• Join Us!
  • Heartburn & GERD
  • Heartburn & GERD
  • Heartburn & GERD
  • Heartburn & GERD
  • Heartburn & GERD
  • Heartburn & GERD
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Heartburn & GERD

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Heartburn & GERD

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD

• Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      Heartburn & GERD

Medications
      Lifestyle changes along with antacids, acid reducers, and acid blockers—either prescription or nonprescription—are usually tried first to treat symptoms that are likely caused by gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Medications are used in the treatment of GERD to:

Relieve symptoms (heartburn, sour taste, or pain).
      Allow the esophagus to heal.
      Prevent complications of GERD.
      Nonprescription medications can be tried when symptoms are mild and infrequent. Stronger, prescription medications will probably be required if symptoms are more severe.

Depending on the severity of your symptoms, medications may need to be taken daily or only occasionally when GERD symptoms occur. Long-term—often lifelong—medication treatment is usually needed for GERD symptoms that are more severe because symptoms tend to return when medication treatment is stopped.

Medication Choices
      The following nonprescription and prescription medications may be used to treat GERD.

Antacids (such as Gaviscon, Mylanta, Tums, or Rolaids) neutralize stomach acid and relieve heartburn. Making lifestyle changes and taking antacids are usually tried first when you have infrequent and mild symptoms.
      Acid reducers, such as nizatidine (Axid), famotidine (Pepcid), cimetidine (Tagamet), or ranitidine (Zantac), reduce the amount of acid in the stomach. They are available in both nonprescription and prescription strength. If nonprescription-strength acid reducers don't relieve your symptoms, ask your doctor for prescription-strength medication. Taking acid reducers and making lifestyle changes often help if you have more frequent GERD symptoms.
      Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs), such as esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid), omeprazole (Prilosec), pantoprazole (Protonix), or rabeprozole (Aciphex), are prescription medications that reduce the amount of acid in the stomach. These medications often help when acid reducers have failed to control symptoms of GERD. They are also used to treat severe GERD symptoms or inflammation of the esophagus (esophagitis). A nonprescription version of omeprazole (Prilosec OTC) has recently been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of frequent heartburn. However, omeprazole for treatment of more serious conditions including GERD and peptic ulcers can only be prescribed by a doctor. Talk with your health professional to find out whether you should try this medication. Making lifestyle changes are still an important part of the treatment of GERD when using proton pump inhibitors.
      Prokinetic agents such as metoclopramide (Reglan or Maxolon) have several effects. They may make the valve between the esophagus and stomach (lower esophageal sphincter, or LES) close more tightly, which helps prevent stomach juices from getting into the esophagus. They also increase the rate at which the stomach empties. Prokinetic agents are sometimes combined with an acid reducer, but their use is limited by frequent, sometimes severe side effects.
      What To Think About
      Doctors usually try to choose a treatment that uses enough medication to control your symptoms but not so much that side effects become a serious problem.

Depending on the severity of your symptoms, medications may need to be taken every day or only occasionally when GERD symptoms occur. Long-term—often lifelong—medication treatment is usually needed for GERD symptoms that are more severe because symptoms tend to return when medication treatment is stopped. Surgery is the only other effective option to prevent GERD symptoms from recurring.

Should I use medications or surgery to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?

Up to 80% of pregnant women have symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) during pregnancy. 1 Heartburn is common during pregnancy because hormones cause the digestive system to slow down. The muscles that push food down the esophagus also move more slowly during pregnancy. In addition, as the uterus grows, it pushes on the stomach and sometimes forces stomach acid up into the esophagus. Some medications used to treat symptoms of GERD in nonpregnant women may not be used during pregnancy. However, most proton pump inhibitors (acid blockers) and all acid reducers (H2 blockers) are safe for use by pregnant women.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

angryoldman is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Heartburn & GERD

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD

• Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      • Heartburn & GERD
      Add Apple cider vinegar to that list of homeopathic treatments. I swear by it, as I'm sure everyone here knows already!
      “I don't look ahead... I keep focused on my next opponent. I am looking forward to my next opponent, I don't think past that point.”
      --Manny Pacquiao

Big Mike's speach to Congress telling them to phuque off on the steroid ban:

https://www.moviewavs.com/0049230534/...y/statemnt.mp3

Fitnessgeared's resident Smart ass