• Join Us!
  • Too Much Protein Limits Gains?!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Too Much Protein Limits Gains?!

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Too Much Protein Limits Gains?!

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Too Much Protein Limits Gains?!

Carlon Colker, M.D., F.A.C.N.

Well beyond even my earliest days in bodybuilding, it’s been a cornerstone concept of conventional dietary wisdom that to gain muscle you have to pile on the protein throughout the day, every day. True, there’s no disputing that working muscles, especially in the bodybuilder and athlete, require a greater amount of protein. But the issue becomes one of amount, what amount might be optimal, and whether it really is essential to never miss a protein meal, especially after a workout. The emerging truth may surprise you.

Certainly I’ve preached in my Extreme Muscle Enhancement that avoiding starvation and paying attention to proper meal cadence should generally rule nearly every day of a bodybuilder’s life. But giving the digestive system a rest from all that protein has its place because it resets your metabolic ability to build muscle.

Science is now supporting this idea. In fact, recent research confirms that dietary protein has influence on serum myostatin, and thus on muscle growth and size. Recall that the substance myostatin is a negative modulator of muscle growth. So the less myostatin you have, the more muscles are free to grow.

In a recent study, scientists focused on how dietary protein activates satellite cells. Satellite cells are precursors to skeletal muscle cells and thus play a key role in the body’s adaptive response to exercise. They examined 21 healthy male subjects, randomized them to two groups consuming either 1.2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight or only 0.1 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, and then had them lift weights. They then performed muscle biopsies from their legs and measured the post-exercise recovery. What they found was that satellite cells along with myostatin decreased significantly soon after exercise cessation in both diet groups. But then something interesting and almost contrarian happened at 48 and 72 hours. Although satellite cells and myostatin returned to baseline levels in the higher-protein group, the levels remained lower for longer in the lower-protein group. In fact, at the 72-hour point, myostatin protein expression was significantly elevated in the higher-protein group, whereas myostatin expression was significantly reduced at 72 hours in the lower-protein group. So while this study failed to demonstrate that dietary protein directly modulates a post-exercise increase in satellite cells, what they did find is that dietary protein concentration most certainly influences post-exercise myostatin levels. More specifically, extrapolating a bit, a carefully placed low- (not high-) protein diet may actually reduce myostatin levels and thus increase muscle. This indicates that the low myostatin state triggered by the exercising was spurring activation and differentiation of satellite cells.

But don’t be confused, because you still need that immediate blast of post-workout whey protein. Published clinical research by Hulmi and colleagues back in 2007 predated this other study and showed that protein ingestion immediately after resistance exercise suppresses myostatin expression. Myostatin expression increased significantly one hour after resistance training in a placebo group but not in a group administered whey protein.

The real question then becomes, is it really necessary or even optimal to take in excess protein at the 48-hour or 72-hour time points if your body doesn’t feel like eating more protein? when protein intake is moderate in amount, periodic, and spaced, continuous high-protein feedings can induce a chronic low-grade metabolic acidosis. Recent research suggests that skipping protein meals from time-to-time to allow the body to equilibrate, as with my method of structured fasting, would be better.

But there’s yet another nuance to consider. Remember that getting big muscles is one thing, but you don’t want that big gut as well. To me, bodybuilding is as much about abdominal development as it is about biceps and quads. I mean what’s the point of having great pectoral development when just below it is a beach ball? Just like you should be tuned in to listening to your body when it comes to your training, you should also be acutely clued in to how your body is responding to your diet. When your body is forced to process heavy amounts of protein it’s telling you it doesn’t want, the most logical outcome is a buildup of body fat. Don’t kid yourself, excess protein can be stored as fat. Albeit energetically unfavorable, when the body is put in a position of being forced to process calories it isn’t calling for, the destination is body fat.

All things taken together, I think the take-home message here is to listen to your body and give it a break now and then from all that protein. By skipping the occasional protein meal, not only will you not lose muscle, you may actually stimulate new gains! - FLEX

Carlon Colker, M.D., F.A.C.N.
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

animal87 is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 390
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      is eating doughnuts in the squat
      rack

I am:
      Crazy

Level

Default Re: Too Much Protein Limits Gains?!

I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig for this next week. From my pathetic diet this week.
      Animal the manimal

Hy-Maint is offline Vixen
      Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 60
      Overall activity: 3.0%
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      is a wolf in sheeps clothing

I am:
      ----

Level

This is super interesting to me because I was just telling a friend the other day that I have noticed I am kinda getting a gut and the only variable has been my diet- higher protein and low fat.
      [SIZE=3]Keep your gifts; I'll work for mine. [/SIZE]

guns01 is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      Overall activity: 99.9%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      Awards:
      Activity Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i am going to call major bull shit on this article right here plain and simple. granted baby1 doesnt need as much protein as i do but i completely disagree. maintaining a positive nitrogen balance in your body is essential to creating new muscle as well as maintaining new muscle. do you need to hammer excessive protein day in and day out? not necessarily but you do need to at a minimum on your days off hit your maintaince level.
      TGBSupplements REP

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

Use code 'Baby1' for $5 off your order

Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guns01 View Post
      i am going to call major bull shit on this article right here plain and simple. granted baby1 doesnt need as much protein as i do but i completely disagree. maintaining a positive nitrogen balance in your body is essential to creating new muscle as well as maintaining new muscle. do you need to hammer excessive protein day in and day out? not necessarily but you do need to at a minimum on your days off hit your maintaince level.

lol, YIKES, no crabbiness guns. This article had nothing to do with me personally or anyone else. It is just some info I came across. Can't wait to send you some baked goods
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

guns01 is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      Overall activity: 99.9%
      Achievements:
      Awards:
      Activity Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by BABY1 View Post
      lol, YIKES, no crabbiness guns. This article had nothing to do with me personally or anyone else. It is just some info I came across. Can't wait to send you some baked goods
      no it really isnt me having crabbyness issues and i wasnt pointing out directly at you. i was just using you and myself as an example being i probably out weigh you by 100-150lbs or so. logically their is no way on earth you would need to consume as much protein as i do even if i were only eating maintaince my daily intake would still be double or more than yours is. what got me fired up about it is this: it's like talking to a fat person or someone out of shape crying about not being in shape as they sit there and stuff their face with pizza, cakes, pies and ice cream. those are the same people that will make the comment that you dont need x amount of protein or consuming to much protein will make you fat or even my favorite one is your body can only use x amount at a time. the books say one thing but in reality through real life the books and studies arent even close to right for us animals.
      TGBSupplements REP

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

Use code 'Baby1' for $5 off your order

Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Yes you are right guns, one should not always believe everything they read. I am a firm believer inthings work differently for everyone no matter what it is
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

Trixie is offline Platinum Queen
      Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 369
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Too Much Protein Limits Gains?!
      Quote Originally Posted by guns01 View Post
      no it really isnt me having crabbyness issues and i wasnt pointing out directly at you. i was just using you and myself as an example being i probably out weigh you by 100-150lbs or so. logically their is no way on earth you would need to consume as much protein as i do even if i were only eating maintaince my daily intake would still be double or more than yours is. what got me fired up about it is this: it's like talking to a fat person or someone out of shape crying about not being in shape as they sit there and stuff their face with pizza, cakes, pies and ice cream. those are the same people that will make the comment that you dont need x amount of protein or consuming to much protein will make you fat or even my favorite one is your body can only use x amount at a time. the books say one thing but in reality through real life the books and studies arent even close to right for us animals.

~Trixie~

MOUNTAIN-MAN is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 5.0%
      is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Damn now I want cake bad pic so hungry