• Join Us!
  • Asprin and Weight Training
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Asprin and Weight Training

bigpopapump
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Asprin and Weight Training

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I've heard that asprin has a negative effect on muscle building. Anyone no why?

prot is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 173
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Aspirin is an anti inflammatory and should have no effect on bodybuilding. It is extremely heart healthy and no one is completely sure why but you need one 325 mg tab a day for this. Baby aspirin is not enough. Also ibuprofen negates the benefits to the heart so should not be taken regularly with aspirin(more than 60 days a year).

Aspirin should the the first drug of choice for anyone worried about heart health and is given after heart attacks to save lives as it thins the blood and has other benefits when combined with heart drugs.

gearjunky is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 369
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

So would it be wise to take 1/day on bulking cycle if its that heart healthy?? or just any type of cycle??
      Gearjunky is only an imaginary character
      I realy weight 135lbs and never used a dumbell in my life.

AnotherUser
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Your response about it being bad for the stomach is vastly overstated. Think of all the old farts who take aspirin EVERY day for 20+ years and have no stomach issues.

If you are over a certain age (not sure exactly what), you should be taking your daily aspirin (there's a certain dose, which I don't recall). If you're relatively young though, there is no need.

AnotherUser
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I never said it wasn't bad on the stomach. I said that that was being overstated in the above post. He made it sound like if you were to take aspirin you were going to have major medical issues.

Wait a second... didn't you just dispense some sort of medical advice.... are you a physician?

rushonahush is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

DAMN!!! NOw i GOta hEADache !!

Hush

husH

AnotherUser
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

haha, no fight. I am just weary that some newbie will read about the aspirin and the stomach, repeat it on every board he gets to, and all of a sudden it will be "fact and common knowledge" because "the mod's said so" that you shouldn't ever use aspirin because it is terrible for your stomach.

My main concern is just that someone will miscontrue (sp?) what was said.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Most people take aspirin with no stomach problems of any kind. Tylonel is terrible for the liver and the worst thing to add to a cycle. 81mg is not enough for heart health according to newest study and physicians are being advided to recommend full 325 mg dose.

Aspirin is a wonder drug and is standard treatment when myocardial infarction is suspected or confirmed....It does thin the blood but AAs often cause clumping of the blood due to increased red blood cell volume.

gearjunky is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 369
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

bump for more info
      Gearjunky is only an imaginary character
      I realy weight 135lbs and never used a dumbell in my life.

drab4
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Any anti-inflammatory can potentially hinder muscle growth.

Only potentially. Inflammation is a necessary part of muscle repair after excercise induced damage. So by reducing inflammation we can slightly hurt our gains.

A painkiller such as paracetamol, which has a lesser anti-inflammatory effect, would be a better choice for the cautious minded, I reckon.

edvedr
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by prot
      Most people take aspirin with no stomach problems of any kind. Tylonel is terrible for the liver and the worst thing to add to a cycle. 81mg is not enough for heart health according to newest study and physicians are being advided to recommend full 325 mg dose.

Aspirin is a wonder drug and is standard treatment when myocardial infarction is suspected or confirmed....It does thin the blood but AAs often cause clumping of the blood due to increased red blood cell volume.
      not that i'm an expert but what prot said was always the way i thought. when i came off a heavy cycle my hdl's were a 9. aspirin and orange juice is what i took and they went to a 60. and when i started that same cycle again my hdl's never went below 40.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I don't want to belabor this but there is a thread on ibuprofen AND tylenol on www.musclechemistry.com by cyberstelfke titled "Did you know this?" it cites astudy on their effect on muscle damage amelioration....possibly interfering with growth.

drab4
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Interesting, looks like you're right Prot..... Just looked this up at PubMed, and paracetamol (acetaminophen) is no better than the other anti-inflammatories despite what I thought before. Looks like the "safest" pain killers for strength athletes might be opitates then - of course they come with their own problems though!

Here are a couple of abstracts on the subject:

Ibuprofen and acetaminophen: effect on muscle inflammation after eccentric exercise.
      Peterson JM, Trappe TA, Mylona E, White F, Lambert CP, Evans WJ, Pizza FX.
      The University of Toledo, Department of Kinesiology, OH 43606, USA.

PURPOSE: We examined the influence of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on muscle neutrophil and macrophage concentrations after novel eccentric contractions. METHODS: Twenty-four males (25 +/- 3 yr) were divided into three groups that received the maximal over-the-counter dose of either ibuprofen (1200 mg x d-1), acetaminophen (4000 mg x d-1), or a placebo after eccentric contractions of the knee extensors. Biopsies from the vastus lateralis were taken before and 24 h after exercise. Inflammatory cells were quantified in muscle cross-sections using immunohistochemistry. RESULTS: Macrophage concentrations were elevated by 1.5- to 2.5-fold (P < 0.05) at 24 h postexercise relative to preexercise concentrations, whereas neutrophil concentrations were not significantly elevated. Muscle inflammatory cell concentrations were unaffected by treatment with ibuprofen or acetaminophen when compared with placebo. CONCLUSIONS: Maximal over-the-counter doses of ibuprofen or acetaminophen, when administered therapeutically, do not affect muscle concentrations of neutrophils or macrophages 24 h after a novel bout of eccentric contractions.

