• Join Us!
  • Confused about a couple things Biblical
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused about a couple things Biblical

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Confused about a couple things Biblical

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

like when Jesus told the woman who came to him about her daughter and he blew her off sayin that basically he was here for a single group of people and why should he give his "food" to dogs. Granted because of her faith and response he granted her request but the whole dog thing never set well with me.
      A few other things are in Leviticus which I know Christians aren't bound by but it's still His word right? Things like it being perfectly fine to kill for adultery, disrespectful children etc... Also the fact that slavery and the murder of women and children in the places the Jews conquered is pretty odd to me as well.
      Anyone got any answers to this?

Rolsroyce is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 409
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Confused about a couple things Biblical

i need to look this up ,i'll get back to ya....the thing about killing, there are justified times to kill. Murder is not OK though.

Rolsroyce is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 409
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

the thing is to be forgiven you must turn from the wrong ways and not repeat them. Lots of folks seem to think its ok as long as you continually are sorry and ask for forgiveness, then they go out and do it again and are asking to be forgiven again. Not really how it works. The bible and religion are very interesting. Much of what is taught is wrong and as wolfy says the bible isnt entirely translated correctly. Some things are mistranslations and there are too many versions that try to make it easy to understand. But the ten commandments dont conflict with jesus and cant. I have to go to bed but this is interesting stuff. Talk more later fellas.

Klash is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 184
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
      like when Jesus told the woman who came to him about her daughter and he blew her off sayin that basically he was here for a single group of people and why should he give his "food" to dogs. Granted because of her faith and response he granted her request but the whole dog thing never set well with me.
      A few other things are in Leviticus which I know Christians aren't bound by but it's still His word right? Things like it being perfectly fine to kill for adultery, disrespectful children etc... Also the fact that slavery and the murder of women and children in the places the Jews conquered is pretty odd to me as well.
      Anyone got any answers to this?
      There was lots of things that never set well with me, that are pretty much ignored by the religion, until someone brings them up - then some lame justification is given but the impact of this action to the character of the Christian god is ignored.
      Look at the old and new testament. It's two totally different main characters [of god], who preach two totally different philosophies. Yet, Christians try to make it all coincide by stating it all changed with the crucifixion. The old testament god wouldn't have gave two $hits about saving people - he slaughtered the innocent, the elderly, the women, the children and the babies at Jericho. His angel killed innocent children at the passover. The old testament is filled with unfitting punishments to those who inherited sin. The old testament god is a tyrant. Jesus is totally different - turn the other cheek? Sacrifice yourself for the undeserving! All this apparently from the same guy; who is also omnipotent.

a-bomb83 is offline Elite FG Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

^i like the way you think klash. i was brought up southern baptist and lived the life of a devout christian for the first 18 years of my life...i then turned to a lifestyle of cussing, drinking, smoking....you know, typical highschool sh it. i have since stayed basically the same way. i don't know what to think about religion now...i really don't. after hearing some things put into perspective by comedians like Bill Hicks, i do think differently about organized religion and especially christianity. i just kinda do my own thing now and only go to church on easter and christmas to appease my parents.
      Hey, I never saw a skinny bodybuilder before - eat away!
      - Testify

THE BEST WAY TO GET OVER A GIRL IS TO GET UNDER ANOTHER ONE

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

what verses are these in?

Scalleywag is offline Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

What we have to understand is that all God wanted from the begining is fellowship with his creations. His chosen people being the Jews could not understand this and asked for laws to live by. Instead of the relationship they wanted guidelines. So God did as they asked and gave them rules. Thus the ten commandments and all the other laws which were numerous by the time it was all over with.

This didn't work and there was no fulfilling fellowship so God sent Jesus to restore that fellowship. What it is most important to understand is that God is holy and without sin. He can not look on us or relate with us if we are covered in sin. Jesus came to be that sacrfice in order to render us blameless in God's eyes. If we accepte Jesus and covered in his righteouness (not our sin) then gellowship is restored.

In looking at the old testament people lived by the law. Now under the new covenant it is relationship. Paul talks about man not being able to follow all the laws. But if we are truly walking in a loving relationship with Jesus then we can not help but follow the laws because Jesus is ever present helping us make our decisions.

I find it very important to study the old testament as more of a history lesson as to how we got where we are. If we understand what it took God to get to this point then it makes it all the more real and precious to us now.

As for what Jesus said to the lady. When reading the words it is hard to inflect tone. I have run into that with emails all the time. The bible didn't use the , or to let people know the mood that whomever was in. We have to understand that Jesus was the most compasionate caring man that ever walked this earth. He also had a goal and a plan and that was to save the chosen people. He didn't say this to her being mean. He knew her reaction but more importantly he knew the plan and that the plan included the Gentiles in a very short time.

Kite, I was right there with you at first. When Jesus would rebuke people and say stuff like' "how much longer do I have to deal with you people". He did that in a loving manner. If that makes any sense. I say that to my kids all the time but I love them more than anything in the world. Jesus is the same way.

a-bomb83 is offline Elite FG Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i like the comment about using the and ...could you imgine that?

