• Join Us!
  • Body Building Boards
  • Body Building Boards
  • Body Building Boards
  • Body Building Boards
  • Body Building Boards
  • Body Building Boards
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Body Building Boards

TexSon is offline *BANNED*
      Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 218
      Overall activity: 53.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Body Building Boards

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards

• Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      Dzone's thread elsewhere prompted me to start this one.

In his thread, Dzone talked about how nice FG is compared to so many other boards...the drama, the flaming, arguing, board politics, the obnoxious little cliques ...all elements that seem to be absent here at fitnessgeared. And I agree, and actually told Fuzo as much just a few days ago. In terms of fitness discussion boards, FG ranks high. Nice features, well thought out, excellent content and format...but most of all, great people.

It is also why I came back sooner than what I planned...I missed the place and the people.

So, anyway...read through the thread, listening to everyone's comments, and then reflected on my own thoughts about the countless boards I have been a member of the many years I have been doing this. These were some of my thoughts:

For people like me, the gym is a big part of their life. I typically spend about 900 hours a year there, so for me, it's more than a pastime activity, it’s a way of life. It’s what I do. But for me, gym time is a solitary thing. I put on the head phones and tend to the business at hand, and then I'm gone. I take my workouts seriously and I really don’t want to be bothered while working out. I'd rather be left alone and lost to my own thoughts. Still, I will take the time to answer the occasional question (how do you get your traps so big?"). But aside from that and the locker room small talk, working out is anything BUT a social event for me. And that is where the boards take on an important role. They allow me to enjoy the ccamaraderie that I don't have time for in the gym - in the comfort of my own home, no less.

But a board is different things for different people.

The Newbie

For the person just starting out, a discussion board is an invaluable resource. Better than any magazine or book they can buy. The board is full of excellent expert knowledge from people with first hand experience. People that are more than willing to take the time and patience necessary to nurture the newcomer. I, myself, will go to extraordinary lengths to help someone such as the guy who started the 'anavar only cycle' thread....a newbie. I clown around a lot, but this is something I regard with a sobering seriousness. In my time, I have met way too many people permanently maimed from jumping into this with an inadequate knowledge and understanding. People who, in the locker room, look like bizarre zebras because of all the freezer meat red stretch marks all over their body - the product of eating handfuls of anadrol without restraint or guidance. Or people with permanently disfigured biceps and quadriceps from massive runaway abscesses - people who suffer serious medical and physical ailments from having started steroid use at too early an age.
      Besides, newbies can be entertaining (can I inject syno pellets into the head of my penis with a lawn dart, and will there be any discomfort afterwards?).

The Veteran

For people like me, there is nothing new under the sun about body building. You move heavy shit with different body parts, you take in the right calories in the right amounts and times, and you use the chemistry effectively. There is nothing really magic about it anymore - once you've learned it. And nothing much about the basics ever change. The methods used by the Venice Beach bunch 40-50 years ago still work today. Joe Wieders ancient workout bible (about the size of a phone book) is still relevant to this day. Raw eggs and the right red meat still work fine, and butt loads of cypionate will make you grow even if you don’t get the rest exactly right.

It's that simple. Peptides, HGH, paramount machines...protein metabolizers, Insulin as a nutrient transport....that’s fine. But you're never gonna get any bigger than my friend deadweight who spends his life lifting fema trailer axles, eats anything that doesn't eat him first, and has only enough intelligence to be able to correctly stick a needle into his thigh and push the plunger. So the new, trendy stuff is cool, but it doesn't make you bigger. It just gets you there a little faster, maybe.

So, what's the big draw for me and people like me? I like to keep up with what's new, sure - don't use it, but I do want to know what's out there just the same. But more than that, it is the people. Like I said, I very much enjoy the camaraderie and friendship. Some of the best friends I have known, I've met on these boards. I have even had 1 or 2 (alright, 3) serious relationships with women on them (don't EVER do that) as well. So yeah, it’s the friendships I form and the interesting people I meet - all of whom I share a common passion with.

But really, what makes a good board?

Well, a few things.

It has to be somewhat aesthetically pleasing since this is what first gets your attention and convinces you to take a closer look. In that regard, presentation is everything. Can you imagine a Ferrari Enzo with some shit brown primer paint job?

Next, it has to contain good information relative to its theme - in FG's case, fitness and steroids (chemically enhanced performance, if you prefer). And FG satisfy's this requirement nicely. Articles, stickies, threads, forums...its all there. Everything a member would need to know with in easy access. From beginner to advanced lifter and everything in between.

