• Join Us!
  • Legal marijuanas biggest foe
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Legal marijuanas biggest foe

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Legal marijuanas biggest foe

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

This surprised me that it is the alcohol industry, which probably stands to lose the most. Unbelievable for a beer company to brag about people drinking a 6 pack of beer a day for 25 years. Like that is somehow a good thing...This is unbelievable!
      What the pot drive really threatens
      David Sirota
      Creators Syndicate
      Posted: 09/25/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Here's a fact that even drug policy reform advocates can acknowledge: California's 2010 ballot initiative to legalize marijuana does, indeed, pose a real threat, as conservative culture warriors insist. But not to public health, as they claim.

According to most physicians, pot is less toxic — and has more medicinal applications — than a legal and more pervasive drug like alcohol. Whereas alcohol causes hundreds of annual overdose deaths, contributes to untold numbers of illnesses and is a major factor in violent crime, the use of marijuana has never resulted in a fatal overdose and has not been systemically linked to major illness or violent behavior.

So this ballot measure is no public health threat. If anything, it would give the millions of citizens who want to use inebriating substances a safer alternative to alcohol. Which, of course, gets to what this ballot initiative really endangers: alcohol industry profits.

That truth is underscored by news this week that the California Beer and Beverage Distributors is financing the campaign against the legalization initiative. This is the same group that bankrolled opposition to a 2008 ballot measure, which would have reduced penalties for marijuana possession.

By these actions, alcohol companies are admitting that more sensible drug policies could cut into their government-created monopoly on mind-altering substances. Thus, they are fighting back — and not just defensively. Unsatisfied with protecting turf in California, the alcohol industry is going on the offense, as evidenced by a recent article inadvertently highlighting America's inane double standards.

Apparently oblivious to the issues the California campaign is now raising, Businessweek just published an elated puff piece headlined "Keeping Pabst Blue Ribbon Cool." Touting the beer's loyal following, the magazine quoted one PBR executive effusively praising a rate of alcohol consumption that would pickle the average liver.

"A lot of blue-collar workers I've talked to say 'I've been drinking a six-pack of Pabst every single day, seven days a week, for 25 years,' " he gushed, while another executive added, "It's, like, habitual — it's part of their life. It's their lifestyle."

Discussing possible plans to "develop a whole beer brand around troops" — one that devotes some proceeds to military organizations — the executives said their vision is "that when you see Red White & Blue [beer] at your barbecue, you know that money's supporting people who have died for our country."

Imagine marijuana substituted for alcohol in this story. The article would be presented as a scary expose about workers smoking a daily dime-bag and marijuana growers linking pot with the Army. Undoubtedly, such an article would be on the front page of every newspaper as cause for outrage. Yet, because this was about alcohol — remember, a substance more toxic than marijuana — it was buried in a financial magazine and depicted as something to extol.

Couple that absurd hypocrisy with the vociferous opposition to California's initiative, and we see the meta-message. We are asked to believe that people drinking a daily six-pack for a quarter-century is not a lamentable sign of a health crisis, but instead a "lifestyle" triumph worthy of flag-colored celebration — and we are expected to think that legalizing a safer alternative to this "lifestyle" is dangerous. Likewise, as laws obstruct veterans from obtaining doctor-prescribed marijuana for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, we are asked to believe that shotgunning cans of lager is the real way to "support our troops."

These are the delusions that a liquor-drenched culture prevents us from reconsidering. In a society drunk off of alcohol propaganda — a society of presidential "beer summits" and sports stadiums named after beer companies — we've had trouble separating fact from fiction. Should California pass its ballot initiative, perhaps a more sober and productive drug policy might finally become a reality.

