• Join Us!
  • Mayweather Comments On Working With Penn
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Mayweather Comments On Working With Penn

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Mayweather Comments On Working With Penn

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Mayweather Comments On Working With Penn

With UFC 127 drawing closer, preparations have already begun for BJ Penn's showdown with Jon Fitch. As noted in his video blog yesterday, BJ has expanded his arsenal of coaches by seeking the boxing expertise of Floyd Mayweather Sr. Mayweather, who has also trained the likes of Oscar De La Hoya, and Ricky Hatton, expressed his thoughts on training with the UFC superstar, and how he sees the fight unfolding. In an interview with Fighthype.com Floyd Sr. stated “BJ Penn is a cool dude, man. I’ll be honest, at first, it didn’t seem like he could fight that good. I mean, I don’t know about his ground game and all of that stuff, but he’s got some pop and in just the three days I’ve been working with him, he has improved, man,” he says. “In his words, man, he told me, ‘I ain’t never seen some of this stuff you’re showing me, man.’ And that’s only after three days. BJ is learning fast, man. He’s a good guy.”

BJ, who was introduced to Floyd Sr by strength coach Rob Garcia, had him scheduled to train with Mayweather for a week, but apparently things are going so well, they will be working together for a bit longer. "Well, you know his strength and conditioning coach is Rob Garcia. Robert was Oscar's strength coach when I was with him, so he bought BJ down and we doing some stuff together. He was only supposed to be down her for a week, but he said he's learning so much that he's gonna stay two. If they really want to win this thing and look good, I would like to have him for 3-4 weeks, but trust me...the stuff I'm showing him in these 2 weeks will work if he uses it; trust me."

In fact, Mayweather and BJ are already working on a strategy to deal with the problems Fitch presents in this fight, "Yeah, I heard he is about six foot tall and cuts a good bit of weight to make 170 pounds, but guess what? If BJ throws his shots the way I got him throwing his shots, he will win. See, those guys throwing shots different than the way we do it, so I’m teaching BJ how to keep it standing and be effective,” he says. “Let me tell you something, man, if he uses it, then it will work…I got BJ working on something just for a taller opponent. I don’t know what BJ’s ground game is like at all, but if he uses what I’m showing him, he won’t need it. Trust me when I tell you now.”

Now some might be surprised by these comments, as BJ was well known to have worked with Freddie Roach in the past. In fact, Roach had the utmost respect for Penn's skills, saying that "BJ Penn is by far the best striker in MMA". Never one to bite his tongue, Mayweather didn't shy away from taking a shot at Roach's coaching skills “I bet he ain’t going back [to Freddie Roach] either. He worked with Freddie “The Joke Coach” Roach and he telling me he has never seen the stuff I’m showing him, so what does that tell you? Man, the only thing Freddie Roach can do better than me is wash my car.” As a coach, Roach's popularity has grown quite a bit, as he's worked with the likes of Georges St. Pierre, Dan Hardy, and many others, but Mayweather is also willing to throw his name into the hat for MMA fighters seeking boxing expertise “I work with a couple now and I’m all for it. I don’t know shit about that ground stuff, but I can get their defense tight and get them throwing their shots right."

One thing's for sure, with many boxing coaches making the crossover to MMA, Mayweather is certainly going to make a case for himself by training one of the sports most elite fighters.
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/

rc10j1 is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 53
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: Mayweather Comments On Working With Penn

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Gonna teach him to beat up women and children and dodge fights like his son? Lol
      They call you paranoid until the worst happens, and in the aftermath they will call you a hero.