• Join Us!
  • What could this injury be???
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What could this injury be???

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default What could this injury be???

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I have severe pain in the back of my shoulder. It hurts even to type. I took about 5 days off to give my body a rest and as soon as I picked up a weight the other day there was an instant shooting pain in the back of my shoulder. I worked out anyway (doing bi's, and tri's) and it seemed a little better by the time I was done. I worked out really heavy too.

Anyways it hurts anytime it moves. But sometimes of the day are more severe than others. What the hell is this? A pulled muscle?? did I mess up some joints?? Some advice on what this is & what I can do to treat this would be great.

Equalizer
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Re: What could this injury be???

if you worked out and it seemed to be better it could be maybe your ball and socket werent lining up right at the time and caused some discomfort and it worked back into its natural state, i dunno just a thought....u would think with a pulled muscle or something of that nature you would def aggrevate it.

Testify is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Tell tale sign of a rotator cuff injury. It might heal with rest if its not a bad one. I would rest your shoulders for a good two weeks before lifting again. If it still hurts, see a doctor. In the mean time I would take 200mg naproxin every 8 hours to minimize inflammation - this will help it heal too.

kite is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Ice it, especially after training, and give it some more rest.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Testify
      Tell tale sign of a rotator cuff injury. It might heal with rest if its not a bad one. I would rest your shoulders for a good two weeks before lifting again. If it still hurts, see a doctor. In the mean time I would take 200mg naproxin every 8 hours to minimize inflammation - this will help it heal too.
      Whats naproxin?

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

Quote Originally Posted by DJDIGGLER
      Whats naproxin?
      ALEVE
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

lxorl is offline Elite FG Resident
      Overall activity: 7.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

anti inflamitory med... can get it in grocery, just read the lables. I think it might be in motrin ?

Whats naproxin?
      I'm Just an old chunk of Coal, But I'm gonna be a DIAMOND some day.

mick-G is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

ie. Ibuprofin

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

hmmm.....It's been about 4 days since I worked out and I went to lay down and it felt like my shoulder split in half. Now its painful to do anything. I don't know what the F this is, but it's really starting to piss me off!

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Yea, sounds like rotator. Here's a test. Does it feel like it's superficial or really deep? If it's deep then it's probably one, or more, of your rotators. The reason this starts to hurt is your delts, bis and tirs get stronger much faster than your rotators and they become to weak to keep the joint stabilized. As a result the ball gets pulled up into the socket and rubs it while pinching or aggrevating nerves. This should be an easy fix with some rotators exercises. The reason your bicep and tricep workout helped is because both muscles cross the shoulder and elbow joints. Once they became pumped and tight it pulled the joint back in place. However, as soon as the tricep and bicep became relaxed the joint will move back up into the socket. There are 5 exercises I like but they are difficult to describe in words. It's one of those things that you need to be side by side to show someone how to do. I got mine from this physical therapist who is also a CSCS so he's got a little spin he puts on it and it works great. I have very dominating delts and they pull on my humerous all the time. I literally have to not train delts or do rotator exercises all the time. I do the rotator exercises.

As far as rest, 5 days wont cut it. I injured mine once and it took 10 months off before I was back to new. Had I not done that I would have been one of those guys you see who complains about injuries all the damn time. I refuse to be that guy. My ego just isnt bigger than my common sense. I will take a year off before I live with chronic pain anytime. I can always do stuff to stay in shape, I just lose some muscle, but it always comes back so I don't worry about it. With fall coming up I'd recommend you cut back and then take off 1 month. See how it feels. Trust me, it's better to take off a month or two now than a year because of surgery and recovery. Most guys are never the same after surgery. To date I've never had a surgery of any kind becuase I listen to my body. I have so many friends with bad this and bad that I just don't get it. They will complain of bicep pain while they do curls with 60 pound dumbbells. Their egos got in the way of their common sense and now they have chronic pain. Don't be one of these guys. You are young and you will bounce back if you rest now. If you tear something you are phuked.
      Last edited by T-Man007; 07-29-2005 at 10:23 AM.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007
      Yea, sounds like rotator. Here's a test. Does it feel like it's superficial or really deep? If it's deep then it's probably one, or more, of your rotators. The reason this starts to hurt is your delts, bis and tirs get stronger much faster than your rotators and they become to weak to keep the joint stabilized. As a result the ball gets pulled up into the socket and rubs it while pinching or aggrevating nerves. This should be an easy fix with some rotators exercises. The reason your bicep and tricep workout helped is because both muscles cross the shoulder and elbow joints. Once they became pumped and tight it pulled the joint back in place. However, as soon as the tricep and bicep became relaxed the joint will move back up into the socket. There are 5 exercises I like but they are difficult to describe in words. It's one of those things that you need to be side by side to show someone how to do. I got mine from this physical therapist who is also a CSCS so he's got a little spin he puts on it and it works great. I have very dominating delts and they pull on my humerous all the time. I literally have to not train delts or do rotator exercises all the time. I do the rotator exercises.

