• Join Us!
  • Diabetics?
  • Diabetics?
  • Diabetics?
  • Diabetics?
  • Diabetics?
  • Diabetics?
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetics?

goliath is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 274
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Default Diabetics?

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?

• Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      Any of you bro's diabetic? I have been having a lot of diabetic symtoms lately and I just found out that my fathers side of the family, my uncles, dad, and grandfather are all insulin dependant diabetics. I'm gonna go get it check when I go in for my next check up. The thing that worries me is the fact that I have NEVER known any diabetics that were in even semi-good shape. When I think of a diabetic, I think of a big fat slob. If it turns out that I am diabetic, I don't want it to affect my body-building lifestyle. I want to stay lean! Anyone here diabetic or know any BBers that are diabetic? I'm not talking about 200lb guys that call themselves BBers either. I'm talking about true BBers. Anyone?
      My addictions are more bizarre by far than digging holes in my arms - My
      weirdness goes beyond skin deep, I'm a freak, I'm a geek, I bite the Meak .

goliath.jr@cyber-rights.net
      DO NOT ASK ME FOR A SOURCE. I AM NOT A SOURCE AND I DON'T KNOW ANY.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

bump. Anyone?

jack hust
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

bump for ya bro i would get a check up asap

pudgy is offline Elite Senior Resident
      Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 390
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

no but i say i will say iam to the pharmicist when i stop growing

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Nobody!? Shit this is not good!

bigjim33
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

bump

The_Tall_Man is offline Rookie Member
      Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 291
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

I may be wrong but is'nt Tim Belknap a diabetic? I seem to remember an article in Flex a while back about him and his diabetes.

Lift Chief
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

There are some very successful diabetic bodybuilders... you can manipulate your insulin dose to provide anabolic effects.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Well, I hope I'm not, but if I am - at least I'll get a script for slin. I don't know much about it - guess it's time to start reading...

alwayzgrowing
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by teekahty
      dude I have 2 in my store but neither work out at all they do is cardio and such but they are not big fat slobs at all , and maybe i am wrong but I thought big lou ferrigno was diabetic
      i think your correct about ferrigno. i think i remember reading in an interview with him he was.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      "Diabetes is a disease, it is not contagious regardless whether of it is through air or through blood. It is a decease in which your glucose (blood sugar) is either to high or to too low."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Bodybuilder, Jeremy Keough

Okay now its time for me to talk about something serious. Something that happens to millions of men and women across the nation, diabetes. Does anyone even know what it is? I feel that this subject has been ignored for a while. Diabetes is a disease, it is not contagious regardless whether of it is through air or through blood. It is a disease in which your glucose (blood sugar) is either too high or to too low.

Type 1 Diabetes

Diabetes comes in two forms; the first one (diabetes 1) is when the pancreas produces none or a little bit of insulin. If the pancreas is too low on insulin then it cannot provide you with enough glucose. Glucose (along with any other sugar) breaks down and gives you energy. The islets of langerhans (glands in pancreas that provide insulin) are just about dead. The pancreas also develops various types of hormones. The cells in the pancreas that make insulin are called beta cells, which are destroyed. This is why people with diabetes 1 are low on it. It takes months for someone to officially be diagnosed with diabetes. Despite of what people think, eating an excessive amount of sweets does not cause this disease. In most cases people receive this by genetics. If your mother or father have it you may also, not definitely though. Most diabetics are obese (overweight) most of the time it is only because excessive hunger is a sign of the disease. The only treatment out right now is insulin. Insulin is not a cure! It is more like a supplement that helps control the disease. You have to inject it into your skin and a doctor prescribes it. The best defense against complications is taking good care of your diabetes. Keeping your blood sugar levels near the normal range will make you feel better now. It will help you out in the future.

Type 2 Diabetes

Now we're on to diabetes type 2. This is the more common type of diabetes among young teens and adults. In type two the cells are there but just ignoring the insulin. Right away, your cells may be starved for energy. Over time, high blood sugar levels may hurt your eyes, kidneys, nerves, or heart. Meal planning, exercising, and losing weight can or will help you out little by little. Exercising can make your blood sugar raise a little. Entering a weight-loss program will help you eat fewer calories. Your doctor may have you take insulin shots or pills. Usually they prescribe the pills to see how they work out.