Then there are features, which are 'nice to have' items, but aren't essential. Aracades, chat rooms, contests...they are kind of cool, but completely unnecessary. One of the most successful and long lived boards I am a member of is, at first glance, completely unimpressive. No flash, no glamour, no sexy anything, really - very utilitarian and basic...yet the content is impeccable and the members stone cold hard core, so it thrives.

But when it is all said and done, and all other things being equal, what make a board work are the members themselves. The main contributors. It is these people that give the board its personality and atmosphere, and this counts for more than anything else. So if FG is a success, it is mainly due to you, the members of the board that post and contribute, and build camaraderie by chatting in the shout box. And don't forget the moderators. They play a significant role as well. And, of course, people like me that provide you with all those wonderful high quality, sometimes entertaining and always offensive posts.

In Summary

I've been a prevalent member on more boards than I care to remember over the years and in that time, I have seen them come, and I have seem them go. And what I've learned through it all is that even the best, most highly successful board’s can self destruct and go by the wayside. Chemicalsoldier for example, one of my all time favorites, was one of the most successful and popular boards around in terms of membership, activity, significant contributors, content, income...had it all. In fact, it was SO busy that the shout box was fairly useless. Would have needed 3 or 4 of them, really. But at some point in time, I don't know when because of my 3 year absence, it, too, went by the wayside. I log on now (its still around) and I find that I am the only one there...and the only one that’s BEEN there in a long, long time. It’s creepy. You can almost hear your voice echoing like in a canyon. And I look around and think, "christ! can you believe this?". But, it happens. All those incredible people gone...scattered in the wind. I have found a few of them here and there, but most are but a memory now. They are using different names, lost in small obscure boards and yet others are hidden away in private boards that offer membership through invitation only. I lost a lot of good friends by staying away so long, and I regret that.

Like I said, I dropped off the radar for a little more than 3 years. Then one day I was checking my email and I had received one of the automated whiney ass things FG (and other boards) send out saying “oh texson, we miss you sssssoooooo much…ppppplllllleeeeeaaaassssseeee come back. Ppppplllleeeeeaaaaassseeee”. One of those things. So, grabbed a tissue, dried my eye and posted the intro I did some months ago. Re-intro, actually. Been a member here for 4-5 years? I don’t know. Whatever. But one thing is for sure. I won’t leave the boards that way again.

But you have to give credit where credit is due, and that would be Fuzo and the effort he has made with FG. To appreciate what he has done with this board, you need only visit a few others and the difference becomes readily apparent. I've known Fuz for quite a while now and what I can say about him is that he doesn't change. He was a stand up, genuinely good person then, and he still is. Always a big asset to whatever board he was on. And for me personally, he's been a good friend.

But the thing I like best about the guy? He doesn't ban my ass.

That, and the fact that he owes me money.

Thanks Fuzo…you’re the best, man.

The Texson

Footnote:
      I know A LOT of people are gonna disagree with what I said about body building, but you know, I really don’t care (see above GIVE-A-F*CK-O-METER). No one’s opinion is gonna change how nicely I manage to grow. Besides, you can always call my post complain hotline. Operators are standing by.

sofargone561 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 535
      Overall activity: 10.0%
      Achievements:
      Got three FriendsFirst 1000 Experience Points
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Body Building Boards

lol i cant believe i just read all that. very true tho! glad you came back instead of running off like we thought you where going 2!
      I never meant to be better than anyone, I was just born that way. Its hard being a god amongst peasants!

Heavy Hitter is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 187
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      is Werever you go, there you are.

I am:
      Wtf

Level

Bro I don't know what you have heard. But I am on this board to pick up chicks. Good post dude.
      Squats make the world go round.

sensitivenips is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 98
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

holy heavens a handbag tex, i was just writing literally the same post verbatim. are you spying on me????

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Ok TEXson, you forgot about the bosslady!!!

Oh and can your signature get any bigger? IT is going to take up a whole page soon,lol
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

BigDawg is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      is entering beast mode

I am:
      Awesome

Level
      Blog Entries

Pretty much nailed it, nice
      You may not recognize your mom when you get home, I shaved her back.

I don't have an ego, i just love how awesome i am !!

TexSon is offline *BANNED*
      Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 218
      Overall activity: 53.0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards

• Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      • Body Building Boards
      Quote Originally Posted by baby1 View Post
      Oh and can your signature get any bigger? IT is going to take up a whole page soon,lol
      nag, nag, nag.....

i'm trying to catch up to BigDawg.