• Join Us!
  • glutamine i use alot here is some helpful info
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: glutamine i use alot here is some helpful info

MOUNTAIN-MAN is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 5.0%
      is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

Thumbs up glutamine i use alot here is some helpful info

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

i use an extra 20-30mgs ed
      Glutamine
      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      "Gln" redirects here. For other uses, see GLN (disambiguation).
      L-Glutamine
      Skeletal formula of the L-isomer
      Ball-and-stick model of the L-isomer as a zwitterion
      IUPAC name[hide]
      Glutamine
      Other names[hide]
      L-Glutamine
      (levo)glutamide
      2-Amino-4-carbamoylbutanoic acid
      Identifiers
      Abbreviations Gln, Q
      CAS number 56-85-9 Yes
      PubChem 738
      ChemSpider 718 Yes
      UNII 0RH81L854J Yes
      EC-number 200-292-1
      KEGG C00303 Yes
      ChEBI CHEBI:28300 Yes
      ChEMBL CHEMBL930
      IUPHAR ligand 723
      ATC code A16AA03
      Jmol-3D images Image 1
      SMILES
      [show]
      InChI
      [show]
      Properties[1]
      Molecular formula C5H10N2O3
      Molar mass 146.14 g mol−1
      Melting point decomposes around 185°C
      Solubility in water soluble
      Chiral rotation [α]D +6.5ş (H2O, c = 2)
      Supplementary data page
      Structure and
      properties n, εr, etc.
      Thermodynamic
      data Phase behaviour
      Solid, liquid, gas
      Spectral data UV, IR, NMR, MS
      Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C (77 °F), 100 kPa)
      (verify) (what is: Yes/?)
      Infobox references
      Glutamine (abbreviated as Gln or Q) is one of the 20 amino acids encoded by the standard genetic code. It is not recognized as an essential amino acid. Its side-chain is an amide formed by replacing the side-chain hydroxyl of glutamic acid with an amine functional group, making it the amide of glutamic acid. Its codons are CAA and CAG. In human blood, glutamine is the most abundant free amino acid, with a concentration of about 500–900 µmol/l.[2]

Contents [hide]
      1 Structure
      2 Functions
      2.1 Producing and consuming organs
      2.1.1 Producers
      2.1.2 Consumers
      2.2 Examples for the usage of glutamine
      2.2.1 Aiding recovery after surgery
      3 Nutrition
      3.1 Occurrences in nature
      3.1.1 Dietary sources
      4 See also
      5 References
      6 External links
      Structure[edit]

Glutamine zwitterionic forms at neutral pH: L-glutamine (left) and D-glutamine
      Functions[edit]
      Glutamine plays a role in a variety of biochemical functions:

Protein synthesis, as any other of the 20 proteinogenic amino acids
      Regulation of acid-base balance in the kidney by producing ammonium[3]
      Cellular energy, as a source, next to glucose[4]
      Nitrogen donation for many anabolic processes, including the synthesis of purines[2]
      Carbon donation, as a source, refilling the citric acid cycle[5]
      Nontoxic transporter of ammonia in the blood circulation
      Producing and consuming organs[edit]
      Producers[edit]
      Glutamine is synthesized by the enzyme glutamine synthetase from glutamate and ammonia. The most relevant glutamine-producing tissue is the muscle mass, accounting for about 90% of all glutamine synthesized. Glutamine is also released, in small amounts, by the lung and the brain.[6] Although the liver is capable of relevant glutamine synthesis, its role in glutamine metabolism is more regulatory than producing, since the liver takes up large amounts of glutamine derived from the gut.[2]

Consumers[edit]
      The most eager consumers of glutamine are the cells of intestines,[2] the kidney cells for the acid-base balance, activated immune cells,[7] and many cancer cells.[5] In respect to the last point mentioned, different glutamine analogues, such as DON, Azaserine or Acivicin, are tested as anticancer drugs.

