• Join Us!
  • carbs and body building
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: carbs and body building

MOUNTAIN-MAN is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 5.0%
      is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

Default carbs and body building

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

For many people, post-workout recovery includes a dose of fast-acting carbohydrates. But do you really need carbs as part of your post-workout meal for optimal gains?

EMAIL
      MORE
      by Jim Stoppani, Ph.D.
      Last updated: Sep 02, 2014

VITAL STATS

Name: Jim Stoppani, PhD

I have a confession to make: I like to eat candy after I work out! If you've followed any of my diets, you already know I'm a big proponent of eating high-glycemic, fast-digesting carbs immediately after my workouts.

Aside from specific low-carb phases, most of the nutrition programs I write include post-workout carbs alongside supplements like protein, creatine, beta-alanine, carnitine, and betaine. I prefer dextrose as my post-workout carb source, which can be found in supplements like Post JYM, or in tasty sweets like Pixy Stix and gummy bears.

I've received a lot of questions lately about the importance of post-workout carbs. Some people are confused about how carbs factor into recovery and growth, while others worry that carbs will spur fat gain. If you're curious about the power of post-workout carbs, this article will help you understand their place in your recovery regimen.

REFUEL YOUR GLYCOGEN—FAST
      The main reason to consume carbs post-workout is to replenish the muscle glycogen that you burned during your workout. As you train, your main fuel source is muscle glycogen. Glycogen is the storage form of glucose. It is composed of long strings of glucose molecules with numerous branches.

The glucose break from the glycogen chain as needed in order to generate ATP, which transports chemical energy and is crucial for muscle contractions. Research confirms that the best way to replenish muscle glycogen stores after workouts is to consume high-glycemic (fast-digesting) carbs as soon as possible.

RESEARCH CONFIRMS THAT THE BEST WAY TO REPLENISH MUSCLE GLYCOGEN STORES AFTER WORKOUTS IS TO CONSUME HIGH-GLYCEMIC (FAST-DIGESTING) CARBS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
      Some "experts" argue that during a typical weight-lifting workout, you don't burn up enough glycogen to be concerned about replenishing it. To that I say, "What?!" When you deplete any amount of muscle glycogen, you should be concerned with replacing it—especially if muscle growth is your main goal. If a trainer claims people don't need to worry about replenishing glycogen, then that trainer's workouts are very low-volume and very low-intensity, or they haven't done any research.

The research on glycogen usage during resistance training shows that workouts consisting of anywhere from 6-20 sets and lasting roughly 15-30 minutes in length deplete muscle glycogen levels by about 30-40 percent. Since my workouts last 60-90 minutes, force you to move rapidly between exercises, and use high-intensity training techniques like cardio acceleration and Tabata, they'll deplete your muscle glycogen levels by a good 60-75 percent.

Take your carb intake seriously and replenish your muscle glycogen stores. Not doing so is cheating your muscles and limiting recovery. In fact, delaying carb consumption by just 2 hours has been shown to reduce the rate of glycogen replenishment by 50 percent!

DELAYING CARB CONSUMPTION BY JUST 2 HOURS HAS BEEN SHOWN TO REDUCE THE RATE OF GLYCOGEN REPLENISHMENT BY 50 PERCENT!
      Even so, some experts argue that none of this matters for most people in the gym because some minimal evidence suggests that, whether you consume carbs immediately after training or two hours later, glycogen levels replenish themselves within 24 hours. Again, the evidence for this is weak. What we are sure of is that the quickest way to replenish muscle glycogen is to consume high-glycemic carbs immediately after a workout.

Fully replenishing your muscle glycogen levels as quickly as possible after workouts is important for growth. Stored glycogen in muscle cells pulls water into those cells. This increases the muscle cell volume and therefore muscle fiber fullness.

Given that you gain a muscle pump during the workout, which also increases the amount of water in the muscle cells and therefore the volume of those cells, quickly replenishing muscle glycogen levels can help you maintain a higher muscle cell volume for a longer period. This can be important because evidence suggests that a greater muscle cell volume instigates changes in the muscle that lead to long-term muscle growth.

Another benefit of consuming carbs—especially high-glycemic carbs like dextrose—immediately after an intense workout is that you'll feel rejuvenated. Carbs can take you from feeling wiped out and lethargic after a brutal workout to energetic and well-fueled. Plus, eating high-glycemic carbs after a workout typically satisfies a massive craving for sugary or starchy carbs without a negative impact on your diet progress.

