• Join Us!
  • All i have to say ....
  • All i have to say ....
  • All i have to say ....
  • All i have to say ....
  • All i have to say ....
  • All i have to say ....
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: All i have to say ....

CJWolf
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default All i have to say ....

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....

• All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....

CJWolf
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Jury finds 'windshield death' defendant guilty
      Thursday, June 26, 2003 Posted: 2:00 PM EDT (1800 GMT)

Chante Mallard reacts to the jury's verdict Thursday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VIDEO
      A Texas woman accused of hitting a man with her car and leaving him to die pleaded not guilty to murder charges. Affiliate KDFW reports.

PLAY VIDEO

A look at the gruesome case that has a woman motorist facing murder charges.

PLAY VIDEO

RELATED
      Court TV.com: Jury returns guilty verdicts

FORT WORTH, Texas (CNN) -- Jurors delivered two guilty verdicts Thursday against a former nurse's aide who hit a homeless man with her car, driving home with his mangled body lodged in the windshield and leaving him to die in her garage.

With unanimous verdicts reached in less than an hour, the jury determined Chante Jawan Mallard guilty of murder and tampering with evidence.

Mallard faces life in prison on the murder conviction and 10 years stemming from her guilty plea earlier this week on a separate charge of tampering with evidence. The sentencing phase was to start later Thursday, The Associated Press reported.

Mallard, 25, brimmed with tears when the judge read the verdicts. Earlier, she listened somberly, a slight tremble visible as her defense attorney and the prosecutor argued over whether she was guilty of murder or simply failing to secure medical help for Gregory Biggs, 37, the man she struck on the morning of October 26, 2001.

Mallard's legal team never disputed that she killed Gregory Biggs, 37, in the predawn hours of October 26, 2001, after a night of drinking, smoking pot and taking Ecstasy. But they said the death was an accident -- not murder.

In closing arguments, defense attorney **** Kearney told the jurors the prosecution had not made "a clear, convincing case for murder," claiming the state's witnesses "are not very credible.

"The act has to cause the death," Kearney said. "If failure to provide medical help caused the death, then they cannot prove murder. ... It was the failure to get medical help, not any act."

Examiners gave differing accounts
      Prosecutors said she should pay the price for taking a man's life and trying to hide it.

"She stole his life," prosecutor Richard Alpert said, pointing to Mallard as she sat solemnly next to her attorney. "She stole his hope of anyone else saving his life. That's murder."

The prosecution contended Biggs was moaning and could have survived if he had received immediate medical aid, and accuses Mallard of "indifference" in the hours after he was hit.

On Wednesday, the medical examiner for Tarrant County testified Gregory Biggs could have survived for hours before succumbing to his injuries after he was hit while walking along a highway.

According to Dr. Nizam Peerwani, Biggs had no "instantaneously fatal injuries. He did not have any spinal cord trauma, no brain trauma, no major cardiac lacerations or lacerations to the aorta or major blood vessels."

He had "serious injuries" but could have stayed alive for many hours, the doctor said. When he was hit, Biggs left leg was almost amputated, and his right arm, right upper thigh and right lower leg were broken.

Biggs' body was found October 27, 2001, dumped in a park.

However, Bexar County Medical Examiner Dr. Vincent Di Maio cast doubt on some aspects of the prosecution's case, saying the impact of the crash would have knocked Biggs unconscious, so he probably wasn't moaning.

Victim had been homeless, son testified
      Both the defense and prosecution agreed Mallard had been drinking and had taken drugs before the collision.

Prosecutor Christy Jack disputed the defense contention that Mallard was hysterical, saying she had "the wherewithal to lie to the police."

"She lied about ... the number of drinks she had, about the pot, and taking Ecstasy," Jack said during her closing argument. "She said someone put something in her drink."

Mallard kept the secret about Biggs for four months, Jack said, until a tip led police to her garage.

Earlier this week, the victim's son testified that the 37-year-old Gregory Biggs had been homeless about two years when he died.

Brandon Biggs said his father also suffered from mild schizophrenia and a bipolar psychiatric condition, which hampered his ability to work.

The judge has imposed a gag order in the case, preventing lawyers and family members from discussing it publicly.

Kristylynn is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 18
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Well I wonder why...
      Got Love?

Luftdude is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 424
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I tell ya, some people shouldn't have driver's licenses. This woman is one of them.
      RIP Gearedup and Marc. I'll see you at the crossroads someday guys

Zero to 60 in under 7 seconds. One, two, three, four, five, six, sev-that fast=AMC AMX ad from 1968

chris_93_jeep@msn.com

mod @ garageboard.com

Got Gear? is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 639
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I'm glad they stuck with the murder charge and got it..

But don't forget, this isn't over. It's got to be all done over again.. (appeal process)..

Stupid court system.. you shouldn't be able to appeal..
      RIP BigJim33 & GearedUp: You are sorely missed my friends.

Hindsight is always 20/20. But looking back it's still a bit fuzzy.

rude is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 14
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by Got Gear?
      I'm glad they stuck with the murder charge and got it..

But don't forget, this isn't over. It's got to be all done over again.. (appeal process)..

Stupid court system.. you shouldn't be able to appeal..
      Agreed
      "I plead with you to give your bodies to God. Let them be a sacrifice -- the kind he will accept. When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask"?
      ROMANS 12:1

THE JUICE
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....

• All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....
      • All i have to say ....