JUNEAU, Alaska – Gov. Sarah Palin got a break from answering questions about federal corruption probes and natural gas pipeline applications this week to take on the heady subject of fashion.
Palin struck a pose for Vogue, a fashion magazine that spent Wednesday morning at her Wasilla home.

The 43-year-old former high-school athlete and ex-television broadcaster would not be out of place in the magazine.

In a state where residents are not shy about voicing their political opinions, Internet blogs also don't ignore this aspect of the current occupant of the governor's office. One proclaims Alaska and Palin: “Coldest State, Hottest Governor.”

But don't let her black or red power suits fool you; the fashion photographer quickly learned this week that Palin is an Alaska girl at heart.

“At first they had me in a bunch of furs,” she said. “Yeah, I have furs on my wall, but I don't wear furs. I had to show them my bunny boots and my North Face clothing.”

Photographers took shots of Palin – often including her daughters Bristol, 17; Willow, 13; and Piper, 6 – to be published in an upcoming edition.

As for the story line, Vogue was vague.

Magazine spokesman Patrick O'Connell only said she will be part of a story for its February edition to be released late January.

Palin was a little more forthcoming, saying Vogue wanted to talk more about fashion and women in leadership.

Palin has attracted plenty of attention from national media outlets during her inaugural year as the state's first female chief executive.

She's been interviewed by CNBC, MSNBC and Newsweek, and shared the spotlight on PBS' The Charlie Rose Show with Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano.

Most questions have focused energy related issues, like applications that have been received for the right to build a pipeline, or on the federal corruption probes that continues to dog the state.

And she was glad to have an international fashion publication interested in Alaska for other reasons.

“Can you imagine if our administration would choose to shun any kind of national limelight and let them capitalize on some of the negative with the corruption trials,” Palin said.

“Yes, it's humbling,” she said, “but it's also a responsibility we've taken on: changing Alaska's image.”

Vogue photographers picked the right day for the shoot, with a fresh layer of snow serving as a backdrop at her home about 40 miles north of Anchorage.

“It was the most perfect day in the world with the new snow,” she said. “Everything was just too perfect: the mountains and the sun and the fog on the lake.”

And for the record, Palin prefers clothing made by more outdoorsy clothiers, like North Face and Columbia rather than runway fashion dresses.