• Join Us!
  • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
  • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
  • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
  • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
  • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
  • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Cottonseed Oil Dangers

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Cottonseed Oil Dangers

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers

• Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      Cottonseed oil is a popular vegetable oil, which is extracted from cotton seeds. Cottonseed oil is mainly extracted from two species of cotton - Gossypium hirsutum and Gossypium herbaceum. After soy, corn and canola (or rapeseed), cotton is the fourth genetically modified crop for the extraction of oil. In the United States, this is a commonly used oil. It is also a very popular component in various prepackaged foodstuffs. This oil is inexpensive and has a longer shelf life than most cooking oils. It is used as a salad oil, in mayonnaise and salad dressings. There are also certain ill effects of using this cooking oil.

Dangers of Cottonseed Oil

Even though cottonseed oil is a popular alternative for cooking as this oil does not turn rancid due to ts long shelf life, it also has some drawbacks. It is mildly inflammatory in nature and also has some components which may prove harmful to health.

Natural Toxin
      According to many nutritionists, cottonseed contains some natural toxins. One such naturally occurring toxin present in the cottonseed is gossypol. This toxin is produced in the seeds and which helps the plant against the infestation of insects. This toxin is used as a component in male contraceptives in China. It can cause a series of reactions in men who suffer from a deficiency of potassium. Gossypol tends to decrease the motility of the sperms and interferes with spermatogenesis. This condition can prove detrimental to men's fertility. The presence of gossypol in the body tends to interfere with the metabolism of potassium and can be a causative factor for paralysis among men who have a low intake of potassium in their diet.

Fat Profile
      Another danger is that it has a high content of saturated fats. Cottonseed oil also contains very low levels of monounsaturated fats and heart healthy omega 3 fatty acids. These saturated fats tend to increase the levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) or bad cholesterol in the body. Continuous use can lead to many cardiovascular diseases like blockage of arteries (atherosclerosis), heart attacks and angina etc. Cottonseed also contains more than fifty percent of omega 6 fatty acids which may lead to the deficiency of omega 3 essential fatty acids. The oil undergoes the process of hydrogenation which creates trans fats, which can raise the levels of serum cholesterol.

Allergic Reactions
      Since there is a similarity in the molecular structures of the composition of cottonseed and peanut oil, people who are allergic to gluten or peanuts also suffer from the same allergic reactions after consuming cottonseed oil. Rashes, itching or burning sensation and swelling can be triggered due to an allergy. In extreme cases, the individual may experience breathlessness, scratchy throat and heavy chest.

Genetic Modification
      In order to extract oil from cottonseed, these seeds have to be modified genetically. The cotton plants are crossbred with super weeds that are a wild species of weeds. This crossbreed of cotton plants is resistant to infestation of weevils and other insects. These plants also require dangerous herbicides that may be hazardous for human consumption. These herbicides reverse the effect of antibiotics and make diseases like tuberculosis and sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea difficult to treat.

Pesticides
      Since cotton is not a food crop, many harmful pesticides are sprayed to protect the crop. These pesticides are composed of harmful toxins like cyanide, propargite, dicofol, trifluralin and naled which are carcinogenic in nature. These pesticides seep into the cotton seeds and when oil is extracted from these seeds some amount of toxins gets mixed. Using such an oil for consumption can trigger the development of cancerous cells and make an individual more prone to different types of cancer.

In order to reduce the dangers caused due to this oil, one can use alternatives like organic canola oil, olive oil and soybean oil that are more healthier and safer for consumption than cottonseed oil
      Read more at Buzzle: Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

Flyingfox is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
      Overall activity: 2.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Cottonseed Oil Dangers

Interesting article, seems to be mainly about consumption. Not sure if the trace amounts found in injectable would do any harm. I would be more concerned with contaminated Raws from chemical manufacturers who produce our raw materials. These raw materials do not face the same scrutiny as pharmaceutical companies.

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingfox View Post
      Interesting article, seems to be mainly about consumption. Not sure if the trace amounts found in injectable would do any harm. I would be more concerned with contaminated Raws from chemical manufacturers who produce our raw materials. These raw materials do not face the same scrutiny as pharmaceutical companies.

Guess it would depend on one's sensitivity to things.
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

6p6 is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 29.0%
      is armed and ready...R U?

I am:
      Wtf

Level

Lately I've been getting very sensitive to my injections...wonder if cottonseed is reason

suprfast is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Wtf

Level

Quote Originally Posted by 6p6 View Post
      Lately I've been getting very sensitive to my injections...wonder if cottonseed is reason
      I had the same issue with gso. Wonder if the body just says I need a change.

Little BamBam is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 207
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers

• Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      • Cottonseed Oil Dangers
      Great read I haven't had to much of any issues with any oils myself but good thing to know