• Join Us!
  • Class Action Lawsuit Against Ephedrine
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Class Action Lawsuit Against Ephedrine

YellowJacket is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 428
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Class Action Lawsuit Against Ephedrine

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

CHICAGO--A class action lawsuit was launched against approximately 16 ephedra manufacturers across the United States--possibly the first such suit in the supplement industry. The complaint names Metabolife International, Twin Laboratories, Rexall Sundown and Cytodyne, in addition to other ephedra power players such as Herbalife, Next Protein, EAS and Bioplex Nutrition.

Chicago-based Kenneth B. Moll & Associates filed the class action suit May 12 in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois to recover damages for such incidences as death, personal injuries, restitution and refunds. In a press release, Moll stated, "Our main goal is to inform consumers of the serious dangers associated with ingesting ephedra and to have all products containing ephedra removed from the market because the risks of death and serious injury outweigh its minimal effectiveness."

The class action's goals include having defendants cease and desist manufacturing and selling ephedra dietary products; informing the public that ephedra consumers are at an increased risk of cardiac complications; providing compensation to all victims for death and personal injuries; setting up a fund for all ephedra users for medical monitoring; and reimbursing monies to ephedra consumers.

Three plaintiffs are named in the suit. One plaintiff suffered a seizure, allegedly because of ephedra; another suffered heart complications, supposedly as a result of ephedra; and the third suffered from such ailments as heart palpitations and anxiety, purportedly because of ephedra. Moll & Associates could not be reached for comment regarding the medical accuracy of these allegations.

According to Marc Ullman of New York-based Ullman, Shapiro & Ullman, this may be the first class action lawsuit launched against a group of ephedra manufacturers. Prior, single-company class action suits have been waged against companies such as Cytodyne.

Calls to Twin Laboratories and Cytodyne were not returned by press time; Rexall Sundown and Metabolife had no comment "on pending litigation." In the face of the mounting controversy behind ephedra, both Twin Laboratories and Rexall Sundown had recently stopped sale of ephedra supplements.

The court action took place just a week after GNC announced it would also discontinue the sale of all ephedra-based products. "We believe that ephedra-based products are safe when used as directed," said Michael K. Meyers, president and chief executive officer of General Nutrition Corp. (www.gnc.com). "Nonetheless, the current business climate dictates that we move in a different direction." GNC will remove all ephedra products from store shelves on June 30.

In related news, on May 12 the state Senate of California approved a ban of ephedra-based products, which was approved by 24 Democrats and 14 Republicans. The bill, SB 582, was introduced by Sen. Jackie Speier (D-San Francisco) (https://democrats.sen.ca.gov/senator/speier). The bill now goes before the state Assembly, where it will be read yet again and possibly amended, according to a spokesperson for Speier.

italia215 is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 142
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

it never ends does it. they should just make it manditory to have an IQ of at least 50 to purchase it! god damn, to think we might end op having to go to mexico to get ephedrine one day. what's next??

Drenten
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Nobody is responsible for his/her own actions anymore. If anything bad happens, it must be somebody else’s fault.

Speedracer59 is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Saw a peice on ESPN the other day. Illinois is supposedly going to be the first state to ban it, if theyhavent already. It brings me back to my point,How many people have died from smoking? Not going to ban cigs are they, nope just tax the hell out of them. If ephedrine was taxed like cigs there would not even be this talk.
      "There is no such thing as big pussies just little dicks. If it is loose just keep packing dick to it."

YellowJacket is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 428
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by Speedracer59
      Saw a peice on ESPN the other day. Illinois is supposedly going to be the first state to ban it, if theyhavent already. It brings me back to my point,How many people have died from smoking? Not going to ban cigs are they, nope just tax the hell out of them. If ephedrine was taxed like cigs there would not even be this talk.
      I sent a lengthy e-mail to ESPN c/o Outside the Lines Nightly about ephedrine night before last. I cited well over 50 articles showing the relative safety and effectiveness of ephedrine, something tells me it wont appear on a nightly show of theirs

Anything to draw attention. Ephedrine is the devil. Like someone said above, its much easier to go after someone's money when a loved on days, than to accept some accountability and realize abusing any drug, OTC or not can be harmful or deadly.

Rhapsody is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 64
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by Drenten
      Nobody is responsible for his/her own actions anymore. If anything bad happens, it must be somebody else’s fault.
      yep! you said it !!
      RhapsodyInBlue
      ThE CAtS MEoW

'no one else ever came close'

Mod@AnabolicUniverse.com

Mod@Anabolic-Support.com

Proud Member of AnabolicMinds.Com

Rhapsody@keptprivate.com

Speedracer59 is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 341
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by YellowJacket
      I sent a lengthy e-mail to ESPN c/o Outside the Lines Nightly about ephedrine night before last. I cited well over 50 articles showing the relative safety and effectiveness of ephedrine, something tells me it wont appear on a nightly show of theirs

Anything to draw attention. Ephedrine is the devil. Like someone said above, its much easier to go after someone's money when a loved on days, than to accept some accountability and realize abusing any drug, OTC or not can be harmful or deadly.
      Funny thing is both doctors they got seemed to be pro ephedra.The host kept trying to down it .
      "There is no such thing as big pussies just little dicks. If it is loose just keep packing dick to it."

crimsonice5656
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

YJ, you should post that or try to get it published somewhere. As you well know, there are many people out there who think ephedrine is terrible and is going to kill you with one pill. It'd be great to show people to get them to shut up.