"jesus wept " bwahahahahaha
      Hey, I never saw a skinny bodybuilder before - eat away!
      - Testify

THE BEST WAY TO GET OVER A GIRL IS TO GET UNDER ANOTHER ONE

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I get what you're saying Scalley, but the big switch between the OT and the NT is what gets me. God supposedly never changes his mind but he did, or at least it appears that way. He went from violent, jealous and demanding to desiring a relationship, caring and offering Himself through Jesus to become the sacrifice.
      This actually brings up another thing that I don't really get. We aren't supposed to question Him yet He's the one who created our inquisitive mind. He gave us the desire to know and understand.

solidground is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 90
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

^ weird i was just having this convo last night..can anyone clear up the difference between the new and old testament..they are extremely different, so is one right and one wrong?? they should have just started a "new religion" after jesus, no?
      (candidates@google:ron paul )

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

You have to look at the major theme of the old testament. The OT is God trying to get the jews to love and trust Him for who He is. That obviously didn't work because the Jews were rebellious people. While God was leading them to the promised land via Moses all they wanted to do is go back to Egypt and their life of slavery. They didn't obey. If you look at the OT Saints that did obey you get a clear picture of what God wanted. He was kind, loving and protective toward them.

In my opinion God was frustrated with the Jews and thus the reason for the misconception that God is mean. Not a lot unlike our relationship with our kids.

Now I will go so far as to say that God was and is very protective over his chosen people. He would strike down enemies of Isreal and not think twice about it. Look at the war of 1967. Russia, Egypt and another country all advanced on Isreal and they were all defeated in just 7 days. Keep in mind that just one of the countries out manned Isreal let alone all three. They stopped the advance in 7 days. If that isn't devine intervention.

Now we get to the NT and what is essentially the new covenant. God is showing his mercy and grace now in hopes of reaching his chosen people. He understood that the method he was using didn't work. Now He is making the ultimate sacrifice to show His grace by sending His son on our behalf.

The main point to realize is that the two books are a history of God working toward fellowship with a rebellious people. The first way of giving rules and punishment didn't work. Now we are in the grace phase of this plan for fellowship. Soon, God is going to get completely fed up and prove to everyone his might and authority during the Tribulation. When will that happen? That is going to happen when the very last person that is going to accept his Son on faith and faith alone does so. When there are none left that will accept his Son by faith he is going to have to usse a different method. That method is going to be to make believers out of people. The earth will be put through more in 7 years than in its entire existance. Not a time to be trying to make a decision so life changing.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

This actually brings up another thing that I don't really get. We aren't supposed to question Him yet He's the one who created our inquisitive mind. He gave us the desire to know and understand.
      I don't think it is necessarily bad to question God. That is how we come to answers we would like to know. It isn't bad to ask, "God, why do tragedies happen?" or "Why do you allow men to kill kids?" Now I do think it is not OK to ask questions in a provoking way. Like for instance, "If you are so powerful why don't you wipe out evil?" If are asking questions with a desire to know I think God welcomes that.

I keep getting back to our kids. God is our Father and we have to look at him as such. A loving Father that wants to spend time with us not a Father sitting there waiting to rebuke you when you make a mistake. If your kids come to you and ask a question they really want to know you welcome that question. But if they come to you and ask, "If youre the man of the house why do you let Mom boss you around?. Well then you are just going to be upset with them.

BigDawg is offline Super Moderator
      is entering beast mode

I am:
      Awesome

Level
      Blog Entries

the thing about the books of the bible, and i'll say it again, they were written by men, not God. After Jesus died, these guys waited a loooong time before they started writing about him being the messiah. Men being subject to human nature, why wouldn't they write things the way they wanted them to come out and make them look good. And the whole idea of the pope being jesus' emissary on earth and whatever the pope, a human subject to all the temptations and frailties of the human spirit, decides is okay on earth is okay'd by jesus and whatever the pope opposes is forbidden in heaven? i think that was a do as i say not as i do provision the first pope threw in on his own for job security. The catholic faith has done some devious and shady things to draw attention from what they want hidden and focus attention onwhat they want seen, like deciding Jesus' birth was the 25th of december just to draw attention away from the pagans celebrating the winter solstice. Historians have pegged Jesus' actual birthday as sometime in the month of october. Any religion entrusted to mortal men will not be pure and untarnished turth just because of our human nature.
      You may not recognize your mom when you get home, I shaved her back.

I don't have an ego, i just love how awesome i am !!

Klash is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 184
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

That is the thing about faith. You can't question it and have it at the same time.

Kite, accept it bro your one of the special ones that god has predestined for hell! Look at the bright side we'll meet one day... j/k bro hope you find your path...

daved150 is offline Platinum
      Overall activity: 4.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Klash View Post
      That is the thing about faith. You can't question it and have it at the same time.

Kite, accept it bro your one of the special ones that god has predestined for hell! Look at the bright side we'll meet one day... j/k bro hope you find your path...
      oh stop it....you know i got your back....(you may have to play court jester for a couple million yrs or so, bit it'll be worth it, and i'll try to focus the big guy's attention on rev. sharpton our something...)
      HE WHO MAKES A BEAST OF HIMSELF, GET'S RID OF THE PAIN OF BEING A MAN!!

https://www.infinitymuscle.com/forum.php

"Actually for once your actually starting sound quite logical!"-djdiggler 07/10/2007

I LOVE BOOBOOKITTY...