• Join Us!
  • Need a new face?
  • Need a new face?
  • Need a new face?
  • Need a new face?
  • Need a new face?
  • Need a new face?
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Need a new face?

NATE is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 103
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Need a new face?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?

• Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      https://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/12/01...ace/index.html

'Face transplant' sparks concerns

Thursday, December 1, 2005; Posted: 6:25 a.m. EST (11:25 GMT)

(CNN) -- Medical experts have expressed delight but some concern after doctors in France said had performed the first partial face transplant on a woman who had suffered extensive injuries in a dog attack.

A joint statement from hospitals in Lyon and Amiens in northern France said on Wednesday the surgery took place Sunday in Amiens on a 38-year-old woman, replacing her nose, lips and chin.

The woman was in "excellent" condition and that the transplanted organs look "normal," the statement said. She wants to remain anonymous, it added.

Consultant facial surgeon Iain Hutchison at Barts, who is chief executive of Saving Faces, the Facial Surgery Research Foundation, said while all medical advances are to be celebrated, the operation threw up many moral and ethical issues.

"This was a quality of life operation rather than a life-saving operation and has many implications for the recipient and donor's families," he told the Press Association.

"The recipient chose to take the risk of the operation failing if the blood vessels become blocked. There's a medium-term risk of the immunosuppressant drugs failing to control rejection of the donor tissue, and a long-term risk of the drugs causing cancers.

"She could be back to square one without a face, needing further reconstruction operations."

Medics have been concerned over whether the side-effects of the the immunosuppression drugs, which patients must take for the rest of their lives, would outweigh the benefits.

The drugs can increase the risk of cancer. Concerns have also been raised over the psychological impact on the patient if the surgery failed.

Medical experts have cautiously welcomed the pioneering surgery but warned that more research was needed into the long-term risks and the ethical issues.

Peter Butler, consultant plastic surgeon at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, north London, has led one of four teams worldwide which have been working towards carrying out the procedure.

Butler, who has been researching the psychological impact, welcomed the news.

"It is a great step forward for European science and medicine," he told the Press Association.

He said he hoped to be able to carry out the procedure in the UK within two years.

Brendan Eley, Chief Executive of the Healing Foundation, said: "Facial transplantation is a very exciting and fast-developing area of modern surgery, offering some hope to a small number of people who survive very serious disfiguring conditions.

"Though the surgical techniques to perform these operations are well established, the Healing Foundation would like to see further research, especially into the issues of immunosuppression and the psychological aspects, before advocating the procedure more widely."

Dr. Daniel Sokol, Researcher in Medical Ethics, Imperial College, said the main ethical issue was one of informed consent.

"Did the patient give adequately informed consent to the procedure? Did she understand the risks and implications of the transplant?

"If the answer to these questions is 'yes,' and I see no obvious reason why it should be otherwise, then all those involved should be congratulated for their skill and courage."

World's first

Dr. Jean-Michel Dubernard, one of the surgeons who performed the transplant at Amiens University Hospital, told The Associated Press the transplant was the world's first of its kind.

But "we still don't know when the patient will get out," he said. He refused to give any more details until a news conference on Friday at 1 p.m. in Lyon.

The grafted tissue came from another woman who had been declared brain-dead, with the consent of her family, the statement said.

Various organs were also donated from the deceased woman for other patients.

The statement said the woman who received the partial facial transplant had "lesions that were extremely difficult and nearly impossible to repair using standard facial surgery methods."

Doctors from CHU Amiens and a team from CHU Lyon participated in the procedure, the statement said.

Similar procedures have been discussed by British and American doctors, but because of ethical concerns they have not been approved.

However, an internal review board at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio has approved a future full facial transplant that would be performed by Dr. Maria Siemionow, a leading expert in microsurgery, according to an official with the clinic.

It's the only U.S. institution that has the approval of its internal review board to do the procedure.

No other approval is needed for the operation to go forward, but the clinic has not yet found a suitable patient, the official said.

Such an operation would be conducted only on severely disfigured patients, the official said, most likely on burn victims, because those patients usually still have their bone structure and musculature in place.

The procedure should not be considered elective, the official said.

Officials with the Cleveland Clinic and the University of Louisville (Kentucky) -- which has also been researching such a procedure -- would not comment on the French operation, saying that they didn't know enough about it.

Scientists have previously performed scalp and ear transplants but experts say the mouth and nose are the most difficult parts of the face to transplant.

The woman will not look identical to her donor even once the swelling has gone down. Her appearance will be somewhere between her original face and the face of the donor.

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Need a new face?

Interesting! I wonder how long until the face surgery becomes as good as the movie "Face Off?"
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention that movie....

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

that was the first thing that came to mind

mick-G is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Just saw that on Discovery last night, but they will only be performing it on extreame burn victims or ppl with very bad disfigurements. They are nowheres near doing replacement surgeries that are plastic surgery quality. Another words you won't be able to get something changed and look like nothings been done. Their just not that far along in the perfection of it.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by mick-G
      Just saw that on Discovery last night, but they will only be performing it on extreame burn victims or ppl with very bad disfigurements. They are nowheres near doing replacement surgeries that are plastic surgery quality. Another words you won't be able to get something changed and look like nothings been done. Their just not that far along in the perfection of it.
      The faker we as people get, the closer they are to making it a reality

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Yes, this is true... They said thou that even if the person gets a different face, the face they get after transplantation will not look like that of the cadavor, because of the uderlying structure of the persons face is not the same as that of the cadavors, and also they are not transplanting the bone or actual parts of the face, rather the skin only and applying it to you patients. So in the far future if say you want to look like ******you will still have to rely on the surgeon skills at plastics to make you look the best.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by mick-G
      Yes, this is true... They said thou that even if the person gets a different face, the face they get after transplantation will not look like that of the cadavor, because of the uderlying structure of the persons face is not the same as that of the cadavors, and also they are not transplanting the bone or actual parts of the face, rather the skin only and applying it to you patients. So in the far future if say you want to look like ******you will still have to rely on the surgeon skills at plastics to make you look the best.
      good call mick! you get rep!

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Lol, i just saw the Discovery about it last night thats where i got the info, but im sure in time they will be transplanting actual sturctures of the face. Their using cartilage and bone graphs now so im sure they will some day be replacing the whole part. sounds kinda Frankenstienish, but i guess it will prob help alot of ppl born with deformaties and from accidents.

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

You guys ever see "I Want a Famous Face" on MTV (I think that is what it was called)? The people never ended up looking like the celebrities. It was a waste of time! Some people ended up looking uglier!!!
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

Evil Ryu
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by supasaiyan99
      You guys ever see "I Want a Famous Face" on MTV (I think that is what it was called)? The people never ended up looking like the celebrities. It was a waste of time! Some people ended up looking uglier!!!
      I agree with you sup.You know what celebrities aren't even that good looking in person. I saw mandy moore once at a local mall when I used to work at gap and shes pretty nasty and i bet you most of them are like that. I say be happy with what god and your parents gave you. There are more important things in life.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?

• Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      • Need a new face?
      What they are talking about is only going to be done on very disfigured patients, like burn victims, and deformaties from birth or after. There is only one surgeon in the US right now that has approval from the FDA to do a whole face transplant, and they are now looking for eligable candidates. Actually they should call it a "skin face" transplant, because saying "face transplant" infers that they are replacing bone structure and the actual parts of the face, which they are not. Only the skin.