• Join Us!
  • ALA causing Ketostixs false positive readings???
  • Join Us!

• Get the Fitness Geared Forum App Now!

• Join Us!
  • Join Us!
  • You have 1 new Private Message Attention Guest, if you are not a member of Fitness Geared - Body Building & Fitness Community, you have 1 new private message waiting, to view it you must fill out this form.
  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Depressed
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrased
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Godly
  • Happy
  • Hateful
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Thanks Thanks:  0
    Likes Likes:  0
    Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALA causing Ketostixs false positive readings???

CubanJuice
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Question ALA causing Ketostixs false positive readings???

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Has anybody heard of ALA causing false positive readings on Ketostixs?
      I've been on a Keto diet for 3 wks doing great. I just ran out of ALA and didn't take it for 2-3 days. Now all of the sudden my strips come negative for ketones. My water intake is the same, exercise level the same and food intake is the same. The only thing different is the ALA.

1- Either the ALA was doing such a good job that whatever little carbs I was eating (15g /d) were not affecting ketosis.
      2- The ALA was giving me a false positive readings while taking it.

I'm confused now please help.

Txs
      Cubanjuice

goliath.jr is offline FG Resident
      Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 250
      Overall activity: 0%
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

ALA flushes liver glycogen, so it's possible that it was keeping you in ketosis even though you are getting more carbs than you think. post your daily diet. you must be getting more carbs from somewhere...
      The burden of originality is one that most people don't want to accept. They'd rather sit in front of the TV and let that tell them what they are suppose to like, what they're suppose to buy, and what they're suppose to laugh at. You have Beavis and Butthead telling you what music you're allowed to like and not like, and you've got sitcoms that have canned laughter that lets you know when to laugh if you're too stupid to know when the joke is. People are too lazy and too stupid to think for themselves because America has raised them that way.

mod @ superiormuscle.com

CubanJuice
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Yes I most definitelly am.

Scrambled eggs/cheese/ham. (4egg whites 1 whole egg, 2oz ham, 1.5oz sun-dried tomato/parsil swiss cheese) (2g carbs)

Low carb Myplex MRP (9g carbs)

2 pork shisk kabob glazed with a small amount of bbq sause (4g carb)

Isopure 0 carb shake

2 3oz cooked cheese burgers (home made 93% lean beef) (<1g carb)

2 sugar free jellos w/ 2oz of swizz chees and 1oz of ham. (2g carb)

So I'm eating about 18g of carbs. In 3 wks lost 5 pounds and 2 inches off my waist already.

Just to be safe I went and bought some more ALA...

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

i don't see any more carbs there than what you reported.

18 grams is low enough that you should be in ketosis with no problem. are you drinking something with sugar in it maybe? are you consuming very large ammounts of water? if you drink a lot of water, it will cause ketostix to show only trace ketones. also - if you are testing yourself post workout, your ketone count will be much lower than other times as well since they are burned off by exercise. even if you only show 'trace' ammounts, that is still ok. it's actually ideal...
      The burden of originality is one that most people don't want to accept. They'd rather sit in front of the TV and let that tell them what they are suppose to like, what they're suppose to buy, and what they're suppose to laugh at. You have Beavis and Butthead telling you what music you're allowed to like and not like, and you've got sitcoms that have canned laughter that lets you know when to laugh if you're too stupid to know when the joke is. People are too lazy and too stupid to think for themselves because America has raised them that way.

mod @ superiormuscle.com

bigjim33
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

even without ala, you should be in ketosis at 18g/day

CubanJuice
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I drink about a gallon a day. I drink water and sometimes diet 7up caffeine free. I always test myself around the same time throughout the day so I pretty much know what to expect at each time.
      The interesting thing is that about 1.5 hours ago I took 200mg of ALA and I'm already testing positive for ketones....

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

hrm...that's wierd.

mod @ superiormuscle.com

CubanJuice
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Oh and another thing that tells me I'm on ketosis is my energy level. It's super high and steady throughout the day. I don't feel very hungry all the time like before dieting. An there is the obvious. Lost 5lbs and 2 in off my waist. No muscle or strenght loss either.
      Perhaps that's why I was seeing a lot of lather when I peed (the sugar being excreted by the ALA in my urine).

Manic Behavior is offline Established Member
      Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 154
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

ALA at high doses always puts me into ketosis, even when I'm consuming alot of carbs. I just started r-ala today, hopefully it will be better than regular ALA.
      Disclaimer: Manic Behavior is not a real person, he is only a figment of your imagination. This post is not even real.

Do NOT mess with a suburbanite, cuz we're just not going to take it anymore.

manicbehavior@cyber-rights.net

smalls is offline Established Resident
      Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 399
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Well one of the problems I see is way to little fat. Your doing a keto diet right? Cuz it looks like a low carb, low fat, high protein diet. Which in a lot of people will not result in ketosis, it will result in high levels of gluconeogenesis going on in your liver. Just cause your not eating carbs doesnt mean you will be in ketosis.

Also did you go right into that calorie intake or lower it down from what your where eating cuz the very little muscle I have would fall off of me with that little cal intake. Be carefull man you dont want to be losing muscle (but then again my genetics love to gain fat and lose muscle). Anyway, that might be the problem. As far as why ALA fixed that I dont know.

But I am NO keto expert so other people tell me what ya think.
      "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
      Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
      alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
      Calvin Collidge (1872-1933)
      30th U.S. President

johnsonpride81@cyber-rights.com

smalls is offline Established Resident
      Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 399
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Level

Also if sugar is in your urine you are in a bad way. So the lather might have just been a different result of ALA.
      "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
      Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
      alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
      Calvin Collidge (1872-1933)
      30th U.S. President

johnsonpride81@cyber-rights.com

CubanJuice
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Smalls what do you mean if sugar is in your urine you are in a bad way? Am I going to die or something J/k My calories have been lower than my usual maintain diet. If I don't cut the cals back in a keto diet I just don't loss weight since my job is rather sedentary.
      I eat high proteins and high fats. All the cheese and stake I eat has plenty of fat. Right now, after starting taking ALA, I'm back testing positive on the ketostixs at trace levels which is where I wanted to be. Pounds keep coming off and pant keep fiting looser! Got to love it! Perhaps you should eat more protein on your keto diet. I haven't lost any muscle while on this diet (nor energy). I can tell because my strenght is the same.

Later!

CubanJuice
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by Manic Behavior
      ALA at high doses always puts me into ketosis, even when I'm consuming alot of carbs. I just started r-ala today, hopefully it will be better than regular ALA.
      I used the regular ALA and gave me great results. I usually stick to the one that works. With the supplement industry there are lots of people making their own supps and sometimes they are pretty underdosed (happened to me with melatonin one brand was like eating candy and the other fixed my problem).
      Yesterday I read a study on ALA and r-ALA and you should take 11.11mg of ALA per g of carb or 3.7mg of r-ALA per g of carb...
      I deffinitly think it works great on bumping you and keeping you in ketosis.

rado
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Originally posted by bigjim33
      even without ala, you should be in ketosis at 18g/day
      yes that's true...your carbs are low as it is, how much H2O are you drinking

CubanJuice
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

• Get the Fitness Geared
        Forum App Now!

Rado, about a gallon a day. I'm back on ALA and back testing positve for ketones