What is Hiit?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres a pretty useful post by bignbuff, i believe

What type of cardio should I be doing, high intensity or low intensity?

Well there have been recent studies about this. One group of people did high intensity cardio for a period of time while others did low intensity cardio. At the end of the experiment the group doing the high intensity cardio had burned more fat than the group who did low intensity cardio. The truth is that low intensity cardio for long periods of time actually burns more fat while you're exercising than the high intensity. They also burned a similar amount of calories during the exercise. However, studies showed that the group that did high intensity cardio continued to burn those calories afterwards while the group who performed low intensity burned barely any calories afterwards ultimately resulting in many more calories burned by the high intensity group. For long term fat loss, it is not techinically how much fat you're burning, but how many calories you are burning since the calorie deficit ultimately results in total fat loss.

Is HIIT a good form of cardio

Yes, HIIT is a great form of high intensity cardio. I would recommend it to anyone who is trying to lose some weight.

What is HIIT?

High Intensity Interval Training. It should take you about 15 to 20 minutes to complete and you do it in intervals. An example would be sprinting for 20 seconds than briskly walking for 40 seconds before repeating for the desired number of times. There are many other ways you can do this though. For more info on HIIT I suggest you read this, https://davedraper.com/hiit-cardio-training.html

Does it matter how I do the cardio?

Well I suggest running and walking because it's easy and you can do it just about anywhere. However if you would like, you can try an exercise bike or a rowing machine.

Should I be doing cardio in the morning on an empty stomach?

Well the answer is yes if you would like to burn that muscle that you've worked so hard for. The problem is that in the morning you are at a fasted state and cortisol levels are high. Cortisol is a catabolic hormone which aids in the loss of muscle. If you do the cardio on an empty stomach, your body will use your muscle that you've worked so hard for, in order to supply you with energy. What is the solution? Well I suggest that you eat some complex carbs such as oatmeal about 45 minutes before your cardio session so that they can provide your body with the fuel it needs and not your muscle.

If I eat carbs before my cardio, won't my body just be burning the carbs and not the fat?

Studies have shown that it's not what nutrients your body is burning that matters. Like I said before, what's important for fat loss is how many calories in total that you're burning.

When is the best time to do cardio?

It really doesn't matter as long as you're not doing it on an empty stomach.

What should I consume for post cardio nutrition?

A good whey protein shake should be sufficient, just like you drink post lifting.

Should I do my cardio on lifting days?

Try not to. Try to do your cardio on non lifting days so you can put all your energy into the cardio. If you have to do it on lifting days though make sure that you're doing it after you lift so you won't waste your lifting energy on cardio. I don't recommend doing cardio the day that you're training legs though.