Kevin English, 3x Olympia 202 Showdown Champion, has formally announced that he will not be competing in the 2012 Olympia 212 Showdown. Citing an injury that has plagued him for years and recently gotten worse, English stated:

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be competing in the 2012 Olympia 212 Showdown.

I’ve always had problems with my knees due to years of wrestling. I have no cartilage, just bone on bone. When I was dieting for the New York Pro, my body was often dehydrated and depleted which lessened the cushioning between my joints.

During a leg workout a few weeks after the show, I felt a really sharp pain when squatting. I immediately put the weight down. My training partner and physical therapist, Dr. Michael Camp, was there to provide immediate assistance.

I trained lighter over the next few weeks and the pain was bearable, but still there. The injury eventually progressed into a partial patella tendon tear, so we began the rehab process without giving up on the Olympia.

This weekend, Dr. Camp and I decided that training for the Olympia Showdown was counterproductive to the healing process. I would not be able to do both effectively; therefore, I am talking time off to heal, with the support of my therapist, MetRx, MD, and nutritionist Fakhri Mubarak.

I would like to thank everyone the continued support. I AM NOT RETIRED. We are already looking at shows for 2013. I will still be at the 2012 Olympia, working the Met-Rx booth and excited to see the show and the greatest fans in the world.

English won the Olympia 202 Showdown title the last three years and was among the favorites going in to this year’s competition. The door is now open to crown a new champion…check back to MD for all the breaking OLYMPIA WEEKEND news!