with the couple's baby twins when the bomb exploded. They had made it outside when a second bomb exploded that injured several police officers.

''We had moved on from what happened in 1997,'' Stadler said Saturday, ''but always there was a feeling that Eric Rudolph was somewhere.''

AP-NY-05-31-03 1203EDT

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

rado
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

hopefully they fry fuckers like that......and I thought Pudgy and I posted threads on here, well I was wrong

gongshow is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 200
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

hmmmm
      Mod @ SuperiorMuscle

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses—behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights."
      Muhammad Ali

darmadoc
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I always find it intriguing when people who are "pro-life" kill people. I am even more intrigued when they use bombs that kill people who aren't even involved. Don't the ten commandments have something to say about this?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I don't know how he lived up in the mountains for that long. 1 down 9 more to go. Osama here we come. If I knew he was there I would have hunted his ass for the million dollars although I don't like nature

34pumped
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

well that is not to far from were i live maybe 1 hr drive ..lmao i should have went and looked for him !!!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I heard he his survival skills are unreal. He probably would have killed any civilian looking for him unless he/she was a real pro.

bigjim33
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!