• Join Us!
  • Atheist/Agnostic and Christmas?
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Atheist/Agnostic and Christmas?

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Atheist/Agnostic and Christmas?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I've always wondered why people who don't believe in God would celebrate the birth of Gods son. Everyone knows that Christmas is the recognition of Christ's birth. Who here celebrates the birth of Christ but yet doesn't not believe in him, and why?

I for one don't believe in any other religion, therefore, I don't recognize days that those religions take (Hannukah and such). But it seems to me that a lot of people who don't believe in God still celebrate Christmas and Easter, days that are clearly associated with God. It just seems to me that if a person does not believe in God they should not celebrate holidays associated with God. I guess I find it hypocritical. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. If I don't believe in something I don't recognize anything associated with that belief. Doing the opposite of what you believe would in fact be the very definition of hypocrit.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

mick-G is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Atheist/Agnostic and Christmas?

Sorry, i don't know anyone that does not believe in God or Jesus Christ that celebrates Christmas or Easter. I would wonder also why they would. Maybe it is that they incorporate the holidays into their religions, because they came from another country, and because these holidays are so traditional in the US that they want to aquaint the children more into American tradition.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Good point Mick! But I've known some people who claim to have no religion whatsoever but yet they do indeed celebrate Christmas and Easter. Not a lot, but some. However, I've met more non-believers on this board than I have my whole life. So that's why I put the question out there, to see if maybe they could explain it to me. Of course, if they truely don't believe and they don't celebrate either holiday then that would coincide with their beliefs. I'm just curious what the non-believer is actually celebrating.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

SORRY BRO...ME AND THE MAN UPSTAIRS MAY NOT SEE EYE TO EYE, AND I MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH "CHURCHES" BUT, I DO BELIEVE...AND I WOULD WONDER WHY NON BELIEVERS CELIBRATE THOSE DAYS ALSO..WELL, EASTER ANYWAY'S. CHRISTMAS HAS BECOME VERY COMMERCIAL. GOD HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT OF IT IN MANY WAYS, AND I DONT BELIEVE EVERYONE THAT IS CELABRATING CHRISTMAS IS NESSESARALY (SP?) CELEBRATING CHRIST.
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

46and2aheadofme
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I don't wonder at all. Everyone has a right to believe what they believe and celebrate what they celebrate. Christmas is just as much, if not more, of a secular holiday as it is a religious one. Are you saying that if you don't believe in Christianity, you shouldn't get Christmas break from school, you shouldn't get discount sale prices, you shouldn't be allowed to give each other presents on Dec. 25, you shouldn't be able to drink eggnog, etc? Our culture is set up to almost force Christmas on everyone. What REALLY makes me wonder is how people who say "my religion is the one true religion and everyone else is wrong and going to hell" can sleep at night.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

No bro, I'm not saying any of that. I'm saying why would people who claim to not believe in God celebrate a holiday that is clearly about God. That's all. It's a government holiday so of course people should get out of school. Also, discount sales aren't just about Christmas, they are about Hannakuh too. That's why they are called 'Holiday Sales' and not Christmas sales. I think you're reading more into it than was intended. All my point was is that there are people who absolutely do not believe in God, yet they celebrate the birth of Christ and the Resurection of Christ (Christmas and Easter), why? Why take part, any part, in something that you do not believe in? That's all I'm asking. I'm not saying people don't have the right to, I just asking why they would. You know, since they think it's all bunk and all.

The last part is true of many religions, all believe their's is the only way. I don't judge any of them for their beliefs. Whether they agree with mine or not, I don't judge them whatsoever. It's their choice to make. Atleast, that's my take on it.

46and2aheadofme
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Agreed. I wasn't pointing my finger at you when I got on my soapbox about people who judge, sorry if it came off that way. I think, though, that you're missing a big point here - if we asked someone who doesn't believe in God why they were giving presents to each other on 12/25, I don't think they would answer "because today is the day we celebrate Our Lord's birth."

Also, I don't like lumping atheists and agnostics together. I respect agnostics a lot more. IMO atheism is the very height of human arrogance, organized religion is in the middle, and agnosticism is simply human modesty - an admission that our tiny brains will never understand God. But that's just my personal take on things at this point in my life, I'm the first to admit I'm still learning and growing in my spirituality.

mick-G is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

007, are you saying that you know ppl that don't believe in God or Jesus Christ, but celebrate the birth of Christ and the Resurection of Christ?? I personally don't know anyone that does that. I mean how can they?, If they don't believe in God or Jesus Christ?? I think, and this is my opinion, that if they don't believe in God or Jesus and they celebrate, id bet that the only reason that they are doing it is because they just want to celebrate the holidays like everyone else, and don't really care about the fact of why they are celebrating. There are so many ppl now that celebrate the holidays that don't even consider why its the holiday. All they are interested in is buying and getting gifts and pigging out, lol! Its just kinda like Thanksgiving. Nobody really talks about why the day in important, its all about the hype and eating the turkey, stuffing, cranberry etc., and visiting with friends and relatives. I tend to agree with Daved, in the fact that all the holidays are just becoming a big commercial selling point.

