• Join Us!
  • Muscle Tiger & other Martial Artists
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle Tiger & other Martial Artists

Sachet is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 113
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Muscle Tiger & other Martial Artists

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

What type of Martial Arts class would you recommend for women & girls to take for self defense reasons?

Disposable_Hero
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I think a womens self defence class would be best. You learn how to deal with real situations...

D_H

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Chemical Evolution
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Jiu-Jitsu, Tekwondo or Kung-fu are all good for women.
      Personally i do Jiu-Jitsu and Gensei-Rye Karate

MuscleTiger
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I would have to disagree on doing stuff like Tae kwon do,karate and kung fu,from my 16 yrs.of martial arts I seriously believe that traditional arts are useless for self-defense,because half the time they study doing what is called katas(forms-pre-arranged movements).

If you want true self-defense take something that is the closest to a real fight,like what you see in UFC,where basically everything goes.

I take Pankration,which is similar to Shooto Fighting or Savate,in Pankration,you use jabs,upper cuts,hooks,elbows,shins,knee kicks(to chest,head or jaw),leg locks,knee locks,elbows locks,shoulder locks,flips,foot sweeps,arm bars,punching to the face while guy is on the ground,and alot more.Pankration is based solely on street-defense,no beating around the bush crap like most traditional arts.

Pankration is about technique,speed,power and taking the guy out as quickly as possible.

Pankration is great for everyone,male or female,adults or children,doesn't matter.

Pankration doesn't believe in pulling back on punches and kicks as traditional arts do,in Pankration it's full contact,no bullshit point sparring.On the street it isn't about points,it's about taking the person out before he gets a chance to take you out.

Most arts teach about defense but never the offensive side.In order to defend you have to know what it's like to be on the offensive side.

So if you want a self-defense course look for school that teaches street defense that involves actual contact.Don't limit yourself to just basic karate kicks,punches and blocks.

We don't waste our time with forms we go straight to learning techniques to attack and to defend ourselves both stand up or grappling.

Punching in the air doesn't do anything,and that's exactly what kata is.In a real fight you're not going to be punching air or trying to get all fancy with kicks like those in Tae Kwon Do,which may look cool,but that's all it is show.

Pankration=MuayThai Kickboxing & Submission Wrestling.

If you live in BC,close to Coquitlam or Port Moody check out this school site https://www.gibsonpankration.com

MuscleTiger
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Don't be offended by above statement,I'm just giving the knowledge of martial arts to those who have never done it before,so they don't waist their time .My experience tells how it is.If you want to learn self-defense,you have to think realistically or you're wasting your money and time.

MuscleTiger
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by Chemical Evolution
      Jiu-Jitsu, Tekwondo or Kung-fu are all good for women.
      Personally i do Jiu-Jitsu and Gensei-Rye Karate
      The only realistic art you've mentioned is Jujitsu.Stuff like Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu and Karate are a waist of time.

I took karate for 12yrs.,ya sure it was fun when I was younger and didn't know much better,I thought all arts taught forms and that 's the way it 's supposed to be.I figured these instructor have to know what they're doing or they couldn't be teaching their martial arts.I used think because it's traditional,everything I was learning was realistic.

The truth is traditional arts may be fun,they keep you in shape no doubt,teach balance,give you co-ordination and focus like any other art ,but as far as self-defense is concerned only 60% (if even)of the stuff you'll learn would actually help in a real situation.

Other arts that solely teach self-defense ,such as MuayThai Kickboxing,Submission Wrestling, Jujitsu, Pankration, Shooto, Savate,Judo,and a few others are actually realistic.

I would have to say about 95% of the stuff you learn in mixed non-traditional arts would work,compared to the 60% in traditional arts.

Traditional arts can actually sometimes do more damage then good in a self-defense situation.

Go in a karate horse stance and I'd kick you in the groin or sweep your legs from under you.The stance in traditional arts are a waist of time and slow you down compared to natural fighting stance as used in Boxing.

That's the reason why you'd never see a karate person or tae kwon do person fighting in UFC unless they also knew other arts that weren't traditional,because traditional arts alone won't help you in UFC and wouldn't help you on street either.

The sad,but truth is that most traditional arts instructors (senseis)know how to teach the forms they 've learnt but don't even know the application to the forms,so what good does that do for the student.The teachers before them were often like that too.

AndyJ26
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Muscle Tiger, it seems like you know your stuff really well.

I have done in my life 9 years of Tae Kwon Do and could safely say that it is some of the last stuff I would use in a street fight/defence situation.

The last 2 years I have done Brasilian Jiu Jitsu, along with some Muay Thai. We work a lot of 'real' situations, sparring and have also fought in many unofficial UFC style matches with fellow trainers.

For women, lets be serious, there aren't too many women who could stand and throw down with a guy. They need to know some ground defence, as this is where they will more than likely be within seconds. A knowledge of the guard and quick chokes is definitely desirable.

Chemical Evolution
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Well tiger i have to agree with you, most of the stuff you learn whont do you any good IRL. but if you've never throw a punch then why learn it thru karete? and then combine the Offencive parts (punches kicks etc) with the close combat training that you get from Jiu-Jitsu.
      Personally i dont give a S*** for the kata only the combat training witch is why i combine the 2.

BTW what are your wievs on Aikido???

The Syndicate is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 188
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Ju jitsu
      " To me, being a gangster was better than being president of the united states" ( Goodfellas)

dogfacedreap
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Satchet,
      The advise muscle tiger gave was very good, but I think Krav Maga would bea great sytstem for any woman to learn I am a black belt in Brazillian Jiu-jitsu and Kosho Shorei Kenpo Karate and while jiu-jitsu is the best and most complete art out there it can be very dificult to get proficient enough to use it effeictively. Krav Maga however is the israeli militarys system and it is very easy to learn and works very well. YOu would be able to learn it from one of the video series that are out if you watched them closely and worked through each move, setup, strike with a partner. Just type Krav Maga into your search engine and it will come up read about it and see what you think.

SEXYBEAST
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Chutebox!

Blackfoot is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 494
      Achievements:
      First 1000 Experience PointsGot three Friends
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

IMO choose which art you like the best. All martial arts, whether it's Judo, Karate, Tae Kwo Do, or Krav Maga have some validity. Incidently, the forms teach precision, accuracy, and proper footwork. Combine that with an almost natural reaction and you should be able to get out of most situations in a hurry. The most important thing is to enjoy and trust your chosen art as well as your instincts. Peace.

solorp
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Aikido may be a wise choice as well.
      Truely a defensive art however.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

WoW!
      Thank you for taking the time to respond, MuscleTiger & everybody!
      May I have your permission to use your advice on one of my boards in another forum?