• Join Us!
  • ......poll Time......
  • ......poll Time......
  • ......poll Time......
  • ......poll Time......
  • ......poll Time......
  • ......poll Time......
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Post workout carb poll...........

Voters
    18. You may not vote on this poll
    • Simple carbs/sugars -- dextrose/malto

11 61.11%
    • Complex carbs -- oats, rice, etc.

4 22.22%
    • anything in the fridge

2 11.11%
    • I dont workout

1 5.56%
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ......poll Time......

Shear_Madness is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 190
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default ......poll Time......

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......

• ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      I want to see results of who uses simple carbs post workout such as dextrose/malto, or complex carbs such as oats or rice, while trying to stay lean.

ephedra
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

i am a big supporter of simple carbs. they burn off fast and help refill muscles fast

Jyzza is offline FG VET
      Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 37
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Simple carbs for me also
      * muj kochanie *

Click LinkTo Enter

www.qualitymuscle.com

~ Disclaimer: Quality Muscle was designed to share knowledge and discuss diverse areas of bodybuilding. ~ Quality Muscle and its Staff does not promote the use of illegal substances ~

DiamondBling
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Good thread, I am very curious what people consume after their w/o's

Plucks is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 319
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Anything i can find and whatever i don't have to cook... I'm too dead after a workout to think about what i am going to eat, i mean damn i can barely drive my car home.
      Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog...

DerCribben
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Workout?!? that work part suspiciously looks like work to me and out seems to imply that I have to leave the house (not to mention my couch!!)

YellowJacket is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 428
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by ephedra
      i am a big supporter of simple carbs. they burn off fast and help refill muscles fast
      Burn off fast? Pleace elaborate..... and are simple sugars better to fill muscle glycogen? Hmm...dont think so....

I have oatmeal. Been doing it for a month now and love it.

AceDaBoss
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

After you workout you have a window of about an hour where you should take in all your simple carbs for the day. Really the only time you want an inssulin spike is directly after working out when your muscles are craving nutrients. It is less likely the simple carbs will be stored as BF if taken within an hour after a stong workout. I always include a liquid whey shake with it and if I don't have any dextrose I will drink a glass of Grape juice (high GI) all other times you should try and keep your carns low GI except for post workout.

jipped genes is offline VET
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

i use dextrose only i have never used malto or any others.
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by AceDaBoss
      After you workout you have a window of about an hour where you should take in all your simple carbs for the day.
      Be careful of using 'window'. This is a window that doesnt shut. How long do you think it takes complex carbs to digest and process through the body to the muscle?

Really the only time you want an inssulin spike is directly after working out when your muscles are craving nutrients.

Careful with this as well, its more of an insulin response.

It is less likely the simple carbs will be stored as BF if taken within an hour after a stong workout.
      I disagree, depending upon how much you consume, how intense your workout was and what you consumed pre workout. Its much more likely simple sugars will be stored as fat as opposed to complex carbs, such as oatmeal. Can you provide research to back up your claims?

Im a new advocate of low GI carbs post workout, given an appropriate pre workout meal. I will have studies and abstracts later....

smalls is offline Established Resident
      Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 399
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Study's and abstracts aside, do you really feel that its going to make that big of a difference. I have used oatmeal for a time but usually and currently use malto+dex. Its cheap and easy to store in a shaker and have it very quickly after a workout even before I leave the gym. I can cut easily with 100 grams of dex after a workout, so increased fat gain due to the high gi carbs is not that big of an issue for me.

IMO your overall caloric intake and nutrient breakdown is much, much more important when it comes to gaining fat or muscle than one meal.