Last edited by Dzone; 09-28-2010 at 09:14 AM.

horsepwr is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Overall activity: 8.0%
      is just chillin

I am:
      Happy

Level

Default Re: Legal marijuanas biggest foe

damn good post!
      prohibition! prohibition!..It makes governments large and wealthy, and dangerous.
      Pot. It's a less toxic means of a healthier people. That goes for OTC meds, script meds, and for recreational use compared to alcohol. Well, there is no comparison. So weed has a ****ive issue. That's the financial status it could put those items I listed into.
      1 up

Go Gators

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

I think the booze industry is just as evil as the cigarette industry. Maybe even worse. Extolling the benefits of 25 years of drinking a sixpack of beer a day?????Plus the booze industry has the government on their side. Disgraceful.

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

There all evil,booze,cigarettes,pot,Is one less evil then the other that is the question and who is to say one is more then the other. 2 out of the 3 are legal and marijuana will never be legal in the entire united states. The sad thing is californias rules on marijuana are to soft and everyone with a bull shit excuse get get a script for it. Thats the problem
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

I think AAS for HRT should be every bit as legal. Unfortunately, the majority of people in this country think steroids are more evil than anything on earth. They lump booze, pot, cigarettes, steroidsin the same pile...as long as we have the government telling us what we can and cant put in our bodies, AAS will stay illegal.

straydoglogic is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 382
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Of course the alcohol industry doesn't want herb legal, it would severely dip into their pockets. Marijuana is far safer than both smokes and alcohol, yet it's illegal. It's stupid. People a crying about the drug cartels at the border. They cry about billions being spent in the drug war. Guess what, legalize weed and you save billions of dollars, countless amount of lives and you make a huge industry. All of the people that couldn't grow because it was illegal can now make and sell hemp products. Rope, food, fuel, clothes. They've even made a car from hemp. Endless possibilities. But the uneducated will never let that happen. And people that want to say "Well this shouldn't be legal because we have to protect people." aren't really for liberty are they? They're for the liberties that they personally deem acceptable, but not true freedom and liberty. Freedom and liberty means being able to do whatever I want as long as I don't harm anybody else or their property. Who's being harmed if I want to smoke a joint? Nobody. And I don't even smoke! Keep your laws and your views off my body and I will do the same for you.

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by straydoglogic View Post
      Of course the alcohol industry doesn't want herb legal, it would severely dip into their pockets. Marijuana is far safer than both smokes and alcohol, yet it's illegal. It's stupid. People a crying about the drug cartels at the border. They cry about billions being spent in the drug war. Guess what, legalize weed and you save billions of dollars, countless amount of lives and you make a huge industry. All of the people that couldn't grow because it was illegal can now make and sell hemp products. Rope, food, fuel, clothes. They've even made a car from hemp. Endless possibilities. But the uneducated will never let that happen. And people that want to say "Well this shouldn't be legal because we have to protect people." aren't really for liberty are they? They're for the liberties that they personally deem acceptable, but not true freedom and liberty. Freedom and liberty means being able to do whatever I want as long as I don't harm anybody else or their property. Who's being harmed if I want to smoke a joint? Nobody. And I don't even smoke! Keep your laws and your views off my body and I will do the same for you.
      i understand your point...i dont think most peolpe worry about the "liberty" aspect of this arguement. i believe most are uneducated about the safety of marijuana. i think they tend to be affraid of it. i dont smoke it either, but i agree it should be just as legal as alcahol.
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by daved150 View Post
      i believe most are uneducated about the safety of marijuana. i think they tend to be affraid of it. i dont smoke it either, but i agree it should be just as legal as alcahol.
      You're a true man of genius dave. I completely agree.

TheChosen1 is offline Simply...The Best
      Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 825
      is Simply....the Best!

I am:
      Wtf

Level

Exclamation Re: Legal marijuanas biggest foe

Quote Originally Posted by daved150 View Post
      i understand your point...i dont think most peolpe worry about the "liberty" aspect of this arguement. i believe most are uneducated about the safety of marijuana. i think they tend to be affraid of it. i dont smoke it either, but i agree it should be just as legal as alcahol.
      Sorry to be the devil's advocate here but there is so much wrong for it to become legal.

For starters, California is currently fighting legalization, eventhough there are "medical marijuana" stores here. The greatest problem right now is that they are getting robbed and clerks are killed in the process.