46and2aheadofme
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Yeah, I looked at Santa's list and it said Jesus wants a DVD player for Christmas!

supasaiyan99 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007
      I've always wondered why people who don't believe in God would celebrate the birth of Gods son. Everyone knows that Christmas is the recognition of Christ's birth. Who here celebrates the birth of Christ but yet doesn't not believe in him, and why?

I for one don't believe in any other religion, therefore, I don't recognize days that those religions take (Hannukah and such). But it seems to me that a lot of people who don't believe in God still celebrate Christmas and Easter, days that are clearly associated with God. It just seems to me that if a person does not believe in God they should not celebrate holidays associated with God. I guess I find it hypocritical. Sorry, but that's just my opinion. If I don't believe in something I don't recognize anything associated with that belief. Doing the opposite of what you believe would in fact be the very definition of hypocrit.
      That's a good question, but I don't think they are celerating it in the way you think. I'm pretty sure many people do not celebrate Christmas or Easter based on the religious meaning. They celebrate it based on the secular/commercial view (Santa Claus, Easter bunny). I've met many christians who don't celebrate Christmas because it has become too secular of a holiday so they say you should celebrate the birth of Christ everyday and not just on that one day.
      NO PAIN, NO GAIN
      KNOW PAIN, KNOW GAIN

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by 46and2aheadofme
      Agreed. I wasn't pointing my finger at you when I got on my soapbox about people who judge, sorry if it came off that way. I think, though, that you're missing a big point here - if we asked someone who doesn't believe in God why they were giving presents to each other on 12/25, I don't think they would answer "because today is the day we celebrate Our Lord's birth."

Also, I don't like lumping atheists and agnostics together. I respect agnostics a lot more. IMO atheism is the very height of human arrogance, organized religion is in the middle, and agnosticism is simply human modesty - an admission that our tiny brains will never understand God. But that's just my personal take on things at this point in my life, I'm the first to admit I'm still learning and growing in my spirituality.
      No, you didn't come off the wrong way, I just wanted to clarify things. You are right, I shouldn't have lumped agnositc and atheist in the same group. That was a mistake on my part. Damn it, that's the first mistake of this year. And to think I almost made it.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by mick-G
      007, are you saying that you know ppl that don't believe in God or Jesus Christ, but celebrate the birth of Christ and the Resurection of Christ?? I personally don't know anyone that does that. I mean how can they?, If they don't believe in God or Jesus Christ?? I think, and this is my opinion, that if they don't believe in God or Jesus and they celebrate, id bet that the only reason that they are doing it is because they just want to celebrate the holidays like everyone else, and don't really care about the fact of why they are celebrating. There are so many ppl now that celebrate the holidays that don't even consider why its the holiday. All they are interested in is buying and getting gifts and pigging out, lol! Its just kinda like Thanksgiving. Nobody really talks about why the day in important, its all about the hype and eating the turkey, stuffing, cranberry etc., and visiting with friends and relatives. I tend to agree with Daved, in the fact that all the holidays are just becoming a big commercial selling point.
      That's what I was wondering. The people I know, and they are few, say they celebrate Christmas and Easter but don't believe. I would ask why and they would say because. I was just looking for a 'why' and you and 46 gave it to me. They do it because it's what most people do. I guess it has no meaning other than presents and Cadbury Eggs to some.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by supasaiyan99
      That's a good question, but I don't think they are celerating it in the way you think. I'm pretty sure many people do not celebrate Christmas or Easter based on the religious meaning. They celebrate it based on the secular/commercial view (Santa Claus, Easter bunny). I've met many christians who don't celebrate Christmas because it has become too secular of a holiday so they say you should celebrate the birth of Christ everyday and not just on that one day.
      Yeah, that's what I'm starting to understand out of this thread. I just didn't look at it like that because I know some Muslims and Hindus that don't celebrate it because of their beliefs so I just wondered why any other non-christian believer would celebrate it. I think I've gotten my answer.

Klash is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 184
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007

I don't come here much and just saw this thread. I can give you one atheist's perspective on christimas.

Have you ever heard of Hallelujah night? It is a name for some christians alternative to Halloween. They think halloween is worshipping evil, so they offer an alternative.

Christmas is the same thing as Hallelujah night. The pagans and non-christians celebrated the longest night of the year, the winter solstice, around December 21. Christians do not believe Christ was born in December, they think a more accurate time would be in the spring. Yet they went with december to give an alternative to the winter solstice celebrations. So christmas is a non-religious holiday - that christians inject religion into.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Klash
      I don't come here much and just saw this thread. I can give you one atheist's perspective on christimas.

Have you ever heard of Hallelujah night? It is a name for some christians alternative to Halloween. They think halloween is worshipping evil, so they offer an alternative.

Christmas is the same thing as Hallelujah night. The pagans and non-christians celebrated the longest night of the year, the winter solstice, around December 21. Christians do not believe Christ was born in December, they think a more accurate time would be in the spring. Yet they went with december to give an alternative to the winter solstice celebrations. So christmas is a non-religious holiday - that christians inject religion into.
      I'LL ADMIT, I'M NOT UP ON CHRITIANITY...BUT, YOU SAID "CHRISTIANS DO NOT BELIEVE CHRIST WAS BORN IN DECEMBER"?...I DONT THINK I'VE MET THOSE CHRITIANS....
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...