Examples for the usage of glutamine[edit]
      In catabolic states of injury and illness, glutamine becomes conditionally essential (requiring intake from food or supplements).[8] Glutamine has been studied extensively over the past 10–15 years, and has been shown to be useful in treatment of injuries, trauma, burns, and treatment-related side effects of cancer, as well as in wound healing for postoperative patients. Glutamine is also marketed as a supplement used for muscle growth in weightlifting, bodybuilding, endurance, and other sports. Evidence indicates glutamine, when orally loaded, may increase plasma HGH levels by stimulating the anterior pituitary gland.[9] In biological research, L-glutamine is commonly added to the media in cell culture.[10][11] However, the high level of glutamine in the culture media may inhibit other amino acid transport activities.[12]

Aiding recovery after surgery[edit]
      Glutamine is also known to have various side effects in reducing healing time after operations. Hospital-stay times after abdominal surgery can be reduced by providing parenteral nutrition regimens containing high amounts of glutamine to patients. Clinical trials have revealed patients on supplementation regimens containing glutamine have improved nitrogen balances, generation of cysteinyl-leukotrienes from polymorphonuclear neutrophil granulocytes, and improved lymphocyte recovery and intestinal permeability (in postoperative patients), in comparison to those that have no glutamine within their dietary regimen, all without any side effects.[13]

Nutrition[edit]
      Occurrences in nature[edit]
      Glutamine is the most abundant naturally occurring, nonessential amino acid in the human body, and one of the few amino acids that can directly cross the blood–brain barrier.[14] In the body, it is found circulating in the blood, as well as stored in the skeletal muscles. It becomes conditionally essential (requiring intake from food or supplements) in states of illness or injury.[8]

Dietary sources[edit]
      Dietary sources of L-glutamine include beef, chicken, fish, eggs, milk, dairy products, wheat, cabbage, beets, beans, spinach, and parsley. Small amounts of free L-glutamine are also found in vegetable juices.[8]

See also[edit]
      Isoglutamine

is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

Default Re: glutamine i use alot here is some helpful info

Glutamine is an amino acid (a building block for proteins), found naturally in the body.

Glutamine is used to counter some of the side effects of medical treatments. For example, it is used for side effects of cancer chemotherapy including diarrhea, pain and swelling inside the mouth (mucositis), nerve pain (neuropathy), and muscle and joint pains caused by the cancer drug Taxol. Glutamine is also used to protect the immune system and digestive system in people undergoing radiochemotherapy for cancer of the esophagus. Additionally, glutamine is used for improving recovery after bone marrow transplant or bowel surgery, increasing well-being in people who have suffered traumatic injuries, and preventing infections in critically ill people.

Some people use glutamine for digestive system conditions such as stomach ulcers, ulcerative colitis, and Crohn’s disease. It is also used for depression, moodiness, irritability, anxiety, insomnia, and enhancing exercise performance.

People who have HIV (AIDS) sometimes use glutamine to prevent weight loss (HIV wasting).

Glutamine is also used for attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), a urinary condition called cystinuria, sickle cellanemia, and for alcohol withdrawal support.

Glutamine powder can be ordered through most wholesale drug suppliers. Glutamine for commercial use is made by a fermentation process using bacteria that produce glutamine.

How does it work?
      Glutamine is the most abundant free amino acid in the body. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Glutamine is produced in the muscles and is distributed by the blood to the organs that need it. Glutamine might help gut function, the immune system, and other essential processes in the body, especially in times of stress. It is also important for providing "fuel" (nitrogen and carbon) to many different cells in the body. Glutamine is needed to make other chemicals in the body such as other amino acids and glucose (sugar).

After surgery or traumatic injury, nitrogen is necessary to repair the wounds and keep the vital organs functioning. About one third of this nitrogen comes from glutamine.

If the body uses more glutamine than the muscles can make (i.e., during times of stress), muscle wasting can occur. This can occur in people with HIV/AIDS. Taking glutamine supplements might keep the glutamine stores up.

Some types of chemotherapy can reduce the levels of glutamine in the body. Glutamine treatment is thought to help prevent chemotherapy-related damage by maintaining the life of the affected tissues.

is Over the peek

I am:
      Amused

Level

Default Re: glutamine i use alot here is some helpful info

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Overview

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid (building block of protein) in the body. The body can make enough glutamine for its regular needs, but extreme stress (the kind you would experience after very heavy exercise or an injury), your body may need more glutamine than it can make. Most glutamine is stored in muscles followed by the lungs, where much of the glutamine is made.

Glutamine is important for removing excess ammonia (a common waste product in the body). It also helps your immune system function and appears to be needed for normal brain function and digestion.

You can usually get enough glutamine without taking a supplement, because your body makes it and you get some in your diet. Certain medical conditions, including injuries, surgery, infections, and prolonged stress, can lower glutamine levels, however. In these cases, taking a glutamine supplement may be helpful.

