• Join Us!
  • Why is the animal rights movement 99% female?
  • Join Us!

• Get the Fitness Geared Forum App Now!

• Join Us!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why is the animal rights movement 99% female?

Dzone is offline Super Moderator
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 44.0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Why is the animal rights movement 99% female?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Seriously. I am now involved as the result of the 5 month old puppy I recently rescued off of death row. Im kind of one of the leaders of this group who is trying to stop the slaughter at our local shelter. They will kill a dog/cat every chance they get and if its a pitbull, they kill it as soon as the dog catcher drops it off.

So why is it that after going to about 8 meetings , I am the only dude at ever freakin meeting? Do women actually care more about these issues? I post stuff about animals getting killed and the only people who click like are females...wtf???

BABY1 is offline Mrs FUZO
      Overall activity: 0%
      Awards:
      Blog Award
      is is planting seeds

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is the animal rights movement 99% female?

Good for you Dzone!!!! I think many men care just as much but they don't bother. I also think that when women have a cause dear to them they have a drive that is unstoppable! Keep doing what your doing and if you are a leader here, maybe you will see more men coming to the meetings in the future
      Veritas Vos Liberabit

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

If I had gotten into this movement in my younger years, I might have met a better quality of woman and I might still be married LOL

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

brother I was a dog catcher twenty something years ago. I also volunteered for the humane society and rescue league at the same time. i love animals

I can tell you at least in my experience knwing hundreds of dog catchers through the years from classes and networking, they do not want to kill an animal. I can understand your interpretation of what is going on and I have no idea how your animal control works. but I will say for strays by law they must have a holding period regardless. they can be sued if they bring in a pit bull for instance and euthanize it right away without at least having an opportunity for the owner to claim it. (unless it is an owner release and normally they are just a dog left in a back yard and are crazy, not the dog pound's fault)

also euthanization is a horrible by-product of irresponsible owners forced upon an animal control officers if people were responsible there would be no need for a animal shelter. if you keep the animals in the shelter they WILL get sick and with municipality's shoe string budgets for care will die or be euthanized eventually. also how fair is it to keep an animal in a cage on a concrete floor for 8 months r longer waiting for someone to adopt it? What about those dogs were never socialized and are aggressive? they could probably be saved but at a cost of $$$ and MANY hours of intensive work by an experienced trainer and even then that does not mean they will get adopted.

I have euthanized animals. haunts me to this day. but for the most part 95% of the animals we euthed would not be adopted due to breed, age, temperament, health ect. (all of our dogs and cats were rescues and we did have a pitbull which was the best dog of all time)

I am not trying to change your mind as what you are doing is noble. just giving you the other side of the coin. better to work WITH the dog pound to constructively save animals lives than to view them as blood thirsty killers and an enemy.

thanks for your consideration my friend. I wish you the best in your works to help out these critters.
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

6p6 is offline Super Moderator
      Overall activity: 29.0%
      is armed and ready...R U?

I am:
      Wtf

Level

Cool bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
      brother I was a dog catcher twenty something years ago. I also volunteered for the humane society and rescue league at the same time. i love animals

I can tell you at least in my experience knwing hundreds of dog catchers through the years from classes and networking, they do not want to kill an animal. I can understand your interpretation of what is going on and I have no idea how your animal control works. but I will say for strays by law they must have a holding period regardless. they can be sued if they bring in a pit bull for instance and euthanize it right away without at least having an opportunity for the owner to claim it. (unless it is an owner release and normally they are just a dog left in a back yard and are crazy, not the dog pound's fault)

also euthanization is a horrible by-product of irresponsible owners forced upon an animal control officers if people were responsible there would be no need for a animal shelter. if you keep the animals in the shelter they WILL get sick and with municipality's shoe string budgets for care will die or be euthanized eventually. also how fair is it to keep an animal in a cage on a concrete floor for 8 months r longer waiting for someone to adopt it? What about those dogs were never socialized and are aggressive? they could probably be saved but at a cost of $$$ and MANY hours of intensive work by an experienced trainer and even then that does not mean they will get adopted.

