Molecular weight of base: 300.3968

Effective dose: 200-500 mg/day
Average Street-price: $3.5 - 4.5 for a single 50 mg tab
Available Doses: 50 and 100 mg/ml, 50 mg tabs

Brands & Products:

Bristol Arzneimittel GmbH Fludestrin (G) 50 or 100 mg/ml
Squibb (sub. Mead & Johnson) Teslac (B,NL,US) 50 mg tabs

Characteristics:

Testolactone, although a derivative of the normal sex steroids (A-ring structure most likened to boldenone) is not considered and anabolic or an androgenic steroid. Although I once read the well known Biochemist Bill Roberts comment it has no androgenic activity, its structure would certainly indicate a mild possibility to androgenic binding, although not drastic, and as we will later demonstrate, it would exert some androgenic influence through other media as well although it may simply not come to expression. Its chemical use is mainly, as most anti-estrogenic compounds, in the treatment of female estrogen related problems, such as breast cancer. And Testolactone has earned its way in that regard, as a successful treatment for even very advanced carcinoma's. New evidence also suggests that it may be a good treatment for oligospermic men1 (men with low sperm counts, may affect fertility). This evidence also supports the notion, that like HCG, Testolactone can increase the release of Gonadotropins and help bring back testicles to their normal size.

But lets start with its anti-estrogenic benefits. It works as an aromatase inhibitor2 in the likes of Proviron, Cytadren and Arimidex. Some have claimed that Testolactone is perhaps the best anti-estrogen around. While I've seen no head to head studies, the lowest price I have found for a 50 mg tab of Teslac (1/4th of effective dose) was 3 dollars, which is 50% more than I pay for a daily dose of arimidex (1 mg), so it better be the best. Otherwise, why bother ? Personally I have my doubts. Arimidex is generally held as the best aromatase inhibitor, and studies have shown that the legal aromatase inhibitor Viratase (5Adione) binds aromtase up to 98%. Then hearing the comments of Bill Roberts that only stacking it with proviron would completely block all estrogen, it can't be as potent as these two. But regardless, it's a very powerful aromatase inhibitor.

Its also been touted as a gonadotropin increasing compound, much like HCG. Studies1 have shown that it increases testosterone (47%) and androstenedione (70%) levels in the body, and because it's a potent aromatase inhibitor, it does not subsequently increase estrone or estradiol levels like HCG would. As such it also positively affects testosterone to estradiol levels (126%) and androstendione to estrone levels (231%). While the study did not show any increase in sperm count or sperm motility, in 3 out of 5 cases treatment led to pregnancy, which indicates that it may be advisable in treating infertility in men. And the majority of infertility problems that couples have, are caused by the male. The fact that no increase in sperm count or motility was noted, may be due to a slight anti-androgenic effect that testolactone could exert3. This may have led to the fact that its androgenic effect in increasing testosterone and testosterone to estradiol levels is mostly negated, because in binding the androgen receptor, it does not seem to exert influence. From there on out the literature is very contradictory. The short term treatment seems to have no effect on serum testosterone concentration, even though androstendione concentration is increased significantly. This would indicate that at first testolactone may exert inhibiting effects on the 17-beta hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzyme, which is later negated as androstenedione levels keep rising. This would also explain why testosterone does not increase in linear fashion with androstendione in the studies that do show an increase in testosterone.

So testosterone increases would stay out a little while longer than they would with HCG, but this is of no concern to use, since the main use of HCG would be to decrease testicular atrophy, and since even short term treatment with testolactone shows increases in pregnenolone, DHEA and androstendione4 it would prove that testolactone is well suited for this purpose as well. Perhaps even better suited since it would be less suppressive of natural endocrine production than HCG due to its strong anti-estrogenic and mild anti-androgenic properties. In combination with some Nolvadex, it may form a perfect post-cycle treatment.

There are no major side-effects from this product, its mostly used in women so androgenically its no risk at all. Its an anti-estrogen, so a lack of estrogenic side-effects as well. In seldom cases users can experience increased blood pressure, itching and pricking (paresthesia), pain in the arms and legs and swelling, tongue infection, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting. But the occurrence is very limited.

It's a good enough product that is for sure, with a multitude of uses to the chemically enhanced bodybuilder. But as with my commentary on Human Growth Hormone, I'm not about to spend 3 times more money per day to augment my cycle than I do on my cycle alone, that just doesn't make sense. In this case, due to the anti-estrogenic effects, it may actually reduce the results from your cycle. So the price is and remains a major turn-off.

Stacking and Use:

Testolactone is generally employed as an ancillary, either during a cycle to suppress estrogen or after a cycle to help bring back natural test by decreasing testicular atrophy. In case number one, being an anti-aromatase, its best stacked with an aromatizing hormone like testosterone, methandrostenolone or nandrolone to help reduce estrogenic side-effects. One would use a dose of 500 mg (10 tabs !) to completely block estrogen, but most will opt to use 200-250 mg and addition 50 mg of Proviron or 0.5 mg or arimidex to get the trick done. Mostly to suppress cost of course.

For the latter case, using some 200-250 mg daily for about 3-weeks post-cycle is usually adequate. Starting about 1 to 1.5 weeks after last injection, and starting Nolvadex or Clomid about 2 to 2.5 weeks after last injection. Though much less suppressive of natural testosterone than HCG, its still recommended that use is terminated at least 2 weeks before therapy with Clomid or Nolvadex is over.

No additional products are needed when using Testolactone, but keep in mind that it can suppress gains from your steroid cycle. Not only because its an anti-estrogen, but also because it has mild anti-androgenic properties.

References

1 Vigersky RA, Glass AR. Effects of delta 1-testolactone on the pituitary-testicular axis in oligospermic men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1981 May;52(5):897-902

2 Nagler HM, deVere White R, Dyrenfurth I, Hembree WC. The effect of delta 1-testolactone on serum testosterone and estradiol in the adult male rat. Fertil Steril 1983 Dec;40(6):818-22

3 Vigersky RA, Mozingo D, Eil C, Purohit V, Bruton J. The antiandrogenic effects of delta 1-testolactone (Teslac) in vivo in rats and in vitro in human cultured fibroblasts, rat mammary carcinoma cells, and rat prostate cytosol. Endocrinology 1982 Jan;110(1):214-9

4 Martikainen H, Ruokonen A, Ronnberg L, Vihko R. Short-term effects of testolactone on human testicular steroid production and on the response to human chorionic gonadotropin. Fertil Steril 1985 May;43(5):793-8