• Join Us!
  • DRY SKIN
  • DRY SKIN
  • DRY SKIN
  • DRY SKIN
  • DRY SKIN
  • DRY SKIN
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: DRY SKIN

geeezer is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 357
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      is Yep Im ready!!

I am:
      Hungry

Level

Default DRY SKIN

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN

• DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      Dry Skin

What Is It?
      Normal skin has a soft, supple texture because of its water content. For skin to feel soft, pliable and "normal," its top layer must contain a minimum of 10% water — and ideally between 20% and 35%. To help protect the outer layer of skin from losing water, the skin's sebaceous glands produce an oily substance called sebum. Sebum is a complex mixture of fatty acids, sugars, waxes and other natural chemicals that form a protective barrier against water evaporation. If the skin doesn't have enough sebum, it loses water and feels dry. If environmental factors cause more water evaporation and overwhelm the ability of sebum to prevent water loss, the skin will shrivel and crack.

Dry skin, also called xerosis, is a very common problem in modern societies, affecting people of all ages, even infants. In the United States, most cases of dry skin are related to one or more of the following factors:

Decreased production of sebum — This is often a factor in the elderly, since the number and activity of sebaceous glands in the skin tends to decrease with age.
      Loss of existing sebum — This usually is caused by lifestyle factors, such as excessive bathing or showering, excessive scrubbing of the skin while washing, or harsh soaps that dissolve the protective layer of sebum. In some cases, the result is dry skin over the entire body, especially among school athletes who shower several times a day. In other cases, dry skin affects only the hands — for example, in health care workers, food handlers, house cleaners, homemakers and others who frequently wash their hands.
      Environmental conditions that increase water loss — Extreme environmental conditions can overwhelm the skin's natural protective barrier, causing water to evaporate. This is an important reason for dry skin among people who live in sun-baked desert climates, especially in parts of the southwestern United States. Excessively dry indoor air also can cause dry skin and "winter itch" in the northern United States, particularly in people who use forced-air heating systems. Among outdoor athletes, frequent exposure to wind and sun can evaporate water from the skin, making the surface feel itchy and dry. Even swimmers can get dry skin, since the chemical content of pool water actually draws moisture from the skin.
      Dry skin is a common problem in people with diabetes or skin allergies (atopic dermatitis). Less often, it can also be a symptom of hypothyroidism, kidney failure or Sjögren's syndrome. In addition, dry skin sometimes develops as a side effect of medication, especially acne products that are applied to the skin.

Symptoms
      Sometimes, the only symptom of dry skin is itching, although most people also will notice that their skin is flaky and slightly more wrinkled than normal. Symptoms of dry skin may worsen during the winter months, especially if you spend a lot of time indoors, where the heated air is dry

Diagnosis
      In most cases of uncomplicated dry skin, you can make the diagnosis yourself. Begin by examining your normal skin care routine. Do you often take long, hot baths or showers that may be washing away your skin's protective sebum? Do you shower several times a day or scrub your skin surface with harsh soaps? Do you have a job that requires frequent handwashing?

Next, examine your environmental risk factors, both indoors and outdoors. Do you live in a dry, desert climate? Do you usually spend your winter months indoors, in heated rooms without a humidifier? When you do go outdoors, do you protect your skin with appropriate clothing or with a sunscreen on exposed surfaces? When was the last time you used a moisturizer?

Expected Durnatio
      Once you begin to take care of your skin properly, the flakiness and itch of dry skin should improve within one or two weeks. In many cases, a good moisturizer will begin to make your skin look softer and suppler within minutes.

Without proper care, dry skin can become a chronic problem that can lead to skin thickening, cracking and bleeding. This may increase your risk of skin infections.

Prevention
      You can help to prevent dry skin by taking these steps:

Bathe with comfortably warm (not hot) water, using a soap that either has a high fat content or contains glycerin. Avoid scrubbing.
      If you are an athlete, shower off quickly after a workout or game. Use warm water, and bring your own mild soap, since heavy-duty "gym" brands may be too strong.
      When you finish your bath or shower, pat dry and immediately apply moisturizer. An unscented moisturizing lotion is easy to apply and will help maintain skin moisture.
      Cover exposed skin when you play outdoors. If you can't wear protective clothing because of hot weather or game regulations, apply a sunscreen with a moisturizer. If you are a swimmer and have problems with dry skin, apply a light layer of petroleum jelly before you enter the pool. Shower when you are out of the pool, pat dry, and immediately apply a moisturizer.
      If your indoor air is dry during winter months, use a humidifier to raise the humidity level.
      As necessary during the day, apply a moisturizer that contains at least one of the following ingredients: glycerin, urea, pyroglutamic acid, sorbitol, lactic acid, lactate salts or alpha hydroxy acids.
      Avoid overusing antiperspirants and perfumes, since these products can dry the skin.

Prognosis
      Overall, the prognosis is excellent. You can often prevent dry skin by making a few simple changes in lifestyle. If dry skin develops, there are many soothing and effective treatments available. Most can be purchased without a prescription.

jipped genes is offline VET
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: DRY SKIN

i started using coconut oil on my shins which are super dry and ashy. works great
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

hicktown is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 996
      Achievements:
      is Beast Mode

I am:
      Happy

Level

Ive had dry skin since i was in my teens and i basically self diagnosed it as ecxsema/psoriasis or however you spell it. It started on my head so i have to use head & shoulders everyday and i have it on the middle of my chest which peels alot, skin peels in my ebrows and in my beard too. I had to get some prescription cream. Pretty dam annoying too.

Yohimbe is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Hungry

Level

My skin always gets dry during the winter. Also seems like the older I get, the worse it gets.. or the more I notice it. The worst is when my back starts itching. Then I'm like a bear scratching my back on everything I can find lol.
      Train Till Your Eyes Bleed!

animal87 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 390
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      is eating doughnuts in the squat
      rack

I am:
      Crazy

Level

I use dandruff shampoo on my hair and it got rid of it, but i started getting dry skin in my beard. I cant get it to go away. I do those things it said not to, take showers very hot and scrub my skin so I'll try not doing that for a few days and see if it helps.
      Animal the manimal

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

If you don't exfoliate first, all the lotion creams etc is a waste. Try dry skin brushing. It has numerous benefits. Also if you see mineral oil as one of the first two ingredients, don't waste your money on it
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

Skeletor is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 149
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN

• DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      • DRY SKIN
      I had bad dermatitis on my face for a long time. Not sure what happened but it went away about 8 years ago and has never come back!