As far as rest, 5 days wont cut it. I injured mine once and it took 10 months off before I was back to new. Had I not done that I would have been one of those guys you see who complains about injuries all the damn time. I refuse to be that guy. My ego just isnt bigger than my common sense. I will take a year off before I live with chronic pain anytime. I can always do stuff to stay in shape, I just lose some muscle, but it always comes back so I don't worry about it. With fall coming up I'd recommend you cut back and then take off 1 month. See how it feels. Trust me, it's better to take off a month or two now than a year because of surgery and recovery. Most guys are never the same after surgery. To date I've never had a surgery of any kind becuase I listen to my body. I have so many friends with bad this and bad that I just don't get it. They will complain of bicep pain while they do curls with 60 pound dumbbells. Their egos got in the way of their common sense and now they have chronic pain. Don't be one of these guys. You are young and you will bounce back if you rest now. If you tear something you are phuked.
      Yeah it feels like its deep in the center of my shoulder. So what do you advise that I do? Should I do some rotator exercises and go light on shoulder workouts. Is it okay if I continue to do other exercises like bi's/tri's, back & chest? Should I just completely stop working out until the pain is gone, then wait another week or two after that to ensure the healing is complete? What would be the best route? I don't have health insurance so surgery isn't an option anytime soon.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

If it hurts all the time I would personally take off atleast 4weeks from everything. You have to use your delts in too many exercises to just skip shouler day. they are used on chest, back, tricep set up, bicep if you go heavy and swing some, squats when you hold the bar, etc... Shoulders are a very very valuable part of bodybuilding. Imagine if you had shoulder surgery, what would you be able to lift? Practically nothing. So that's what you train, nothing. You can do some cardio in the form of sprints to keep your legs but you have to give up on weight training totally. I can promise you, you don't want a torn rotator. It almost never helas the same as before and you will be plagued by years and years of disappointment due to it. It's better to take off now and make it up later. I would start with one month off and during that month I would ice the delt for 20 minutes 3 times a day for the first week to get the imflamation down faster. Then when 4 weeks are up I would then start with rotator exercises. If they hurt, then do not do chest or back. You can do some light bicep and some light tricep but stay away from heavy compounds. I would stick with the rotator stuff for 4 weeks and ice it for 20 minutes after every workout to get the imflamation down quickly. The exercises will aggitate it but the ice will calm it down. After another 4 weeks if it's still hurting you might have to go see a physical therapists. If you lay off the weights and do your rotator really light after a 4 week rest and it still hurst then you might have already torn it.

Also, if the rotator exercise hurt really bad, then do not do them. Just keep resting. If they hurt just a little or only in one range of motion go very very light and focus on the ROM by going slow. Mine were a little sore when I stated back and that ok, but if they are still in bad pain then dont lift yet. More than likely the ice treatments will speed the healing by reducing the inflamation but dont lift for 3 to 4 weeks after you finsh the week of ice.

That's my suggestion, others might have a different approach but I have been very successsful in avoiding chronic pain or serious injuries by being cautious with pain. There is a difference between soreness and pain. Pain is the body saying something is not right so don't ignore it. It's tough, I know, but better safe than sorry.

Equalizer
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

There is a difference between soreness and pain. Pain is the body saying something is not right so don't ignore it. It's tough, I know, but better safe than sorry.

That is good advice, working through an injury will just lead to a longer lay off in the long run.

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

If it hurts all the time I would personally take off atleast 4weeks from everything. You have to use your delts in too many exercises to just skip shouler day. they are used on chest, back, tricep set up, bicep if you go heavy and swing some, squats when you hold the bar, etc... Shoulders are a very very valuable part of bodybuilding. Imagine if you had shoulder surgery, what would you be able to lift? Practically nothing. So that's what you train, nothing. You can do some cardio in the form of sprints to keep your legs but you have to give up on weight training totally. I can promise you, you don't want a torn rotator. It almost never helas the same as before and you will be plagued by years and years of disappointment due to it. It's better to take off now and make it up later. I would start with one month off and during that month I would ice the delt for 20 minutes 3 times a day for the first week to get the imflamation down faster. Then when 4 weeks are up I would then start with rotator exercises. If they hurt, then do not do chest or back. You can do some light bicep and some light tricep but stay away from heavy compounds. I would stick with the rotator stuff for 4 weeks and ice it for 20 minutes after every workout to get the imflamation down quickly. The exercises will aggitate it but the ice will calm it down. After another 4 weeks if it's still hurting you might have to go see a physical therapists. If you lay off the weights and do your rotator really light after a 4 week rest and it still hurst then you might have already torn it.

Also, if the rotator exercise hurt really bad, then do not do them. Just keep resting. If they hurt just a little or only in one range of motion go very very light and focus on the ROM by going slow. Mine were a little sore when I stated back and that ok, but if they are still in bad pain then dont lift yet. More than likely the ice treatments will speed the healing by reducing the inflamation but dont lift for 3 to 4 weeks after you finsh the week of ice.

That's my suggestion, others might have a different approach but I have been very successsful in avoiding chronic pain or serious injuries by being cautious with pain. There is a difference between soreness and pain. Pain is the body saying something is not right so don't ignore it. It's tough, I know, but better safe than sorry.
      Thanks for the advice. Yeah it hurts only when you move it. I think I'm going to take off like you said. I'll stick to doing light bicep workouts since it doesn't really involve the rotator. I wonder if it was from when I was doing upright rows. When I pulled up it felt like something would snap in my left shoulder. It did that alot and was very painful. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Thanks for the advice. Yeah it hurts only when you move it. I think I'm going to take off like you said. I'll stick to doing light bicep workouts since it doesn't really involve the rotator. I wonder if it was from when I was doing upright rows. When I pulled up it felt like something would snap in my left shoulder. It did that alot and was very painful. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....
      That's why I don't do those anymore. The first time i hurt mine was when I had those in my program. The last time I hurt mine I was doing 275 on militaries and got a little sloppy on form trying to squeeze out an extra rep.