Uses

Woundhealing and recovery from illness

When the body is stressed (from injuries, infections, burns, trauma, or surgical procedures), it releases the hormone cortisol into the bloodstream. High levels of cortisol can lower your body’s stores of glutamine. Several studies show that adding glutamine to enteral nutrition (tube feeding) helps reduce the rate of death in trauma and critically ill people. Clinical studies have found that glutamine supplements strengthen the immune system and reduce infections (particularly infections associated with surgery). Glutamine supplements may also help in the recovery of severe burns.

Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)

Glutamine helps to protect the lining of the gastrointestinal tract known as the mucosa. For that reason, some have suggested that people who have inflammatory bowel disease (ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease) may not have enough glutamine. However, 2 clinical trials found that taking glutamine supplements did not improve symptoms of Crohn’s disease. More research is needed. In the meantime, ask your doctor when deciding whether to use glutamine for IBD.

HIV/AIDS

People with HIV or AIDS often experience severe weight loss (particularly loss of muscle mass). A few studies of people with HIV and AIDS have found that taking glutamine supplements, along with other important nutrients including vitamins C and E, beta-carotene, selenium, and N-acetylcysteine, may increase weight gain and help the intestines better absorb nutrients.

Athletes

Athletes who train for endurance events (like marathons) may reduce the amount of glutamine in their bodies. It’s common for them to catch a cold after an athletic event. Some experts think that may be because of the role glutamine plays in the immune system. For this select group of athletes, one study showed that taking glutamine supplements resulted in fewer infections. The same is not true, however, for exercisers who work out at a moderate intensity.

Cancer

Many people with cancer have low levels of glutamine. For this reason, some researchers speculate that glutamine may be helpful when added to conventional cancer treatment for some people. Supplemental glutamine is often given to malnourished cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments and sometimes used in patients undergoing bone marrow transplants. (See Interactions below.)

Glutamine seems to help reduce stomatitis (an inflammation of the mouth) caused by chemotherapy. Some studies, but not all, have suggested that taking glutamine orally may help reduce diarrhea associated with chemotherapy.

More clinical research is needed to know whether glutamine is safe or effective to use as part of the treatment regimen for cancer.

Dietary Sources

Dietary sources of glutamine include plant and animal proteins such as beef, pork and poultry, milk, yogurt, ricotta cheese, cottage cheese, raw spinach, raw parsley, and cabbage.

Available Forms

Glutamine, usually in the form of L-glutamine, is available by itself or as part of a protein supplement. These come in powder, capsule, tablet, or liquid form.

Standard preparations are typically available in 500 mg tablets or capsules.

How to Take It

Take glutamine with cold or room temperature foods or liquids. It should not be added to hot beverages because heat destroys glutamine.

Pediatric

For children 10 years and younger: Do not give glutamine to a child unless your doctor recommends it as part of a complete amino acid supplement.

Adult

For adults ages 18 and older: Doses of 500, 1 - 3 times daily, are generally considered safe. Doses as high as 5,000 - 15,000 mg daily (in divided doses), or sometimes higher, may be prescribed by a health care provider for certain conditions.

Precautions

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, you should take dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.

Glutamine appears to be safe in doses up to 14 g or higher per day, but you should only take doses this high under the supervision of a health care provider.

Glutamine powder should not be added to hot beverages because heat destroys this amino acid. Glutamine supplements should also be kept in a dry location.

People with kidney disease, liver disease, or Reye syndrome (a rare, sometimes fatal disease of childhood that is generally associated with aspirin use) should not take glutamine.

Many elderly people have decreased kidney function and may need to reduce the dose of glutamine.

Glutamine is different from glutamate (glutamic acid), monosodium glutamate, and gluten. Glutamine should not cause symptoms (headaches, facial pressure, tingling, or burning sensation) associated with sensitivity to monosodium glutamate. People who are gluten sensitive can use glutamine without problems. However, some people may be sensitive to glutamine, which is completely separate from gluten.

Possible Interactions

If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use glutamine supplements without first talking to your health care provider.

Cancer therapy -- Some people suggest that glutamine may increase the effectiveness and reduce the side effects of chemotherapy treatments with doxorubicin, methotrexate, and 5-fluorouracil in people with colon cancer. Preliminary clinical studies suggest that glutamine supplements may prevent nerve damage associated with a medication called paclitaxel, used for breast and other types of cancers.

However, laboratory studies suggest that glutamine may actually stimulate growth of tumors. Much more research is needed before it is known whether it is safe to use glutamine if you have cancer. If you are receiving chemotherapy, you should never add supplements to your regimen without consulting your physician.