Skeletal muscle PGF(2)(alpha) and PGE(2) in response to eccentric resistance exercise: influence of ibuprofen acetaminophen.
      Trappe TA, Fluckey JD, White F, Lambert CP, Evans WJ.
      Nutrition, Metabolism, and Exercise Laboratory, Donald W. Reynolds Center on Aging, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, 4301 West Markham, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA. trappetodda@uams.edu

PGs have been shown to modulate skeletal muscle protein metabolism as well as inflammation and pain. In nonskeletal muscle tissues, the over the counter analgesic drugs ibuprofen and acetaminophen function through suppression of PG synthesis. We previously reported that ibuprofen and acetaminophen inhibit the normal increase in skeletal muscle protein synthesis after high intensity eccentric resistance exercise. The current study examined skeletal muscle PG levels in the same subjects to further investigate the mechanisms of action of these drugs in exercised skeletal muscle. Twenty-four males (25 +/- 3 yr) were assigned to 3 groups that received the maximal over the counter dose of ibuprofen (1200 mg/d), acetaminophen (4000 mg/d), or a placebo after 10-14 sets of 10 eccentric repetitions at 120% of concentric 1 repetition maximum using the knee extensors. Preexercise and 24 h postexercise biopsies of the vastus lateralis revealed that the exercise-induced change in PGF(2alpha) in the placebo group (77%) was significantly different (P < 0.05) from those in the ibuprofen (-1%) and acetaminophen (-14%) groups. However, the exercise-induced change in PGE(2) in the placebo group (64%) was only significantly different (P < 0.05) from that in the acetaminophen group (-16%). The exercise-induced changes in PGF(2alpha) and PGE(2) were not different between the ibuprofen and acetaminophen groups. These results suggest that ibuprofen and acetaminophen have a comparable effect on suppressing the normal increase in PGF(2alpha) in human skeletal muscle after eccentric resistance exercise, which may profoundly influence the anabolic response of muscle to this form of exercise.

Effect of ibuprofen and acetaminophen on postexercise muscle protein synthesis.
      Trappe TA, White F, Lambert CP, Cesar D, Hellerstein M, Evans WJ.
      Donald W. Reynolds Center on Aging, Department of Geriatrics, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, and the Central Arkansas Veterans HealthCare System, Little Rock, Arkansas 72205, USA. trappetodda@uams.edu

We examined the effect of two commonly consumed over-the-counter analgesics, ibuprofen and acetaminophen, on muscle protein synthesis and soreness after high-intensity eccentric resistance exercise. Twenty-four males (25 +/- 3 yr, 180 +/- 6 cm, 81 +/- 6 kg, and 17 +/- 8% body fat) were assigned to one of three groups that received either the maximal over-the-counter dose of ibuprofen (IBU; 1,200 mg/day), acetaminophen (ACET; 4,000 mg/day), or a placebo (PLA) after 10-14 sets of 10 eccentric repetitions at 120% of concentric one-repetition maximum with the knee extensors. Postexercise (24 h) skeletal muscle fractional synthesis rate (FSR) was increased 76 +/- 19% (P < 0.05) in PLA (0.058 +/- 0.012%/h) and was unchanged (P > 0.05) in IBU (35 +/- 21%; 0.021 +/- 0.014%/h) and ACET (22 +/- 23%; 0.010 +/- 0.019%/h). Neither drug had any influence on whole body protein breakdown, as measured by rate of phenylalanine appearance, on serum creatine kinase, or on rating of perceived muscle soreness compared with PLA. These results suggest that over-the-counter doses of both ibuprofen and acetaminophen suppress the protein synthesis response in skeletal muscle after eccentric resistance exercise. Thus these two analgesics may work through a common mechanism to influence protein metabolism in skeletal muscle.

FUZO is offline FUZO
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Awards:
      Posting Award
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Cool

Level
      Blog Entries

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

just take the aspirin
      Disclaimer: Steroid use is illegal in a vast number of countries around the world. This is not without reason. Steroids should only be used when prescribed by your doctor and under close supervision. Steroid use is not to be taken lightly and we do not in any way endorse or approve of illegal drug use. The information is provided on the same basis as all the other information on this site, as informational/entertainment value.

Please take the time to read these threads!

Fitness Geared Shoutbox rules

FG member signature rules

Fitness Geared Forum Rules

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f334/

https://www.fitnessgeared.com/forum/f283/

https://www.tgbsupplements.com/