I often recommend gummy bears for post-workout carbs, which most people find very satisfying. As an added bonus, a post-gym gummy often helps people "bear" through strict dieting the rest of the day.

THE INSULIN DEBATE
      Another benefit of high-glycemic carbs is the insulin spike that they deliver. While insulin is considered an anabolic hormone, its role in muscle growth is now often debated. While it was once believed to be a critical factor in initiating muscle protein synthesis and decreasing muscle breakdown, some evidence now suggests that insulin is not that critical for muscle growth. The delivery of adequate amino acids to muscle cells from substantial amounts of protein appears to be more critical.

Only recently has research compared the consumption of post-workout protein alone to the consumption of post-workout protein plus carbs. This research shows that, as far as protein synthesis is concerned, the addition of carbs to a protein shake does not boost muscle protein synthesis or decrease muscle protein breakdown to any greater extent than a protein-only shake.

But insulin is still important immediately after workouts. Insulin attaches to specific receptors on muscle cells. When this happens, it allows for glucose and amino acids, as well as creatine and carnitine, to be taken up by muscle cells. In fact, research shows that both creatine and carnitine are highly dependent on insulin to gain entry into muscle cells and provide benefits.

Since you should be taking these two supplements post workout, you will want to maximally spike insulin levels if muscle mass is your main goal. That being said, during periods of dieting when you have to slash all carbs—including post-workout carbs—a post-workout protein shake and BCAAs will adequately spike insulin to drive these supplements into your muscles.

DEXTROSE THE BEST POST-WORKOUT CARB SOURCE
      Consuming pure glucose—also called dextrose—after a workout means the body doesn't need to digest it. Because post-workout glucose can be absorbed into the bloodstream almost as quickly as it's ingested, it gets to your spent muscles as rapidly as possible, resulting in the quickest and most complete replenishment of muscle glycogen. This will keep muscles stocked with ample glycogen for your next workout and pull water into your muscle cells, maximizing your muscle size.

FRUCTOSE NOT FAST ENOUGH
      The sugar fructose—which makes up 50 percent of the sugar in most fruits, honey, and sucrose —is actually a low-glycemic carbohydrate.

Fructose is a form of sugar that the body doesn't really use well. Because of its structure, it can't be directly turned into muscle glycogen like glucose can. When you consume fructose—fruit or high-fructose corn syrup—it's not absorbed immediately into the bloodstream like glucose/dextrose. Instead, the majority of it must travel to the liver, where it can be converted into glucose and stored as glycogen to be released as glucose when the liver deems it necessary to maintain blood glucose levels.

Since it won't optimize muscle glycogen replenishment, fructose is not a great post-workout choice. That's one of the main reasons I recommend opting for gummy bears and Pixy Stix over fruit or other candies. Most candy uses high-fructose corn syrup or sugar as the main sweetener. Table sugar (sucrose) is about 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose, while high-fructose corn syrup is about 55 percent fructose or more.

Wonka Pixy Stix are sweetened with 100 percent dextrose. Most gummy bears, such as Haribo brand, use dextrose and corn syrup. Corn syrup is primarily glucose and is considerably different from adulterated high-fructose corn syrup.

MORE CARB CONFUSION
      Many people worry that fast carbs after workouts will make them fat. However, the post-workout period is the one time of day when you're almost guaranteed that those carbs will not be converted into body fat. Unless you've cut carbs from your diet entirely, don't risk suboptimal gains by skipping post-workout carb consumption.

If you're dieting to lose body fat and you're consuming carbs at any other meals of the day, the last thing that you want to do is nix the post-workout carbs. If anything, cut carbs from other meals and save them for right after your gym session.

UNLESS YOU'VE CUT CARBS FROM YOUR DIET ENTIRELY, DON'T RISK SUBOPTIMAL GAINS BY SKIPPING POST-WORKOUT CARB CONSUMPTION.
      Maybe you're worried about post-workout carbs because some expert claimed eating carbs right after a workout can lower growth hormone (GH) and testosterone levels, but the recommendation to forego carbs immediately after workouts to prevent a drop in growth hormone and testosterone levels is severely flawed. Why? Because growth hormone and testosterone levels peak during a workout; when the workout is over they plummet rapidly.

