Dr. William Davis, a preventative cardiologist states:“Wheat is not the same as it was 50 years ago. It is 2 ½ feet shorter. The stockier plant can support a much heavier seed bed, and it grows much faster. It is not genetically modified; when a plant is genetically modified a gene is inserted or deleted. What has been done, is that the plant has been hybridized and crossbred to make it resistant to drought, fungi; and vastly increase the yield per acre. Agricultural geneticists have shown that wheat proteins undergo structural change with hybridization, and that the hybrid contains proteins that are found in neither parent plant. Thousands of “Frankengrains” have been created over the past 50 years, using extreme techniques, and their safety for human consumption has never been tested or questioned.
These extreme techniques include: generating new strains that involve processes such as: gamma irradiation, and using toxins such as azide (which is a deadly poison). You cannot avoid these strains by only eating organic whole wheat. This is because the organic plant is the same as the non-organic plants. It’s almost as if we’ve put lipstick on this thing and called it organic and therefore good. The truth is that it is hardly any better at all.
There is no question that whole wheat flour is better than white flour. However, that is like saying filtered cigarettes are better than non-filtered cigarettes. Taking something bad and replacing it with something less bad is still not good. Wheat makes us fat because it contains amylopectin A which is more efficiently converted to blood sugar than any other carbohydrate including table sugar. Two slices of whole wheat bread increase blood sugar to a higher level than a candy bar does! This spikes our insulin levels, and creates inflammation all over the body. Then your blood sugar dramatically drops in about 2 hours and you feel shaky, your brain is foggy, and you are starving. Then you reach for more
carbohydrates. This cycle repeats itself throughout the day. If you eliminate wheat from your diet, you are no longer hungry between meals, you have stopped the insulin spiking cycle, have cut out the appetite stimulant, and you lose weight very quickly. I have seen this with thousands of patients.
Wheat can trigger effects that you do not perceive. Small LDL (low density lipoportein) particles form when you’re eating lots of carbohydrates, and they are responsible for atherosclerotic plaquing, this in turn triggers heart disease and stroke. Even if you are a slender, vigorous, healthy person you are still triggering the formation of small LDL particles. Carbohydrates increase your blood sugar, which causes a process called glycation. This is the glucose modification of proteins. If I glycate the proteins in my eyes, I get cataracts. If I glycate the cartilage in my knees and hips I get arthritis. If I glycate the small LDL, I’m prone to atherosclerosis. By eating fair trade organically grown whole wheat bread that sounds so healthy you are repeatedly triggering high blood sugar and will wind up with more visceral fat. This is not just what I call the wheat belly/muffin top that is flopping up over the belt, it is also the fat around your internal organs. As visceral fat accumulates, your risk increases with diabetes, and heart disease.
Wheat is addictive: National Institutes of Health researchers showed that gluten derived polypeptides can cross the blood brain barrier and bind to opiate receptors in the brain. The new hybridized wheat has a much higher level of gluten in it than its original form. When you eat wheat you get a mild euphoria because of this. People can experience some difficult withdrawal symptoms for about 5 days when getting off wheat. Once you overcome the addiction to wheat your cravings subside, your calorie intake decreases, and your alertness and overall health improve.
NIH research shows that wheat stimulates appetite. It is no wonder that Americans are becoming fat from eating wheat.
Solutions to this would be to go back to using the heritage forms of wheat before they were hybridized, and restore it to its original organic form. For now just not eating wheat whether you are gluten sensitive or not.”