I have euthanized animals. haunts me to this day. but for the most part 95% of the animals we euthed would not be adopted due to breed, age, temperament, health ect. (all of our dogs and cats were rescues and we did have a pitbull which was the best dog of all time)

I am not trying to change your mind as what you are doing is noble. just giving you the other side of the coin. better to work WITH the dog pound to constructively save animals lives than to view them as blood thirsty killers and an enemy.

thanks for your consideration my friend. I wish you the best in your works to help out these critters.
      I understand your point of view. But the word euthanasia by definition does not include healthy animals...

Medical Definition of euthanasia. : the act or practice of causing or permitting the death of hopelessly sick or injured individuals (such as persons or domestic animals) in a relatively painless way for reasons of mercy—called also mercy killing.

There was a case this week where the Shelter killed a perfectly good dog who had 6 people begging to adopt him and the local news media went after the shelter. It is now a full blown investigation. What they have been doing at this shelter borders on criminal behavior. Not all shelters are bad, but the one we are dealing with here is killing dogs at an unprecedented rate. Others in the state refer to this shelter as Auschwitz. I spoke to one former employee of this shelter and she told me that more often than not, the decision to kill or not kill a dog depends on the mood that day of this shelter director. Horror stories of killing with an injection straight thru the rib cage into the heart without anesthesia. Others have told stories where this woman has not liked someone and killed their dog intentionally. She will most likely resign or be fired and I will be right there to see that it happens. She has killed thousands of perfectly good dogs and cats and left many families devastated.

Ive yet to meet a dog catcher who is against euthanizing healthy animals. Every one that I meet thinks its okay to kill if a dog acts aggressive while in a cage. Many dog catchers think all pit bulls should be killed...Maybe you are different. But If you believe in killing specific breeds then, by definition, that is NOT euthanizing.

Yohimbe is offline Super Moderator
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Hungry

Level

I feel ya brotha. I'm a huge animal person and it breaks me to no end seeing what some of these animals go through. We walked through a couple shelters when looking for our puppy and it was so hard for me to walk out of each one. Some of them were so eager to see someone, some of them you could tell had a pretty rough life and some of them looked like they had just mentally given up. Broke my heart into pieces. I told my fiance all I wanted to do was just go back in there and save every one of them. Keep doing what you're doing brotha.
      Train Till Your Eyes Bleed!

JsJs24 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
      Overall activity: 0%
      is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

That's awesome Dzone!
      It does seem like more women are active in the movement, but I know a lot of men who do their part through adopting and/or donations. We donate to the local dog charity, but avoid the larger organizations. I don't trust the big ones is all, whereas I am confident our local charity puts the money to good use. I am able to donate directly to the man running the organization, and he actually prefers dog food over cash, so a lot of people just go in the Petco that he sets up at on the weekends, and buy a big bag of dog food. He also makes dog toys and sells them to raise money. I admire anyone willing to dedicate their life to such a cause, and not be in if for the money. I'm all about making money, but not in the name of a charity.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.

jipped genes is offline VET
      Overall activity: 49.0%
      Achievements:
      is El Burro!

I am:
      ----

Level

sounds like your shelter is terrible. but i still think you do not see my point. these animals will stay in a small cage for pretty much the rest of their lives in some cases. euthanasia? seems merciful to me. I understand it is emotional to want to save them all. if you could see it from the other side it may open your eyes seeing these dogs that you want to help and make comfortable languishing in a concrete and chain link "cell". that was far more heartbreaking to me than destroying a 14 year old dog with NO chance of getting adopted.

the humane society and rescue leagues were great but they picked up adoptable animals. they left the scraggly old mutts, rots and pits. it made em crazy being in the "cell" That is torture. but what is the other option?

can't let em run amok, no one will adopt, being in a cage for their life is more cruel IMO than killing em.

i think you see the shelter you deal with and kind of press that model on others in your mind as it is tragic! our shelter adopts 95% of all adoptable dogs impounded. that is really good.

like I said it haunts me but I have a clear conscience as I know i did the right thing. a lot of people came forward and said don't euth these animals but not many folk helped us or adopted them. they left us with the dogs and cats until they went crazy or got sick then screamed at us when we had to destroy them. so do not blame all shelters for one's horrific deeds
      "SHIAT BIOTCH, thats a big ass!"

