• Join Us!
  • New computer...build or buy?
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: New computer...build or buy?

tn94z is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Default New computer...build or buy?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

So the time is coming that we are going to need a new pc. We have laptop now but it is crazy slow and has been upgraded a few times. I have an old desktop that is about the same way. So, I have been toying with the idea of building a desktop myself. I know you can get one pretty close to the same price from Dell or whatever now, but then you are stuck with buying parts from them, all the unwanted software that is on them, and it seems that when it the end of life on the those shows up, you are dead in the water instead of being able to upgrade a home built unit.

What are your opinions on this subject?
      "He woke up because I kept punching him in the face." --Thiago Alves

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

alluprbdy
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Re: New computer...build or buy?

tiger direct

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Are you talking for parts on the pc pre-built?

"I'm telling you, once your car's been stolen, it never runs the same again. It's like a guy sleeping with your girl. He leaves his mark all over her."- Drama (Entourage)

alluprbdy
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

weather your buy a built one or buy the kits, they have the best prices imo. You save minimal amount of cash buying the kits so I would just buy it together to save the time and hassle.

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ts-_-Spot%2002

barebone kits

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by alluprbdy View Post
      weather your buy a built one or buy the kits, they have the best prices imo. You save minimal amount of cash buying the kits so I would just buy it together to save the time and hassle.

https://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ts-_-Spot%2002

barebone kits

I agree you save minimal. I am just the type of person that would like to build one myself just for the experience though. Thanks for the link

alluprbdy
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

ya I would f it up so Id prefer the buy complete approach, not much of a pc guy.

brody13
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I just built a computer about 8 months ago from newegg.com. I personally couldnt have gotten close to what I have now if I bought it rebuilt, but know you are also going to have to buy an operating system if you build as well. I got the student discount at the time so got windows 7 for 20 bucks. I suggest doing your research however before you build to make sure the graphics card and motherboard are properly compatible as well as making sure you find all the components you will need (for ex my graphics card needed some special cable that took me a while to find). You will also need to make sure you buy a case with a powerful enough power supply to support whatever components you buy. Its actually pretty fun building one though.

New camera and computer, going all out I see!

This user has no status.

I am:
      Geeky

Level

Quote Originally Posted by brody13 View Post
      I just built a computer about 8 months ago from newegg.com. I personally couldnt have gotten close to what I have now if I bought it rebuilt, but know you are also going to have to buy an operating system if you build as well. I got the student discount at the time so got windows 7 for 20 bucks. I suggest doing your research however before you build to make sure the graphics card and motherboard are properly compatible as well as making sure you find all the components you will need (for ex my graphics card needed some special cable that took me a while to find). You will also need to make sure you buy a case with a powerful enough power supply to support whatever components you buy. Its actually pretty fun building one though.

New camera and computer, going all out I see!

Yeah, I will for sure read up on compatibility with everything once I start picking out parts. My wife is a student, so maybe she can get a discount on the OS as well. The camera is something that I have wanted for a while. It may have to wait a little longer because I have some bills that need to be paid and we would use the computer more frequently than the camera. As long as I can get the camera some time within the next 9 months (for sure want it before the baby is born) then I am good with that. I was asking about it because my wife was wanting to take pictures of her progression through the pregnancy. She informed me last night that she has decided she doesn't want to do that...so the camera can wait. It will basically just boil down to pricing the computer and seeing how it compares to the cameras and then deciding which one to buy. It sounds like I am going all out, but something will be sacrificed for the time being

JsJs24 is offline Platinum
      Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 17
      is web surfing

I am:
      Awesome

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

I would buy one already built unless you just enjoy building one, like it sounds. Whatever route you choose you should consider running Linux as your operating system since you would like to save money. Linux is free, and has come a long way. I run Ubuntu and like it far better than Windows. I have a dual boot with Windows 7 but rarely use Windows.

When it comes to upgrades I don't see why you couldn't upgrade a store bought computer such as Dell, Sony, etc. All of the components are made by other companies. None of the components are actually made by the manufacturer of the computer other than the keyboard, mouse, and monitor perhaps.
      Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. George Washington

I do not condone the use of, nor do I use anabolic or androgenic steroids. My participation on these boards is for informational purposes only. I have done extensive research of AAS and enjoy discussing them for role playing enjoyment.