• Join Us!
  • Dietary Management of Heartburn
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dietary Management of Heartburn

MrzDiva is offline Vixen
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      Awards:
      Frequent Poster
      is Pondering

I am:
      Down

Level

Default Dietary Management of Heartburn

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Dietary Management of Heartburn
      Heartburn (Acid Reflux) is a digestive problem: it has nothing to do with your heart. It occurs when small amounts of stomach acid accidentally rise up the esophagus (the food canal running from the mouth to the stomach) causing symptoms like a burning pain in the chest which rises towards the throat. Sufferers may even taste the fluid in the back of the mouth, and this is called acid indigestion. In many cases the pain and burning sensation is relatively mild, but sometimes is so severe that patients think they are experiencing a heart attack.

If heartburn symptoms are mild and occur only from time to time, usually you will be advised to make the following changes (indicated below) to your diet. The only way to find the right heartburn diet for you is to identify what triggers it in the first place. In cases of persistent heartburn, dietary improvements are not sufficient. So as well as advocating a digestion-friendly diet, your doctor is likely to recommend one or more of the following types of medication. Antacids to neutralize the acid in your stomach; H2 blockers or proton pump inhibitors to reduce acid production; or prokinetics to strengthen the lower esophageal sphincter and expedite stomach-emptying.

As a general rule, a high-fiber, low-fat diet is recommended. Check out the following diet tips to manage heartburn

Stop Eating Large Meals

A big meal distends the stomach and causes a rise in the production of stomach acid. Both these factors lead to an increased risk of heartburn. So opt for 4-6 small meals or snacks, and allow a maximum of 3 hours between eating. In addition, choose foods that are "easier on the stomach" and more more easily digested.

Avoid Acidic Food

Reduce your intake of very acidic foods by avoiding items such as: tomatoes, tomato-based sauces, citrus fruits, rhubarb, gooseberries, unripe fruit, vinegar and acidic pickles or relishes.

Cut Down On Fatty and Spicy Food

Fried or very fatty foods, including candy, encourage indigestion and should be avoided or eaten sparingly. So go easy on butter, mayo, sausages, salami, pate, meat pies, and full-fat cheese. The same applies to very spicy food such as: black pepper, chili peppers, curry, mustard and other hot spices, as well as raw onions and garlic.

Avoid Carbonated Drinks

Fizzy or carbonated soft drinks cause belching and upward pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), increasing the likelihood of heartburn. The best drinks include: water, herbal teas or diluted non-citrus fruit juices. Please also note that some soft drinks (eg. cocoa, coffee, orange juice) are not helpful for heartburn as they can over-relax the LES, thus encouraging the backward flow of acid from the stomach.

Eat More Fiber, Especially Soluble Fiber

Constipation can lead to extra strain on abdominal muscles and increase the risk of heartburn. To prevent constipation, eat more high-fiber foods such as: oats, apples, pears, dried apricots and vegetables. When increasing fiber intake it's also important to increase your water intake by at least 40 fl oz a day.

Reduce Alcohol Consumption

Alcohol is not helpful to heartburn for several reasons. So take steps to reduce your intake to one unit a day, or avoid it altogether. Alcohol is also a source of non-nutritious calories and can contribute to overweight.

If Overweight, Switch To A Healthy Weight Loss Diet

Obesity, especially excess fat on the chest and abdomen, is a common contributory factor to GERD and hiatal hernia, and therefore to heartburn. So if you are obese (BMI 30), take steps to normalize your weight and thus reduce your risk or symptoms of heartburn.

Other Digestive Tips

For digestive disorders like heartburn, some dietitians and alternative health experts recommend patients to eat (or cook with) digestion-friendly aromatic herbs like basil, camomile, caraway, dill, fennel, rosemary and thyme. They also recommend that you end each meal with a glass of herbal tea (eg. camomile, fennel) to reduce acidity and wind.

Safe foods for the acid reflux diet

Foods to be consumed in moderation on the acid reflux diet

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Re: Dietary Management of Heartburn

Thank You Diva. Acid reflux can really be bad. It is a very common problem with people. I tried apple cider vinegar but , oh man, thats some nasty tastin stuff. I dont get it too bad anymore and a tums is usually good enough

tilltheend is offline *BANNED*
      Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 78
      Overall activity: 15.8%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Heart burn can be a bother.

MrzDiva is offline Vixen
      Overall activity: 0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      Awards:
      Frequent Poster
      is Pondering

I am:
      Down

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I get really bad heartburn because of my stomach condition so I take medications for it. I wish all the natural stuff would work for me, but such is bad luck for me lol.