• Join Us!
  • Apple has stunning new find ...
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple has stunning new find ...

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default Apple has stunning new find ...

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Apple Inc. said Friday that it was "stunned" to find that its iPhones have for years been using a "totally wrong" formula to determine how many bars of signal strength they are getting.

Apple said that's the reason behind widespread complaints from users that the latest model, iPhone 4, can show a sudden plunge in signal strength when they hold it in a way that covers a small black strip on one edge of the phone. Users online have jokingly called this the "death grip" for the phone.

That drop seems exaggerated because the phone can wrongly display four or five bars of signal strength when it shouldn't, Apple said.

"Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place," the company said in a letter to users.

Apple launched the iPhone 4 on June 24 in the U.S. and four other countries.

Some outside engineers and users have blamed the iPhone 4's apparent reception problems on the novel design that incorporates its antenna into the case. But the company said that any phone will show reduced reception if held in a way that covers the antenna, usually mounted at the rear and bottom of a phone. It maintains that iPhone 4's wireless performance is better than previous models. And it said the incorrect signal-strength formula existed in the original iPhone, launched in 2007.

Apple, which is based in Cupertino, Calif., said it will fix its signal strength formula to conform to other AT&T phones through a free software update for iPhone models 3G, 3Gs and 4 within a few weeks.

"We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see," Apple said.

Despite recurring complaints about dropped calls and slow data service, particularly in the U.S., the iPhone is a standout success, with each model selling faster than the previous one. Apple said it sold 1.7 million iPhone 4s in its first three days, essentially running out of stock.

AT&T Inc., the exclusive iPhone carrier in the U.S., has faced much of the users' blame for dropped calls and poor wireless performance. Apple apologized to customers Friday "for any anxiety we may have caused."
      I work for AT&T and this will take a lot of pressure off of us if the phone has been causing the issues that our network has been blamed for.
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

millenium girl is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 19
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Apple has stunning new find ...

Quote Originally Posted by tn94z View Post
      I work for AT&T and this will take a lot of pressure off of us if the phone has been causing the issues that our network has been blamed for.
      I bet it will
      Did you already "play" with the new iPhone? Is it worth the money? I like Apple products, I'm considering buying an iPad!

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

I haven't played with it.. I don't work on the cell side. I work on Customer Premise Equipment. It's almost like 2 different companies.

But IMO, it's worth the money if you like surfing the net on your phone or really use the applications that you can get. The video conversation is pretty cool. I am just not really into all of that to be honest. I think it's cool, but I would rather just have the extra money a month.

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

JsJs24 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
      is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

I owned the 3GS but ATT was terrible. I left Verizon for them which was a big mistake. THe service was so bad that I ate the cost and switched back to Verizon buying a Droid. Wow! What a great phone, and yes, in my opinion it is a much better phone than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I loved the iPhone but it does not compare to the Google Droid. But if you don't use apps and internet that much I guess it doesn't make much of a difference. I use Linux open source software at work and home, which is what the Droid operates on. For those who don't know what I'm talking about it probably wont make a difference to you.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by JsJs24 View Post
      I owned the 3GS but ATT was terrible. I left Verizon for them which was a big mistake. THe service was so bad that I ate the cost and switched back to Verizon buying a Droid. Wow! What a great phone, and yes, in my opinion it is a much better phone than the iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I loved the iPhone but it does not compare to the Google Droid. But if you don't use apps and internet that much I guess it doesn't make much of a difference. I use Linux open source software at work and home, which is what the Droid operates on. For those who don't know what I'm talking about it probably wont make a difference to you.

You can run the Droid software on the Iphone along with the Iphone OS. You can't beat the Iphone for Apps...The whole ATT versus Verizon thing is region based. I can take you places in my area where the Verizon doesn't hold a candle in the wind to ATT. There must be something with it because they are estimating 3 million Verizon customers are going to leave and go to ATT in the 1st quarter of 2011.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

The reason Verizon can't have a phone that uses as much bandwidth as the Iphone is because their network can't handle the load.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I haven't played with it.. I don't work on the cell side. I work on Customer Premise Equipment. It's almost like 2 different companies.

But IMO, it's worth the money if you like surfing the net on your phone or really use the applications that you can get. The video conversation is pretty cool. I am just not really into all of that to be honest. I think it's cool, but I would rather just have the extra money a month.
      I hear you.