Growth hormone and testosterone levels are going to fall after a workout regardless of whether or not you eat anything. So eat up after workouts and stop worrying about your already plummeting hormone levels.

JIM'S TAKE-HOME POINTS
      To truly maximize muscle recovery and growth, your best bet is to consume fast carbs along with protein immediately after workouts. There's really no debating how well this strategy works in the real world. Skipping carbs after a workout to prevent a drop in hormone levels or because they don't increase muscle protein synthesis is silly if you're eating carbs at other meals.

The post-workout window is the best time to maximize the utilization of those carbs, and it helps with the utilization of other supplements—like creatine and carnitine—that you should be taking post-workout.

The only time you should cut carbs from your post-workout meal is when you have slashed all carbs from your diet, except for the small amount in vegetables and protein powders. This should only be done when fat loss is your primary focus.

THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD CUT CARBS FROM YOUR POST-WORKOUT MEAL IS WHEN YOU HAVE SLASHED ALL CARBS FROM YOUR DIET, EXCEPT FOR THE SMALL AMOUNT IN VEGETABLES AND PROTEINPOWDERS. THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE WHEN FAT LOSS IS YOUR PRIMARY FOCUS.
      The good news is that, even without carbs, muscle protein synthesis will not be compromised. Even insulin will spike as long as you consume a protein powder, and the addition of BCAAs will enhance the effect.

Use the following guidelines when putting your newfound carbohydrate knowledge to good use:

Immediately after workouts, shoot for about 40 grams of protein from a mix of whey and casein, to maximize muscle protein synthesis.

Consider adding 5-10 grams of BCAAs post-workout to ensure maximal protein synthesis and further boost the insulin spike. This is especially important if you are in a carb-free post-workout phase of your diet.

When consuming carbs, go with 20-60 grams of high-glycemic carbs after your workouts depending on your weight, goals, and the intensity and duration of the workout.

If you find that a big dose of high-glycemic carbs leaves you feeling lethargic, then have a smaller dose of high-glycemic carbs (15-30 grams) and follow it with a small dose of low-glycemic carbs (15-30 grams) such as fruit, oatmeal, or a sweet potato.

During phases of your diet where you are slashing all carbs and need to skip post-workout carbs, have 40 grams of a protein shake and 5-10 grams of BCAAs. This will keep you anabolic, despite being low carb.

REFERENCES
      Robergs, R., Pearson, D., Costill, D., & Fink, W. (1991). Muscle glycogenolysis during differing intensities of weight-resistance exercise. Journal of Applied Physiology, 1700-1706.
      Essen-Gustavsson, B. and Tesch, P. (1990). Glycogen and triglyceride utilization in relation to muscle metabolic characteristics in men performing heavy-resistance exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 5-10.
      Tesch, P., et al. (1986). Muscle metabolism during intense, heavy- resistance exercise. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 362-6.
      Ivy, J. (1998). Glycogen resynthesis after exercise: effect of carbohydrate intake. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 142-5.
      Staples, A. W., et al. Carbohydrate does not augment exercise-induced protein accretion versus protein alone. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011 Jul;43(7):1154-61.
      Koopman, R., et al. (2007). Coingestion of carbohydrate with protein does not further augment postexercise muscle protein synthesis. American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism, 833–42.
      Casagrande Figueiredo, V. and Cameron-Smith, D. (2013). Is carbohydrate needed to further stimulate muscle protein synthesis/hypertrophy following resistance exercise? Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 42.
      Caronia, L. M., et al. (2014). Abrupt decrease in serum testosterone levels after an oral glucose load in men: Implications for screening for hypogonadism. Clinical Endocrinology, 291-296

is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

Default Re: carbs and body building

i have had alot of ??? latley about carbs when i started bb years ago i thought protien only carbs are very important i found out years later and then i really grew so i hope this helps you guys and girls out some.

is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

How Many Carbs Do You Need?

That's right. You can determine the just how many carbs you should be consuming every day. No guess work. The following will guide your way to finding the optimum carbohydrate intake for you.

Carbohydrates For Bodybuilding. How Much?

That's a question that has been answered with extremes for some time. Let's look at the major swings that have taken place so far.
      Carbohydrates were once the scourge of the bodybuilding world. High protein zero carbohydrate diets were all the rage in the 1970's for bodybuilders trying get lean and build muscle. This ketogenic diet did work for dropping fat quickly but it made for a sluggish, irritable feeling. The rebound effect of going on and off this type of diet can work against your goals.

