• Join Us!
  • U.S. Building Massive Embassy in Baghdad
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: U.S. Building Massive Embassy in Baghdad

zitech is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 157
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default U.S. Building Massive Embassy in Baghdad

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Whatcha think about the below project??? I can never stop amazing at the brains of the US government!!!

U.S. Building Massive Embassy in Baghdad

By CHARLES J. HANLEY, AP Special Correspondent
      Fri Apr 14, 4:58 PM ET

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The fortress-like compound rising beside the Tigris River here will be the largest of its kind in the world, the size of Vatican City, with the population of a small town, its own defense force, self-contained power and water, and a precarious perch at the heart of Iraq's turbulent future.

The new U.S. Embassy also seems as cloaked in secrecy as the ministate in Rome.

"We can't talk about it. Security reasons," Roberta Rossi, a spokeswoman at the current embassy, said when asked for information about the project.

A British tabloid even told readers the location was being kept secret — news that would surprise Baghdadis who for months have watched the forest of construction cranes at work across the winding Tigris, at the very center of their city and within easy mortar range of anti-U.S. forces in the capital, though fewer explode there these days.

The embassy complex — 21 buildings on 104 acres, according to a U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee report — is taking shape on riverside parkland in the fortified "Green Zone," just east of al-Samoud, a former palace of Saddam Hussein's, and across the road from the building where the ex-dictator is now on trial.

The Republican Palace, where U.S. Embassy functions are temporarily housed in cubicles among the chandelier-hung rooms, is less than a mile away in the 4-square-mile zone, an enclave of American and Iraqi government offices and lodgings ringed by miles of concrete barriers.

The 5,500 Americans and Iraqis working at the embassy, almost half listed as security, are far more numerous than at any other U.S. mission worldwide. They rarely venture out into the "Red Zone," that is, violence-torn Iraq.

This huge American contingent at the center of power has drawn criticism.

"The presence of a massive U.S. embassy — by far the largest in the world — co-located in the Green Zone with the Iraqi government is seen by Iraqis as an indication of who actually exercises power in their country," the International Crisis Group, a European-based research group, said in one of its periodic reports on Iraq.

State Department spokesman Justin Higgins defended the size of the embassy, old and new, saying it's indicative of the work facing the United States here.

"It's somewhat self-evident that there's going to be a fairly sizable commitment to Iraq by the U.S. government in all forms for several years," he said in Washington.

Higgins noted that large numbers of non-diplomats work at the mission — hundreds of military personnel and dozens of FBI agents, for example, along with representatives of the Agriculture, Commerce and other U.S. federal departments.

They sleep in hundreds of trailers or "containerized" quarters scattered around the Green Zone. But next year embassy staff will move into six apartment buildings in the new complex, which has been under construction since mid-2005 with a target completion date of June 2007.

Iraq's interim government transferred the land to U.S. ownership in October 2004, under an agreement whose terms were not disclosed.

"Embassy Baghdad" will dwarf new U.S. embassies elsewhere, projects that typically cover 10 acres. The embassy's 104 acres is six times larger than the United Nations compound in New York, and two-thirds the acreage of Washington's National Mall.

Original cost estimates ranged over $1 billion, but Congress appropriated only $592 million in the emergency Iraq budget adopted last year. Most has gone to a Kuwait builder, First Kuwaiti Trading & Contracting, with the rest awarded to six contractors working on the project's "classified" portion — the actual embassy offices.

Higgins declined to identify those builders, citing security reasons, but said five were American companies.

The designs aren't publicly available, but the Senate report makes clear it will be a self-sufficient and "hardened" domain, to function in the midst of Baghdad power outages, water shortages and continuing turmoil.

It will have its own water wells, electricity plant and wastewaster-treatment facility, "systems to allow 100 percent independence from city utilities," says the report, the most authoritative open source on the embassy plans.

Besides two major diplomatic office buildings, homes for the ambassador and his deputy, and the apartment buildings for staff, the compound will offer a swimming pool, gym, commissary, food court and American Club, all housed in a recreation building.

Security, overseen by U.S. Marines, will be extraordinary: setbacks and perimeter no-go areas that will be especially deep, structures reinforced to 2.5-times the standard, and five high-security entrances, plus an emergency entrance-exit, the Senate report says.

Higgins said the work, under way on all parts of the project, is more than one-third complete.

___

Klash is offline Elite FG Resident
      Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 184
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Re: U.S. Building Massive Embassy in Baghdad

My god, that has got to make the "insurgents" feel a little insignificant. The only thing its missing is a runway - maybe they just forgot to mention it.

O2BESOHUGE is offline ADMINISTRATOR
      Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
      This user has no status.

I am:
      Awesome

Level

IT'L GET BLOWN UP ANYWAY
      ..“Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same.”

DJDIGGLER
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Yeah not the brightest if you ask me. But then again I bet they won't let anyone get withone 1000 yards of that thing without an OK!

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by O2BESOHUGE
      IT'L GET BLOWN UP ANYWAY
      I doubt anyone is getting within 10 miles of that thing and when it's done, I'm sure they will be able to strike anyone that's within 10 miles of it.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

Phreak is offline Senior Resident
      Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 157
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

is anyone actually surprised by this?

LOL
      so fresh and so clean clean

T-Man007 is offline Elite Senior Resident
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Quote Originally Posted by nishnish
      is anyone actually surprised by this?

LOL
      Nope!

Look, Bush isn't perfect and we all know his family is in oil. So, why not have a position at your invested interest? Of course, what will screw it up is if we get another 'turn the other cheek' ***** ass democrat in office and they will under staff the embassy and then it will suffer an attack.

If there is one thing I respect about Bush it's that he is the same kind of ass kicker that the people who built this great country were. Washington was an ass kicker, period. If this country would have started out with a bunch of liberal idiots we would still be bowing to a King. Liberals don't fight, they talk. Well, talk is cheap when you dealing with unstable people who have been taught to hate you for your beliefs.

That's my opinion, but I agree, I'm not surprised by this at all.
      I used to have superhuman powers....until my therapist took them away.

zitech is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 157
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Man007
      Nope!

Look, Bush isn't perfect and we all know his family is in oil. So, why not have a position at your invested interest? Of course, what will screw it up is if we get another 'turn the other cheek' ***** ass democrat in office and they will under staff the embassy and then it will suffer an attack.

If there is one thing I respect about Bush it's that he is the same kind of ass kicker that the people who built this great country were. Washington was an ass kicker, period. If this country would have started out with a bunch of liberal idiots we would still be bowing to a King. Liberals don't fight, they talk. Well, talk is cheap when you dealing with unstable people who have been taught to hate you for your beliefs.

That's my opinion, but I agree, I'm not surprised by this at all.

I am not an american but I want to ask you, if you love Bush so much for his ass kicking policies, why don;t you go to Iraq and kick some ass there??