I have an iPhone 3G (not even the 3Gs) and I only use it to get and answer emails and sometimes (but very rarely) surf the net. I like the camera, it takes really good pics and also the iPod.

is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

You can run the Droid software on the Iphone along with the Iphone OS. You can't beat the Iphone for Apps...The whole ATT versus Verizon thing is region based. I can take you places in my area where the Verizon doesn't hold a candle in the wind to ATT. There must be something with it because they are estimating 3 million Verizon customers are going to leave and go to ATT in the 1st quarter of 2011.
      I travel all the time and it didn't matter where I was, I dropped calls all the time. With Verizon it just doesn't happen unless you're in the middle of nowhere, and even then its minimal. As for customers leaving Verizon, I heard it the other way around because Apple is supposed to offer the iPhone to Verizon. Is that no longer in the works? I never heard that you can add the android os to iPhone, if so that is worth looking into. Otherwise, Android will have more apps eventually because of the Linux freeware. It is just a fact that more people use Linux, especially the type that create apps. But if the two are combined on the iPhone that would be the best.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.

is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

The reason Verizon can't have a phone that uses as much bandwidth as the Iphone is because their network can't handle the load.
      I hope you're not insinuating that ATT has a better network. That is just not the case. Everyone I know that has an iPhone, including myself complains of dropped calls. I have had them both, and did not want to get rid of my iPhone but my phone is also my work phone so I can't have calls dropping like they were. Now the problem is solved. And once again, I travel a LOT! As for the iPhone, I loved it, but the Droid for me has been a better phone. They are both great but for what I use it for it is better for me.

IronpumpedLady is offline Vixen
      Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 55
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

I don't have good phone service, so I'm thinking I'll go back to Verizon with another fone and get an iPad for what I use my iPhone to do!! Only thing is my iPhone's camera and video is sure handy!

Stay Strong~~!!!
      IPL

rc10j1 is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 53
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Verizon is getting an iPhone next year
      They call you paranoid until the worst happens, and in the aftermath they will call you a hero.

IronpumpedLady is offline Vixen
      Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 55
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Really?!! The contract they have with AT&T will be no more? Ihad way better reception with verizon them AT&T~!!!

Stay Strong~~!!!
      IPL

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by IronpumpedLady View Post
      I don't have good phone service, so I'm thinking I'll go back to Verizon with another fone and get an iPad for what I use my iPhone to do!! Only thing is my iPhone's camera and video is sure handy!

Stay Strong~~!!!
      IPL
      I'm considering buying an iPad to replace the laptop that was stolen in April.
      I hear you, IPL, the iPhone takes great pics!

rc10j1 is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 53
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by IronpumpedLady View Post
      Really?!! The contract they have with AT&T will be no more? Ihad way better reception with verizon them AT&T~!!!

Stay Strong~~!!!
      IPL
      Yes I read apple is already designing them. When their exclusive contract expires with AT&T they are going to build them
      They call you paranoid until the worst happens, and in the aftermath they will call you a hero.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I travel all the time and it didn't matter where I was, I dropped calls all the time. With Verizon it just doesn't happen unless you're in the middle of nowhere, and even then its minimal. As for customers leaving Verizon, I heard it the other way around because Apple is supposed to offer the iPhone to Verizon. Is that no longer in the works? I never heard that you can add the android os to iPhone, if so that is worth looking into. Otherwise, Android will have more apps eventually because of the Linux freeware. It is just a fact that more people use Linux, especially the type that create apps. But if the two are combined on the iPhone that would be the best.
      As do I. I have stood side by side on many different golf courses with a a buddy that has Verizon...he wouldn't have signal, I would. I NEVER drop calls on AT&T in my area. I was talking to a guy last night (the guy that bought my laptop) and he said that he left Verizon because he got better coverage with AT&T...he lives in Middle TN and is a web developer that travels. The only problems that he said he has is in very rural areas, Verizon is a little better. He said in the cities there was no comparison. I have heard nothing about a Verizon Iphone...what I have heard is that Verizon's network is not big enough to handle the bandwidth that the Iphone produces. I heard this from a Verizon dealer when I had thought about switching. Google the Droid software running on Iphone or something like that.

I hope you're not insinuating that ATT has a better network. That is just not the case. Everyone I know that has an iPhone, including myself complains of dropped calls. I have had them both, and did not want to get rid of my iPhone but my phone is also my work phone so I can't have calls dropping like they were. Now the problem is solved. And once again, I travel a LOT! As for the iPhone, I loved it, but the Droid for me has been a better phone. They are both great but for what I use it for it is better for me.

See and here it is the other way around. In the hospital I work in, they have a contract with Verizon and Verizon came and installed antennas throughout the hospital to get the coverage. AT&T is now working on getting their antennas in here as well. I have a number of nuses per day come up to me and ask when AT&T will get service in the hospital because they are having Verizon issues and want to switch, but they don't want to switch until AT&T gets in the hospital. So I have a pretty good test bed here with thousands of people and the overall response is that AT&T is better. Since I have been working with AT&T, I have traveled all over the south east and have never had dropped call issues. Now everyone knows that the Iphone "design" causes dropped calls. It has been like this since day 1. So, AT&T gets blamed. The same issues will arise if the phones are not fixed and Verizon gets an Iphone.

Quote Originally Posted by rc10j1 View Post
      Verizon is getting an iPhone next year
      Quote Originally Posted by rc10j1 View Post
      Yes I read apple is already designing them. When their exclusive contract expires with AT&T they are going to build them
      I haven't heard anything about this, but if it's true then that's good. This will show that the phones have been the issue and not the network.

If AT&T is so bad, why did Verizon get sued over lying about their coverage?