Now, for certain people, a ketogenic diet might be helpful for short periods. It can be a tool to cure cravings and reset yourself mentally. This can help you transition into a more reasonable, long term bodybuilding diet.

In the 80's the pendulum swung the other direction and high carb low fat diets were the new fad. There were many bodybuilders who did have success with this diet, but it's not ideal for most people. High carbohydrate/low fat diets can make it hard to stay lean and can promote chronic disease. This is the diet used to fatten livestock and it works very well for that purpose.

So What is the Answer?

The answer is to not go to extremes with anything. The body has certain requirements for everything. Too much or too little of anything isn't good for the long haul. The best thing to do is to give your body the fuel it needs in the amount it requires. No more, no less.

First you must determine your protein requirements. Did you get that number? If not click on the link and figure that out before proceeding any further. Then come back here to determine how many carbs are right for your situation.
      OK. So you know how many grams of protein you need to consume each day based on your lean body mass and your activity levels. The base line ratio of protein to carbohydrates is .75 to 1. So here is the simple equation used to determine how many carbs are right for you:

Grams of Protein ÷ .75 = Your Daily Grams of Carbohydrate

Example: If my daily protein requirement is 137 grams. My daily carbohydrate requirement is 137 ÷ .75 = 183 grams. So I would need to consume 183 grams of carbs throughout the day.

I've found the right amount for me. Now what?

The .75 to 1 ratio of protein to carbs should be your goal with every meal or snack you eat. This ratio keeps your blood sugar and insulin under control. You'll feel satisfied longer, have more energy for workouts, and won't experience the yo-yo ups and downs associated with high carb meals.
      You have the protein needed. You know how many carbs. What's left? Oh, yeah! Fat. We can't forget fat. No, it's not your enemy. In fact, it's a very useful and extremely healthy part of any bodybuilders diet.

is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

Trying to build muscle? Don’t cut the carbs
      LESLIE BECK
      Special to The Globe and Mail
      Published Monday, Jan. 20 2014, 12:00 AM EST
      Last updated Monday, Jan. 20 2014, 12:00 AM EST
      6 comments

AA

THE QUESTION

I strength-train four days a week and eat a high-protein diet, but I’m not gaining muscle. What I am doing wrong with my diet?

THE ANSWER

It can be frustrating to work hard at the gym and pay attention to your diet but still not realize muscle gains. In my private practice, this is a common complaint from male clients who are trying to lose body fat and build muscle.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY

Here’s how to avoid common calorie blunders
      Which butter is better for you: almond or peanut?
      The four local vegetables that will get you through winter

VIDEO
      Video: Nutrition Basics: Healthy eating resolutions you'll actually be able to maintain

VIDEO
      Video: Nutrition Basics: The right way to incorporate a protein supplement into your diet

NUTRITION BASICS
      Video: Nutrition Basics: What to eat (and how much) when you're pregnant
      It’s a tricky combo to achieve – one goal requires eating a surplus of calories and the other is achieved by trimming excess calories. If you don’t eat enough calories (usually the result of cutting too many carbohydrates), the extra protein you consume will be used for energy purposes rather than muscle growth.

To answer this question, I am going to assume you are following a structured training program designed to increase muscle mass. With the exercise component checked off, let’s focus on diet.

It’s true you need more protein than a sedentary person – or a marathoner, for that matter – if your goal is to build muscle by strength training. Dietary protein supplies muscles with amino acids (the building blocks of protein), which are used to repair and build muscle tissue. This is especially true in the early stages of resistance training when bigger gains in muscle size occur.

Providing you’re eating enough calories, a diet that contains 1.2 to 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight will provide enough protein to build muscle. A 175-pound (79.5 kg) male, for example, should aim for 95 to 160 g of protein each day. One cup Greek yogurt, 2 cups skim milk, 12 ounces of chicken breast, 1/4 cup almonds plus one scoop (30 g) of whey protein provide a total of 160 g protein.

Consuming more protein won’t enhance muscle building since there’s a limit to the rate at which protein can be synthesized into muscle. The extra protein will be burned for energy or, if your diet is calorie-sufficient, stored as body fat.