A clear concience is a sign of a bad memory.

husband of the year

moose riding maple syrup drinking flanel wearing canuck wannabe

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jipped genes View Post
      sounds like your shelter is terrible. but i still think you do not see my point. these animals will stay in a small cage for pretty much the rest of their lives in some cases. euthanasia? seems merciful to me. I understand it is emotional to want to save them all. if you could see it from the other side it may open your eyes seeing these dogs that you want to help and make comfortable languishing in a concrete and chain link "cell". that was far more heartbreaking to me than destroying a 14 year old dog with NO chance of getting adopted.

the humane society and rescue leagues were great but they picked up adoptable animals. they left the scraggly old mutts, rots and pits. it made em crazy being in the "cell" That is torture. but what is the other option?

can't let em run amok, no one will adopt, being in a cage for their life is more cruel IMO than killing em.

i think you see the shelter you deal with and kind of press that model on others in your mind as it is tragic! our shelter adopts 95% of all adoptable dogs impounded. that is really good.

like I said it haunts me but I have a clear conscience as I know i did the right thing. a lot of people came forward and said don't euth these animals but not many folk helped us or adopted them. they left us with the dogs and cats until they went crazy or got sick then screamed at us when we had to destroy them. so do not blame all shelters for one's horrific deeds
      Im not here to argue with you. Im trying to stop the killing of these adoptable animals at our shelter and that is all I am concerned about. Thanks

airagee23 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
      Overall activity: 16.0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Piratey

Level

I absolutely can't stand animal abuse period! Some of the videos on Facebook literally make me tear up at some of the horrific stories. On the euthanasia subject I just feel sad that there's nothing some shelters can do cuz they are just overran with animals. But the ones who kill at the rate of an express lane need to be investigated more. We had a similar situation close to me where they were killing them super fast. Even had people calling to adopt certain ones and before they could get there it was too late. Even after calling which is bullshit. We need tougher laws against animal abuse. But until we can get the law to state that a pet is not just a object/possession but a member of the family then the laws will stay too lenient. I'm a Great Dane owner and lover.

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by airagee23 View Post
      I absolutely can't stand animal abuse period! Some of the videos on Facebook literally make me tear up at some of the horrific stories. On the euthanasia subject I just feel sad that there's nothing some shelters can do cuz they are just overran with animals. But the ones who kill at the rate of an express lane need to be investigated more. We had a similar situation close to me where they were killing them super fast. Even had people calling to adopt certain ones and before they could get there it was too late. Even after calling which is bullshit. We need tougher laws against animal abuse. But until we can get the law to state that a pet is not just a object/possession but a member of the family then the laws will stay too lenient. I'm a Great Dane owner and lover.

We have had numerous cases where someones family dog gets away and ends up killed by the shelter with no wait whatsoever. When the family shows up its "Oh, your dog was viscous so we had to put it down"...This shit is going to stop if I have anything to do with it

This user has no status.

I am:
      Happy

Level
      Blog Entries

airagee23 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 186
      Overall activity: 16.0%
      Achievements:
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Piratey

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Dzone View Post
      We have had numerous cases where someones family dog gets away and ends up killed by the shelter with no wait whatsoever. When the family shows up its "Oh, your dog was viscous so we had to put it down"...This shit is going to stop if I have anything to do with it
      We had a similar case at the shelter in talking about as well. That shelter worker would not live a good life if they did that to my pet lol.