• Join Us!
  • ODB-kicks the can
  • ODB-kicks the can
  • ODB-kicks the can
  • ODB-kicks the can
  • ODB-kicks the can
  • ODB-kicks the can
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: ODB-kicks the can

rado
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default ODB-kicks the can

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can

• ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can

SMILEY FACE is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: ODB-kicks the can

yes, i hate that shit, and heard teh story on the way to my work, from doing drugs, i think he was wt teh WU TANG CLAN if i'am not misktaken, very sadddddddd

BM
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Yes I'm heartbroken. I probably won't sleep for at least 5 minutes.

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

LOL!

The guy was in and out of jail all the time. A real loss for society.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

edvedr
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

yeah i loved when he showed up to the welfare office in his limo....sayin how could i not take free money.....hmmm i just can't figure out why our welfare system sucks so bad

rado
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

ODB-kicks the can
      10 Reasons Why ODB Was Cool
      Monday November 15, 2004 @ 03:30 PM
      By: ChartAttack.com Staff

Ol' Dirty Bastard Like the rest of the world, we were shocked to learn that Russell Jones, the rapper best known to the world as Ol' Dirty Bastard, died suddenly on Saturday (November 13) afternoon. ODB was in the studio finishing up his forthcoming solo album when he suddenly collapsed. He was dead by the time paramedics arrived. Although Jones had reportedly been complaining of chest pains in the days leading up to his death, an official cause of death has yet to be determined. Russell Jones would have celebrated his 36th birthday today (November 15).

ODB led a colourful life that was too often marred by addiction and trouble with the law, but despite his problems, he was one of the most intriguing figures on the '90s hip-hop scene. Rather than dwell on the tragedy of his early demise, we here at ChartAttack would prefer to celebrate the man's talent and personality. Here are our Top 10 Reasons Why ODB Was Cool.

1. ODB formed The Wu-Tang Clan in the early '90s with his cousins RZA and The Genius, who shared his love for hip-hop and kung-fu. Although the Clan grew into a huge collective, ODB always stood out — both with his style on the mic and his irreverent personality.

2. The nicknames. Rather than take one moniker and stick with it, Russell Jones worked as ODB, Big Baby Jesus, Dirt McGirt, Joe Bannanas, Osirus, Unique Ason and a handful of other monikers. It was all part of the ODB mystique.

3. While ODB's off-kilter vocals put a few faint-hearted fans off, his rapping was as original as his persona was. Sometimes singing, sometimes speaking and always sounding more than a little unstable, there was nothing about this rapper that sounded copied or fake. In fact, he named himself Ol' Dirty Bastard, since there was no father to his style.

4. ODB rose to mainstream fame (or, perhaps more accurately, infamy) when he crashed the stage at the 1998 Grammy Awards as singer Shawn Colvin gave an acceptance speech. Dirty, who was clad in a bright red suit, proceeded to protest the fact that P. Diddy (then still known as Puff Daddy) beat out Wu-Tang in the hip-hop category. At the very least, ODB figured he should be acknowledged for his fancy new outfit.

5. The man was handy with a soundbite and knew how to pull off a good publicity stunt. During his Grammy outburst, he yelped "Wu-Tang is for the children!" which became a bit of a mantra. In reality, ODB claimed to have fathered at least 13 children of his own. While we wouldn't recommend than anyone haphazardly spread their seed (and Jones did have his fair share of legal trouble over failure to pay child support), he should at least be given props for recognizing his paternity. In 1994, Dirty famously loaded his brood into a limo and made his way to the welfare office to collect food stamps — all while being tailed by an MTV camera crew.

6. While Dirty was best known for his work with the Wu, his solo work is pretty hot. Take a listen to Return To The 36 Chambers or Nigga Please — they're both awesome and more than prove that ODB was way more than a novelty and that he could indeed carry a full album on his own.

7. He was a diverse artist that was able to adapt to new situations. ODB had a hit dueting with Mariah Carey on "Fantasy" and recently recorded a cover of Elton John and Kiki Dee's classic "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Macy Gray. And don't forget his version of "Sussudio," which appeared on that hip-hop/R&B Phil Collins tribute a few years back.

8. While ODB's trouble with the law is nothing to make light of, his adventures as a fugitive are testament to his maverick spirit. After a string of offenses, Jones was sentenced to court-mandated rehab in 1999. After serving almost a year in the program, he made a jail break and spent a month on the lam. While on the run, he did a bit of recording and, astonishingly, appeared on stage with the Wu-Tang Clan in New York before being caught and later sentenced to two years in jail.

9. Despite his tumultuous legal history, once out of jail, ODB (who was allegedly off drugs at the time of his death) put his nose to the grindstone and got to work. He held a press conference to announce his comeback (and his new name: Dirt McGirt) and began working on a new album. He was also working on an album with Brooklyn Zoo, a new DVD and a reality show for Spike TV. The new album was reportedly near completion when ODB died and will likely be released within the next year.

10. Ol' Dirty Bastard was, without hyperbole, a truly unique artist and human being. Despite his troubles, he injected a sense of drama and humour into everything he did without being thuggish or violent. Without him, the music scene will be a far less colourful place. He will be truly missed.

edvedr
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can

• ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can
      • ODB-kicks the can