Again, just stating my opinion.
      "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
      Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
      alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
      Calvin Collidge (1872-1933)
      30th U.S. President

johnsonpride81@cyber-rights.com

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Originally posted by smalls
      Study's and abstracts aside, do you really feel that its going to make that big of a difference. I have used oatmeal for a time but usually and currently use malto+dex. Its cheap and easy to store in a shaker and have it very quickly after a workout even before I leave the gym. I can cut easily with 100 grams of dex after a workout, so increased fat gain due to the high gi carbs is not that big of an issue for me.
      Im carb sensitive, so if Im taking in too much sugar post workout, it can get ugly. Oatmeal is just as easy. I buy it in bulk (cheap as hell) and put it in a coffee grinder and grind it up and put it back in the tub.

IMO your overall caloric intake and nutrient breakdown is much, much more important when it comes to gaining fat or muscle than one meal.
      Maybe, but if you're carb sensitive, and having a lot of sugar pre workout as well, over time it can lead to some unwanted fat accumulation.

AceDaBoss
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by YellowJacket
      [B]Be careful of using 'window'. This is a window that doesnt shut. How long do you think it takes complex carbs to digest and process through the body to the muscle?

-----Longer then simple carbs. And if you add fat or fiber even longer.

Careful with this as well, its more of an insulin response.

-------Spike/ Response Whatever. I'll stand by SPIKE

I disagree, depending upon how much you consume, how intense your workout was and what you consumed pre workout.

Its much more likely simple sugars will be stored as fat as opposed to complex carbs, such as oatmeal.

-------True except post workout when your muscles are craving nutrients. You never heard of anyone taking their Dextrose post workout?

Can you provide research to back up your claims?

-------Yes, but you prove me wrong first. Then I will take the time to dig up the research.

Im a new advocate of low GI carbs post workout, given an appropriate pre workout meal. I will have studies and abstracts later....
      -------So if you take low GI carbs after workout, do you avoid all simple carbs from your diet? If not when do you take them?

AnotherUser
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by YellowJacket
      [B]Im carb sensitive, so if Im taking in too much sugar post workout, it can get ugly. Oatmeal is just as easy. I buy it in bulk (cheap as hell) and put it in a coffee grinder and grind it up and put it back in the tub.

Maybe, but if you're carb sensitive, and having a lot of sugar pre workout as well, over time it can lead to some unwanted fat
      accumulation.
      Be careful with that too. Remember that GI is effected by particle size (ie, smaller particles digest faster, probably due to more total surface area in the meal). Look up the difference between rolled oats and "quick" oats in a GI index. They have exactly the same ingredients, but one consists of smaller oats. I believe the instant oats have a GI of around 70 (on the glucose scale) and original rolled oats have a GI of around 40 or 50.

Anyway, I might agree with oatmeal after a workout if you consumed some simple sugars before or during the workout. I dunno. I tried snacking on raisins during my workout and I think it actually slowed me down Maybe something that is more easily digested would work better. Till the, it's 35g of sugar from a 20fl oz gatorade, followed 10-15 minutes later with about 35g whey isolate and half a cup of blueberries and 5 strawberries in a blender. Delicious I then oat a bowl of oatmeal an hour later with a 7% fat hamburger patty.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......

• ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      • ......poll Time......
      Originally posted by AnotherUser
      Be careful with that too. Remember that GI is effected by particle size (ie, smaller particles digest faster, probably due to more total surface area in the meal). Look up the difference between rolled oats and "quick" oats in a GI index. They have exactly the same ingredients, but one consists of smaller oats. I believe the instant oats have a GI of around 70 (on the glucose scale) and original rolled oats have a GI of around 40 or 50.

Good point, I just grind them enough so they dont sink to the bottom before I can tip the glass

Anyway, I might agree with oatmeal after a workout if you consumed some simple sugars before or during the workout. I dunno. I tried snacking on raisins during my workout and I think it actually slowed me down Maybe something that is more easily digested would work better. Till the, it's 35g of sugar from a 20fl oz gatorade, followed 10-15 minutes later with about 35g whey isolate and half a cup of blueberries and 5 strawberries in a blender. Delicious I then oat a bowl of oatmeal an hour later with a 7% fat hamburger patty.

I dont like simple sugar pre workout, insulin is great for cortisol suppression, but we all know it also blunts lipolysis.