The way insulin is injected is:

Step 1: Sterilize bottle
      Step 2. Fill syringe with air
      Step 3. Inject air into bottle
      Step 4. Fill with insulin
      Step 5. Put needle carefully into skin and inject.
      The needle is very thin and lubricated so it will not be too painful. These instructions I gave you are not to be abused in any way whatsoever. Only use insulin if you are diagnosed as a diabetic or if a doctor prescribes it to you for any other symptom.

All diabetics receive a symptom called hypoglycemia. Part of living with diabetes is learning to cope with some of the problems that go along with having the disease. Hypoglycemia is one of those problems. Hypoglycemia happens from time to time to everyone who has diabetes. Hypoglycemia can happen even during those times when you're doing all you can to control your diabetes. So, although many times you can't prevent it from happening, hypoglycemia can be treated before it gets worse. For this reason, it's important to know what hypoglycemia is, what its symptoms are, and how to treat it.

Hypoglycemia
      Hypoglycemia happens mostly while exercising. When you exercise your blood sugar drops and gets you into this stage of diabetes. To help this you could bring a roll of lifesavers candy or about 2 tbs. of raisins with you. This will make your blood sugar raise a little bit and it will be there just in case. A suggestion I have for you is to check your glucose level before and after bodybuilding, your doctor will tell you what it should be since everyone is supposed to have different levels. If you happen to sweat more suddenly, feel hungry, anxious or shaky at all stop right away. Follow your doctor's advice on how to treat hypoglycemia. Sure I would recommend bodybuilding to anyone, but how do I know if it's right for you? I don't. Check with your local health care provider before starting any type of exercise.

Ketoacidosis (key-toe-ass-i-DOE-sis) is a serious condition that can lead to diabetic coma (passing out for a long time) or even death. Ketoacidosis may happen to people with type one diabetes. Ketoacidosis does not occur in people with type two diabetes. However, some people, especially older people, with type 2 diabetes may experience a different serious condition. It's called hyperosmolar nonketotic coma (hi-per-oz-MOE-lar non- key-TOT-ick KO-ma). This chart shows how someone works up to a hyperosmolar nonkietotic coma.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Holy shit.

After reading that and a little more on the web, I am 99% sure that I am diabetic. Sometimes I have to takes apples to the gym with me. I thought it was just because my workouts are VERY intense. After doing a little reading though - I think it's hypoglycemia. I get very light headed, goose bumps, cold sweat, feel like I'm going to pass out - above all, I feel like if I don't eat something like an apple/bannana or some sweet fruit right away that I am going to faint. I eat an apple - then I'm ok not even 20 min later. Shit - I think I'm going to make an appoinment early next week. Thanks for the info Pudgy.

Man, I'm really scared now. Surely it's possible to control and stay big and lean. I just don't want my lifestyle to have to change.

kblake is offline FG Newbie
      Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 147
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

hey Goliath, I don't know if I can help you but Iam diabetic. Insulin dependent. I have had diabetes for 17 years. I do use anabolic steroids and growth hormone. I am not a fat slob, but I do watch what I eat. PM me if there is anything I can help you with. I am not a competitive bodybuilder I just love lifting weights. It along woth cardio is grat for diabetes. I do not have any dibetic side effects ie. bad eyes , bad kidneys, bad circulation, etc. I see my doctor about 4 or 5 times a year.

Diabetic_Dragon
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Default Diabetic Info

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?

• Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      • Diabetics?
      I was diagnosed with type 1 on 9/12/01... yup after the WTC. I worked right across the street at WFC. I had no history of the disease in my family, I have never taken AS. The only suspect thing I ever did was Bodyopus during college. I did it hard core to man... waking up every 2 hours on the weekends to get my carbo loads maxed out. It worked really well for me. Being a college football player I never even thought about doing AS since we were tested so much. Anyway enough with the rambling.... if any of you want some advice on the symtoms give me a shout... PEACE. :p

BTW I am very excited to have come across this board.... everything I have been reading so far has been extremely helpful... great job!!!