Keep in mind though, if Mary Jane is legalized then it'd be taxed severly so that it becomes unaffordable.
      Last edited by TheChosen1; 09-28-2010 at 03:51 PM.
      Loved by some, Hated by most, but RESPECTED BY ALL

2012 APF Ca. State Champion & Double Record Holder

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosen1 View Post
      Sorry to be the devil's advocate here but there is so much wrong for it to become legal.

For starters, California is currently fighting legalization, eventhough there are "medical marijuana" stores here. The greatest problem right now is that they are getting robbed and clerks are killed in the process.

Keep in mind though, if Mary Jane is legalized then it'd be taxed severly so that it becomes unaffordable.
      like alcahol?? noooo...c'mon bro...the governement has figuredout, through beer and smokes, just how much it can tax before there's probs!!! see..michigan has medical marijuana so why dont you hear about the "stores" getting robbed? becouse we dont have stores. we have licenced individuals that grow and they can only supply for 6 "referal" patiants at a timie. there is a list of thing for them to comply and they get auditted every 6mo's....fuk around and find yourself in prison!!!
      i believe it should be grown and packaged and sold like cigerrettes or liquor
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

I don't believe it should be legalized, but I am definitely for the usage of it for medical purposes.
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosen1 View Post

You raise a valid point but again, as I said about the border and the supply coming across. The same goes for the clerks and the whole medical marijuana scene, if it weren't illegal then there wouldn't be the criminal element committing crimes to obtain it. And I would also like to see the reports of crime being risen due to this as well. The bottom line is, when there is a demand there will always be somebody there to supply it. We went through the same thing with prohibition. They made alcohol illegal and the crime rate skyrocketed and the gang kingpins got rich because they were the only supplier, along with the Moonshine runners. It's pretty simple.
      And as for legalizing it, I'm for decriminalization, not legalization, but I have to argue against your statement about it becoming too expensive. Is alcohol too expensive? Or cigarettes, well, smokes are getting there, but that's due to government interference. This is where the free market comes in. If it's legal and companies can distribute it then the market will regulate the prices. Marijuana is a weed and it's extremely easy to grow and to cultivate, so it would likely be cheaper than cigarettes would be. The only reason it would become too expensive is through government regulation and taxation. Not to mention as I said before, all of the things that hemp can be used for, growers would be growing the stuff like it was, well, a weed. The flower or bud is a byproduct of the hemp plant itself. Billions could be saved and billions could be earned if it were legalized. And as for safety, nobody has ever overdosed from weed, it's impossible. You see all of these commercials on tv about all of these drugs that can help with this and that, then they spout off a hundred side effects, like nausea, upset stomach, bleeding from the anus and death. Weed is safer than all of these fda approved drugs, yet it's illegal. Ever wonder why? It wasn't because it's bad for you.
      https://www.drugwarrant.com/articles/...juana-illegal/

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

I dont understand people who enjoy drinking alcohol, but think pot should be ILLEGAL...???? Enlighten me here..Am I missing something here? It is irrefutable that pot is less damaging to the human body than alcohol. Yet alcohol is glamorized in the media and is responsible for the deaths of THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of INNOCENT people every year.

ALCOHOL IS TAXED AND PEOPLE STILL AFFORD IT.

Pot doesnt need to be smoked either.
      Last edited by Dzone; 09-28-2010 at 05:23 PM.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

"According to most physicians, pot is less toxic — and has more medicinal applications — than a legal and more pervasive drug like alcohol. Whereas alcohol causes hundreds of annual overdose deaths, contributes to untold numbers of illnesses and is a major factor in violent crime, the use of marijuana has never resulted in a fatal overdose and has not been systemically linked to major illness or violent behavior."
      And you guys still think it should be a CRIMINAL offense to have marijuana??????

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I guess I am the rare one here as I NEVER enjoyed drinking alcohol. I just don;t know that legalizing pot would be a good idea.
      Veritas Vos Liberabit