Protein-rich foods – e.g. lean meat, poultry, fish, egg whites, yogurt, milk, tofu, legumes, nuts, protein powder – should be a part of every meal and snack to help promote muscle building. Doing so optimizes amino acids in the bloodstream.

Here’s a key ingredient that may be lacking in your diet: carbohydrate calories. Carbs should be the first nutrient you focus on since your muscles need to be fuelled to do the work that stimulates them to get bigger. Add a source of carbohydrate, such as whole-grain bread, cereal, rice, quinoa, pasta and sweet potato, fruit to all meals and snacks.

Post-workout snacks should include protein (10 to 20 g) and carbohydrate; protein powder mixed with water is not enough. That’s because carbohydrate triggers an increase in insulin, a hormone that stimulates the uptake of amino acids by muscle cells. Options include a protein shake made with whey protein, almond milk and a banana, two cups of fruit salad and 3/4 cup Greek yogurt or a turkey (3 ounces) sandwich.

Before a strength workout, eat a carbohydrate-rich snack that includes at least 6 g of protein to enhance post-exercise muscle repair. You’ll find 6 g of protein in a hard-boiled egg, 2 egg whites, 1/4 cup nuts or 3/4 cup regular yogurt. And don’t skimp on the carbohydrates; remember you need extra calories to gain muscle.

Be patient. Everyone has a different genetic potential for building muscle mass. If you think you’re doing everything right, yet you’re still stuck, consider consulting a dietitian.

Leslie Beck, a registered dietitian, is based at the Medisys clinic in Toronto. She can be seen every Thursday at noon on CTV News Channel’s Direct; lesliebeck.com

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY

is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

4 reason why you need carbs to build muscle faster

progressive overload for bigger muscles photo
      1. Carbs give you ENERGY To build bigger muscles
      Some of the carbs you eat get stored in your muscles and the carbs

that are stored in your muscles (called glycogen) are your muscles MAIN source of energy so…

If you eat enough carbs (or if carbs are 30-to-60% of your diet) then your muscles will have enough energy to make you lift heavier weights, do more reps and sets to build muscle faster but…

If you don't eat enough carbs then you may not have the energy you need to workout with enough intensity to make your muscles bigger & stronger.

2. Carbs allow protein to build more muscle for you
      Your body uses carbs as its main source of energy and your body uses the protein you eat to build you bigger & stronger muscles but…

If you don't eat enough carbs then your body will use both the protein you eat and it may burn up some of your muscle mass (which is also made up of protein) for energy and…

If the protein you eat & your muscles are being used for energy then you're going to have a real hard time trying to build muscle fast so make sure you eat enough carbs to keep the muscle you have and to allow the protein you eat to build you more muscle.

3. Carbs make your muscles look much bigger!
      The carbs or the glycogen stored in your muscles adds to the volume, size, and weight of your muscles and as a matter of fact…

Next to water and muscle protein, muscle glycogen is one of the largest contributors to muscle mass in your body so basically…

If you don't eat a lot of carbs then your muscles wont look as big as they actually could so think about it like this…

Pretend your muscles are a balloon and then pretend that the carbs you eat and the water you drink as the air you blow into the balloon making it get bigger - see more ways to make your muscles look bigger here

4. Carbs are a poor man's creatine
      Creatine (just like carbs) gives you more energy for your workouts and…
      Creatine (just like carbs) makes your muscles look bigger by making your muscles hold onto more water so if you can't afford Creatine…
      Just make sure carbs are 30-to-60% of your diet and…
      You can get even more energy and make your muscles look even bigger when you combine Creatine & carbs but…
      How many carbs do you actually need?
      See how many carbs, proteins & fats you need to build muscle for a

more detailed answer but generally…

Your diet should be 30-to-60% carbs and you can use this calculator here to see the exact amount in grams you need for carbs to build muscle and although carbs are very important to help you build muscle…

This does mean you should eat massive amounts of carbs everyday because…

Eating TOO many carbs (or making carbs more than 60% of your diet) may cause you to eat too much making you gain fat and…
      Eating the wrong type of carbs instead of the complex carbs like this here may also cause you to eat too much & gain fat and also…
      There may be times when you have to cut back on how many carbs you eat to help you burn fat faster plus…
      Protein and fats are just as important to building muscle so make sure you go here to see if you're getting the right amounts of carbs, proteins and fats each day.